Passing thoughts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blumar

Reaction score
I went for a drive this afternoon to just get out of the house.  Couples strolling down the street hand-in-hand, men, women, and groups of teenagers all apparently busy with daily tasks presumably for their families or significant others.  No group paying attention to any other which is a thing where I live.  I been to other cities where people still talk to one another - stranger to stranger.  But around here, unless I've met you through some sort of app - you don't exist.  That's the mentality anyway.  It's a lonely place to see yourself among so many humans and be completely alone.  So then I got to thinking, I should wear a t-shirt with "Hi" on it and see what happens (of course, I'd never have the courage).  Or, what if people wore some sort of item, maybe a ring or necklace, with an emblem (like the Freemasons) that signified that you were part of this lonely world and that you welcome discussion from other lonelies - that it was safe and ok to strike up a conversation with you.  A sort of "wedding" band for those of us who live in this secret society.

Sometimes it just gets so lonely out there, I have to entertain myself somehow.

that would be a great idea if we lived in a utopian society (also cool idea for a movie :p), but can you imagine the terrible consequences that would happen if something like that existed in this world? People being humiliated, becoming easy prey for criminals/other mean people... also, seems like everyone is more interested in their own phones these days, who even looks up to check out who's passing by? The people around them?

Sad stuff. Argh.

I would actually like that. Sure, if it's discovered it could be trouble, but I think it has much more potential to help. Of course exploitation it's there for.. most things D:

Idk.. I'll have to think about that. How to make it usable. Hmmm

EDIT: for example they could be "smart".. like contain a chip, be marked with one or more "tags" (unique identifier for a community) , and notify you somehow when you come across a person with the same tag. Also to get valid tags there should be a centralized website or something and someone has to validate users. Of course a feedback function would also be needed. Just ideas, anyways. But this way you don't have to physically show the item.
A smartphone app might be enough too, I guess, but it's cooler this way.

blumar said:
I went for a drive this afternoon to just get out of the house.  Couples strolling down the street hand-in-hand, men, women, and groups of teenagers all apparently busy with daily tasks presumably for their families or significant others.  No group paying attention to any other which is a thing where I live.  I been to other cities where people still talk to one another - stranger to stranger.  But around here, unless I've met you through some sort of app - you don't exist.  That's the mentality anyway.  It's a lonely place to see yourself among so many humans and be completely alone.  So then I got to thinking, I should wear a t-shirt with "Hi" on it and see what happens (of course, I'd never have the courage).  Or, what if people wore some sort of item, maybe a ring or necklace, with an emblem (like the Freemasons) that signified that you were part of this lonely world and that you welcome discussion from other lonelies - that it was safe and ok to strike up a conversation with you.  A sort of "wedding" band for those of us who live in this secret society.

Sometimes it just gets so lonely out there, I have to entertain myself somehow.

You, like me, live in California. Save your life ... move.

I agree with you, Nowadays it is very difficult to have contact with people spontaneously. Really I miss those groups where people are promoting a book or a literary act where you can express your opinion with other unknown persons. Besides you talk about the book and suddenly you take the time to talk about your life, only to seize this moment of emptiness of the conversation. But if you don't join this kind of groups you don't have the opportunity to express yourself with other people.

That really is a quite a great and novel idea. And, could actually be something that would sell. Like a "kindness" bracelet of some sort. A "talk to your fellow man" kind of bracelet. I think that it could actually be a very viable idea if someone could get it started and see it through.

There's a group of people that, on a regular basis, stand outside the building across from mine with signs offering free hugs. They always get a mixed reaction. I just avoid going outside when they are...

BadGuy said:

Yukongirl said:
There's a group of people that, on a regular basis, stand outside the building across from mine with signs offering free hugs. They always get a mixed reaction. I just avoid going outside when they are...

That's kinda sweet, though, I would hug them.

DarkSelene said:
BadGuy said:

Yukongirl said:

That's kinda sweet, though, I would hug them.

It really is, I just have personal space issues  ;)

I just saw this thought online:

There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn't even jump puddles for you.

Yukongirl said:

I would take a back exit and go around the corner....even if I wanted a hug.  It would have to be someone I knew and trusted.

Yukongirl said:
It really is, I just have personal space issues  ;)

Oh, I have it too, totally understand. I'm just trying to be optimistic and think I would go there hug them... hahaha

Latest posts

Back