Art and creativity as a model for healing from loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I have been feeling a pull inside to create visual art as a way of representing what I am going through lately - the unremitting sense of alienation and isolation brought on by living in a world gone mad with chronic pain. I used to create my identity by literally breaking my body down and reshaping it in the gym with weights. Now that I can no longer do that due to back pain, I need to find some new methodology for expressing myself. I like the idea of art because it allows me to integrate so many diverse strands of influence - nature, music, literature, and life itself. Thinking about undertaking this approach, however, is very intimidating. I have no technical skill. Moreover, the physical act of making art is probably not the easiest thing for someone to deal with who has chronic low back pain. 

Is there anyone out there who uses art as a way of trying to keep the depression, alienation and suicidal ideation at bay? Any success stories? I can't imagine things remaining the way they are right now, something has to change and this might be just the thing for me.

I make electronic music using software (novice level, of course), and have made a few songs that people have liked.

I also love home decoration and, a few years ago, transformed my apartment, and many people have been impressed by my work.

Apart from that, I write poems (all dark and melancholic).

And finally, I also lift weights, which is a form of body art, as you mentioned doing yourself. My body is far from an art form at the moment, but has been pretty impressive in the past.

And yes, art is a great way to keep the honeysuckle at bay.

Don't let the back pain keep you from making the most of life, buddy. There is a path for you out there; you just haven't found it yet.

Lost_in_necropolis said:
"I have been feeling a pull inside to create visual art as a way of representing what I am going through"

Why not give it a go? 

The world of fine art is full of people who create art for reasons similar to yourself.

Try not to do 'finished artwork' too soon as it's kind of demoralising - I would suggest keeping a sketchbook to start with.  

A tabletop easel is a great thing to have if you suffer from back pain - the worst thing is to be crouching over a desk.

If the urge to create art is strong in you then I would encourage you to explore it, as I believe it can be therapeutic.

Don't let a lack of technical skill deter you - you will find your own methods in time (and the internet is full of helpful articles).

Good luck and enjoy the process!

I like to draw, and have my own set of original characters that represent different things about my life, one of which is a girl who suffers from back pain and has trouble walking as some of my family members have also struggled with back pain. Most of my drawings are pretty lighthearted, though I have considered drawing something darker and more explicit in how I really feel most of the time. I highly recommend this to you, it's a great way to express oneself.

Lost_in_necropolis said:
Recently I have been feeling a pull inside to create visual art as a way of representing what I am going through lately - the unremitting sense of alienation and isolation brought on by living in a world gone mad with chronic pain. I used to create my identity by literally breaking my body down and reshaping it in the gym with weights. Now that I can no longer do that due to back pain, I need to find some new methodology for expressing myself. I like the idea of art because it allows me to integrate so many diverse strands of influence - nature, music, literature, and life itself. Thinking about undertaking this approach, however, is very intimidating. I have no technical skill. Moreover, the physical act of making art is probably not the easiest thing for someone to deal with who has chronic low back pain. 

Is there anyone out there who uses art as a way of trying to keep the depression, alienation and suicidal ideation at bay? Any success stories? I can't imagine things remaining the way they are right now, something has to change and this might be just the thing for me.

I think art and creativity are great ideas for keeping life's problems at bay. You don't need any special technical skills to get started, you just need to get out of your own head and go. Creativity can open doors to communities you never knew existed.
I took up playing violin a few years ago on a whim and it's a great distraction. There's a large art museum nearby that I go to often just to wander around and talk to docents. If there's a museum in your area, they might offer classes in visual arts.
The trick is to not think too much about it, just pick something and get started.

Lost_in_necropolis said:

yeah, i render my sorrows into music and it feels very good.. to just put it out there. to watch your feelings manifest into something tangible and find people who relate to it, and enjoy it. i would recommend it. at the same time, it doesn't rly relieve your feelings, but it feels good nonetheless.

I don't know about art, but I know about creativity and I think it certainly helps. Heck, I find when I'm busy and working on a project, I'm less lonely. Like, just occupying your mind certainly helps. It doesn't cure or treat anything, but it keeps you occupied and stops you thinking about it. At least, that's what I find.

Latest posts

Back