Road Etiquette

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Celt

For those who drive regularly and meet oncoming traffic in a passing place. Do you put up your hand as a thanks for waiting/driving with care, even if you think you will get zero response?

I make a habit of doing this but am dismayed at the lack of reciprocation by most. I simply do it almost as a salute to the 10% that are friendly enough to wave back.

This isn't meant to be a rant by the way. :)

I thank drivers that stop at the stop sign so I can cross the street, or that turn on the blinkers, but I don't drive so I shouldn't be here... hahahaha

Oh sorry Darling anybody's welcome to comment, perhaps I should have worded it a bit differently.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. I know sometimes like a ditzy friend or mine, she seriously needs concentrate and forgets while passing through a space. But courtesy costs nothing.

I am also suprised at the number of 'profssional drivers' that don't acknowledge as well.

Anyway welcome to the forum and rant away if you feel like it :).

I don't know why, but drivers here just wave at everyone. Even people walking. They really like saying hello.

AmytheTemperamental said:
I don't know why, but drivers here just wave at everyone. Even people walking. They really like saying hello.

Thats nice its good to go out and see friendly faces. :)

if only one finger is extended thats not waving lol

I commute of a what most would consider a busy highway 
I often find myself backing off to allow heavy trucks to change lanes 
I give them a flash of my headlight telling them I am giving them the chance 
In  response I get a flash of their running lights 
I am sure most truck drivers are shocked because often I am just on my motorcycle blocking traffic for them

Truckers get seriously bad press in the UK. You would be forgiven for thinking they were a social menace, although some of them rightly deserve it.

BadGuy said:

if only one finger is extended thats not waving lol

I commute of a what most would consider a busy highway 
I often find myself backing off to allow heavy trucks to change lanes 
I give them a flash of my headlight telling them I am giving them the chance 
In  response I get a flash of their running lights 
I am sure most truck drivers are shocked because often I am just on my motorcycle blocking traffic for them

One finger is the response you get if you forget you're not in the small town anymore and go to wave at someone.

If someone lets me into traffic, I'll give them a wave and smile (with my whole hand, not just one finger :D) .
Most drivers in my city are friendly (for some reason). I try to pass along the favor when I can and let other drivers into traffic as well.

around here some women think that being female gives them the right of way :club:
maybe taking chivalry dangerously to new levels

I'm always friendly toward other drivers when they let me pass or wait at a crossroads on a narrow street, and I always do the same.
It's mostly the youngsters that don't lift a hand or allow others to pass, not all of them ofcourse, but a certain type.

BadGuy said:
around here some women think that being female gives them the right of way  :club:

You'd be surprised what showing a little leg will do, BG. :p

SofiasMami said:
BadGuy said:
around here some women think that being female gives them the right of way  :club:

You'd be surprised what showing a little leg will do, BG. :p

problem is soccer moms in blacked out SUVs
cant see their legs lol

Latest posts

Back