Making sense of it all

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Somnambulist

I just wanted to share something with you all that has had a huge positive impact on my life over the past year or so. It would be great if even one of you gets something from this.

I was at a Barnes and Noble bookstore a year ago, and came across a best selling book called "The Power of Now". I was immediately skeptical of it for two reasons - one, because it was a best seller (public opinion is generally worthless to me), and two, because it was about spirituality. I thought yeah, what a crock of mumbo jumbo.

But, I picked it up and started reading it. The first few pages not only captivated me, but they made complete sense to me. They began to paint a picture of why I had suffered so terribly all these years ... a remarkably accurate picture. Over time, I finished that book, and ultimately went on to listen to pretty much every single audiobook authored by this incredibly wise man - Eckhart Tolle.

If I had to summarize his teachings in a sentence, I'd say that he provides a simple yet thorough and powerful framework for understanding life and our world.

Tolle has a way with words, when he talks, such that I imagine he is able to get through to pretty much every person out there, regardless of education, background, or religious views. He is able to describe some pretty abstract and complex material in the simplest of words. The only requirement, however, as he puts it, is that "you have suffered enough" ... and I have, so I was ready to gain from his teachings and did.

The teachings didn't make my life better ... in fact, my reality has, incidentally, gotten exponentially worse. But, I now understand, deeply, why my life has turned out the way that it has. And that gives me huge satisfaction, even though I often forget this and claim that I don't know what it's all about.

Either you are ready to listen to Tolle and learn from him, or you will (likely) not be able to stand him. The irony is that, what Tolle has to say is not something someone can be convinced of unless he/she already recognizes it.

In any case, I unequivocally recommend his teachings to any and all.

Hey som. Yes you mentioned him on my thread and I didn't get the chance to let you know that I do know him. Stumbled upon his videos on YouTube. ( isn't that where we find all the gurus of today
Anyway, I only watched maybe one or two of his videos he is vwry relaxing none the less. I might go back since you seem to speak highly of the man.

Latest posts

Back