What keeps you alive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahsatan said:
I think people r brave that kill themselves. it takes guts. Then they are free from pain forever!

But they also can't feel any good feelings forever. It would be an endless feeling of nothingness, but you would probably lose your consciousness anyway. If you only see the bad things in life you might think this way, but there is always something good to it.

What really takes guts is to do something against your problems and get your life together instead of complaining about your problems. But this isn't easy and takes a lot of effort, motivation, patience and failing.

I don't want to offend someone who has problems, I just want to encourage them to do something against them.

The several people who have confided their suicidal ideations to me claimed that they wished they could live long lives, but it was the anguish and painful unhappiness that they wanted to end. They all endured and chose not to take that bus out of town that never comes back. Me too actually.

For me, those that choose to cross over to the other side are not weak.
Death has to be one of the most scary things out there.

ahsatan said:
I think people r brave that kill themselves. it takes guts. Then they are free from pain forever!

They're running away and taking an easy way out, instead of facing and overcoming their issues, and maybe eliminating that pain at its source.

I'm quite concerned you view killing oneself to escape the pain of simply living as anything admirable. It makes me worried about where you might end up.

Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
ahsatan said:

They're running away and taking an easy way out, instead of facing and overcoming their issues, and maybe eliminating that pain at its source.

I'm quite concerned you view killing oneself to escape the pain of simply living as anything admirable. It makes me worried about where you might end up.

They are running away from their issues.
Labeling it as the easy way out, that I’m not so sure of.

LittleCrow said:
ahsatan said:

There are only two options: keep living or offing yourself. Face your issues, discussion, mature, hard work or becoming a lifeless stump with zero cares or responsibilities and nothing.
Out of those, yeah, it's the easier choice.

Not everyone is afraid of it like you are either; and even then, most view it as one hump to overcome vs a lifetime of them.

I've been having one of those weeks. Today was probably the worst of it. I guess what keeps me going is knowing how far I have come. I've only really truly started living my life in a meaningful way a short while ago, and there's so much more I can still do.

LittleCrow said:
ahsatan said:

There are only two options: keep living or offing yourself. Face your issues, discussion, mature, hard work or becoming a lifeless stump with zero cares or responsibilities and nothing.
Out of those, yeah, it's the easier choice.

Not everyone is afraid of it like you are either; and even then, most view it as one hump to overcome vs a lifetime of them.

Because everyone who "keeps living" face their issues and are mature and discuss things?  No, those aren't the only two options.

AmyTheTemperamental said:
I've been having one of those weeks. Today was probably the worst of it. I guess what keeps me going is knowing how far I have come. I've only really truly started living my life in a meaningful way a short while ago, and there's so much more I can still do.

You can do anything, my dear :club:

Ending it would greatly hurt my surviving family member. The common fear of bungling it and either ending up in a much worse state or dying in a lot of pain. Curiosity over whether anything positive lies ahead. Sheer spite towards a society that expects men like me to die early so as to not take up space/resources more valid people could be using...

Legalized euthanasia has a lot of unintended consequences, I don't support it, but if an adult wants to take their own lives it's likely they've come to the decision over a very long time. Whatever is causing their misery no doubt feels unresolvable to them, whether true or not. It's not something others can just wade in on with generic commentary regarding the "cowardliness" of the choice, like some wannabe sage with zero empathy.

It’s not the pain I’m scared of. Pain is manageable, even the most excruciating ones because it’s all about letting go and forcing your mind to relax. What keeps me alive is that sliver of hope. That thought I get before I sleep: tomorrow might be a better day. That sliver varies in size, by the hour or day. On the worst days I can feel it slipping, it’s just like this thread I’m holding on to. It’s a strange place to be.

Legalized euthanasia: I don’t mind this at all. For people that have terminal illnesses, this has to be the greatest gift. Strict rules is needed on who gets to use it.

The hope that one day life may get better, and the fact that my life HAS improved somewhat overtime.

Obligation and responsibility. And ironically, the occasional thought of murder. Which is almost comical coming from me, yet there it is.
Probably the reallisation too that I couldn't commit suicide after all this. That would hurt my kids profoundly. Besides which, lucky people like me die hard. We don't get an easy, quiet way out.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore.
Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore —
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

A very profound beauty and truth/search for truth has kept me going for a long, long time. I never thought such things could disappear from my life; but, they have.

I can still, laugh, cry, feel lonely, get angry, be afraid, etc.. etc.. but the beauty is gone. I can barely even listen to music anymore....

...So I guess what keeps me going is... just not wanting to give up. I want to see that beauty again, the goodness... I want my old self back... I want my ears to swim in the sea of all the beautiful music I used to listen to. I want my mind and maybe heart to know and feel those profound truths and to feel the exquisite beauty in the world. I want all the wonderfully hopeful melancholy back...

I feel a stranger in myself... I want to be me again.

*shrugs*

My husband and Jesus Christ. Would have been dead since 2013 had I not found them.

Responsibility , the wife  ,kids , grandkids , work , keeping the wolf from the door , secretly love it really but not friends ...who needs them.

Latest posts

Back