Being told I look like somone else seems to upset me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IceCastles said:
That really pisses me off. To be honest, any comments on my looks piss me off because I wish people would stop focusing on my looks. I've been told I'm ugly all of my life; now I'm being told I look tired almost everyday; and when people tell me I look like someone...I pretend I don't know because I'm hoping they'll drop it. Then they repeat and emphasize etc about how much I look like that person. It's like...f!!! DROP IT!

As if some of us aren't vulnerable enough with our self-image. I imagine that they do it to start a conversation but even "outcasts" such as myself wouldn't compare a person's looks to someone else in case they could get offended (e.g. they think that comparison is bad). You'd think these "regular" folks would know that.

I TOTALLY understand you. I just people would stop yapping on about looks and start seeing us for who we are.

Thanks for understanding . I wasn't called ugly. But that is the lowest of the low to call someone ugly.  For whatever reason

Restless soul said:
Forsaken-Knight said:
Austen said:
I agree with Forsaken-Knight...it does sound like your fears are based on low self-esteem. I'm sorry you feel that way though because it sounds like a lot of people might find you an attractive person even though you can't see it yourself. In some ways, I can relate. People make positive comments about my body, but to me I always see a much larger me and that's because I've messed my perception of myself up after years of ED. Low self-esteem and insecurities can often show up as random, senseless reactions.

I think it's a good idea to not pay much attention to what people say, which I admit, is hard to do, but perhaps try to rationalise it? Like, perhaps when people say you look like someone, they don't actually mean your facial features, but perhaps that your mannerism/dressing etc reminds them of that other person (a lot of people aren't good at articulating what they really mean anyway). Or that even if to you the resemblance to this other character carries a negative connotation, but perhaps to the person who said, it's a compliment? The truth is, we don't know what people mean half the time, and ultimately it shouldn't matter unless it's your partner/someone close.

Don't know if this helps at all, but if people are paying you compliments, it might help to focus on the fact that people think you're great looking and that's wonderful :)

I agree..if someone says..hey you look like so and so...they ARE noticing you!  And thats a good thing...Why do you believe tabloids can say all that bs about stars and get away with it?  Slander is illegal.  But they rarely get taken to court.  Its because the stars LOVE the publicity...good or bad!  It works to their advantage.
Hey guys thanks for taking the time to chime in on the subject. A good question for a top pyschologist. But like austen said. I assume and usually think facial features.  This is a purely physical looks related issue. Had it for quite sometime.  It Almost changes my preception about my aoperance if i analyze the person they are comparing me to. 
And forsaken knight. I usually never agree. I assume the worst. And i usually think that person is ununattractive. Basicly I just dont want to look like them . So if that happened to you how would you take it? React?

Ive had a few people say I look like Barry Manilow..who i dont think is all that great looking of a guy.  But after thinking about it...the fact that they were THINKING ABOUT ME AT ALL... was  good thing.  I made an impression.   

I just read a very good book... the ending chapter...is entitled..Disobey Fear..Kill the Old You!  Fear holds us back from so many things... Why do you fear loosing approval from people you have no respect for?  Id love to know who they compared you to...

Facial features can only be arranged in so many ways before some of us start looking like others. I've been told a few times that I look like someone else, or someone stops me and thinks I'm someone they know. It's quite common.

VanillaCreme said:
Facial features can only be arranged in so many ways before some of us start looking like others. I've been told a few times that I look like someone else, or someone stops me and thinks I'm someone they know. It's quite common.

Ok. And when that happens does it ever bother you or annoy you?

Restless soul said:
VanillaCreme said:

No, it doesn't annoy me or bother me at all. I just smile and answer that I'm not who they think. They usually apologize and go on with their day.

VanillaCreme said:
Restless soul said:
VanillaCreme said:

No, it doesn't annoy me or bother me at all. I just smile and answer that I'm not who they think. They usually apologize and go on with their day.

You should play like youre the person they think you are!  See how that transpires! LOL..it would be fun as sh**

Oh arent you so and so...?   Why yes I am how are you doing??  hahahhahah

Latest posts

Back