A stupid work

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working as administrative assistant that It's annoying me all the time, with repetitive tasks and hard colleagues which I can't stand. They ask me always the same things on purpose because they know the job is boring. I have to batch hundreds of invoices on data base to account them, changing prices and clients address.
The job is for 6 months, and I'm in the third month where colleagues order me to store work paper, stupid tasks to go to banks to paid bills or to fill repetitive forms. Then they ask me how I deal with the tasks, If I am happy with the work...I am so fed up with everything, it is a stupid work, bad paid and don't motivate me at all. Do you feel the same at work?, How can I change my mind to feel better at work?

planetlonely23 said:
I am working as administrative assistant that It's annoying me all the time, with repetitive tasks and hard colleagues which I can't stand. They ask me always the same things on purpose because they know the job is boring. I have to batch hundreds of invoices on data base to account them, changing prices and clients address.
The job is for 6 months, and I'm in the third month where colleagues order me to store work paper, stupid tasks to go to banks to paid bills or to fill repetitive forms. Then they ask me how I deal with the tasks, If I am happy with the work...I am so fed up with everything, it is a stupid work, bad paid and don't motivate me at all. Do you feel the same at work?, How can I change my mind to feel better at work?

If you don't like your job, the best suggestion I can give you is ... find some meaning for your work. That could be, for example, one of the following:

- A way to be out of your apartment for x hours each day
- A means to pay your bills and support the lifestyle you want (assuming you are happy outside of work)
- A way to practice socializing and communicating with people

Try to make the best of whatever you have. Try to find small things at work that you can appreciate.

Maybe there is one coworker, just one, whom you like, whom you find interesting. I'll tell you while I was working, I was a senior engineer in charge of mentoring a junior guy. I then took that opportunity to pass on my knowledge and experience to that younger guy ... I found that incredibly rewarding and satisfying, even though my job as a whole wasn't.

So, try to find some meaning in it. Put it in context within your life. Where does it fit ? What is its function ? Means to an end ? More than that ? And if it is nothing more than a means to an end, treat it as such, but give it its due importance, because paying your bills is important.

Hope this helps.

Ask yourself what you would like to be doing instead and try to find a realistic plan to get you there.

Thank you for you help. Considering my colleagues, that they are only interested that their work will be done for me they most of it rubbish which they don't want to do and I'll be out soon, so really they don't give a honeysuckle for me. So I have time to think of a better job and well paid then enjoy the salary buying things, therefore offsetting the useless things I do.

First, you do your job well and with a good attitude. It doesnt' matter if you are scrubbing toilets, flipping burgers or doing brain surgery. You go to work and do your best. Every day. Focus on working hard. You are important to making the company work efficiently. Realize that. Then, you need to decide what type of work it is that you really want to do and start taking steps in that direction.

Yes, I do actually feel the same at work. I hate my job. That's why I went back to school last year, trying to get a degree in finance and administration. I failed at that (too much maths), so this year I'm trying a different degree, in computer science and interaction design.

Depending on where you live, going back to school and getting a new degree can be very difficult, even impossible. I know I'm lucky to live in a country where higher education is basically free, so I have that option pretty open to me. I just need to suck it up and keep my current job until I can qualify for something else.

Since your job is a 6 month engagement that you're already halfway through, I'd say hang in there, try to stay positive so you can get a good resume when you finish, and start already now looking for a new job that can start in 3 months. Make exciting plans for the future, and remind yourself that this is only temporary. That usually works for me, at least. (And I sometimes dread going to work so much that I feel physically ill.)

I truly understand this problem with meaningless job. Mine is the same - every day I have to do what I'd prefer not to do at all, just to get paid.
For me it's because I couldn't yet find a way how to turn my passions and dreams into successful projects, so have to do some IT Management... couldn't care less about computers and tech :)

And what's about you, planetlonely23? Do you have some ideas what is your ideal job?

Augusto said:
I truly understand this problem with meaningless job. Mine is the same - every day I have to do what I'd prefer not to do at all, just to get paid.

Here is the thing... I have done all different jobs and it seems no matter WHAT I think the job is going to be about, it is always empty and annoying. My theory is that if I have a boss, they are going to come up with stupid thing for me to do. There seems no point in looking for another "job" because they may have different tasks but there is always some idiot in charge making the work meaningless.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
Augusto said:

Here is the thing... I have done all different jobs and it seems no matter WHAT I think the job is going to be about, it is always empty and annoying. My theory is that if I have a boss, they are going to come up with stupid thing for me to do. There seems no point in looking for another "job" because they may have different tasks but there is always some idiot in charge making the work meaningless.

I understand your feelings. Personally, I often think the same - maybe it's because when boss gives you a task, you can't decide if it's worth doing or not, so you feel that you're losing control over your life. And lost control may lead to the depression...

What I found for myself, is that I need to be self-employed somehow. Maybe this is a thing worth exploring for you too? If you are your only boss, you can return control over your life.

For example, I'm trying to launch an online tourist service startup, but for now stuck with trying to find developer-companion :) Hopefully, I'll find the right person.

It's harder than paid daily job with bosses, but feels more rewarding for mental state and sense of freedom.

What I found for myself, is that I need to be self-employed somehow. Maybe this is a thing worth exploring for you too? If you are your only boss, you can return control over your life.

That is the plan I think. I have to wait a few years until I qualify for retirement. I have a semi important job that means something but management only can show results via new policies and practices so they treat us like we make widgets.  Throwing up new things for us to do that is meaningless. 

Sometimes people tell me to get a different job but I just find it all around. Management can only show how they are working via stupid initiatives and changes. 

It doesn't matter how long I have been in the job everything I do will need to be checked up on an nagged at as if this is day one.

planetlonely23 said:

There is no solution to that problem. I have a similar problem. No idea how to cope.

Other than, change a job.

"The cost of being wrong is less than the cost of doing nothing"

Latest posts

Back