Told to consider pharmaceutics

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpendable

Reaction score
I don't know if I mentioned I was going to therapy since june. Strangely enough, I was told there was nothing wrong with me in mental terms, and last week I had a meeting with the head psychologist from where I'm going. I had a session in a "mirror room" and everything went fine. Just some days ago my therapist told me I may need to ask for psichiatric evaluation; nothing bad, just an option. It seems they want me to abstain from bad thougs, I.e nihilism and lack of meaning. I asked her if that was the only option they considered and said yes. I was shocked and kinda dissapointed seeing how I was left just one more session. I recently also had a very frustrating issue with my dental treatment. It really struck me since I was told that I was "ok", and in both cases I was reaching the end of that process. Now they also want to continue the therapy the next year. It's still my only choice to go with the "drugs", but I'm almost certain won't. I told her my thoughts are mine and are uncomfortable because they are hard to swallow... but they are true. The truth is more important than feeling well and taking some pills won't change reality. I guess it was true psychology was made mostly to normalize behavior.

Nihilism and lack of meaning, redundant but ok, could be interpreted by your therapists as depressive state of being, which will be medicated because most times (especially in worse circumstances) it's shown biologically as a chemical imbalance in the brain. If you know how those pills work, you'll understand.
Psychology is normally studied going further away from what is considered "normal" and trying to understand the minds of people that actually can't be put in certain little segregated groups. Now, if your therapist feels like you have a secret "need" to solve that lack of meaning you say you don't believe in, then he'll probably try things you're not going to feel happy about because it's those things that you never thought of doing yourself.

Now, if you belive you don't have any problems and that is your truth the decision is, of course, on your hands. I'm pretty sure no one will force you to act "normally" or to take pills and forget about your own sense of what's real and what's not.

Xpendable said:
I don't know if I mentioned I was going to therapy since june. Strangely enough, I was told there was nothing wrong with me in mental terms, and last week I had a meeting with the head psychologist from where I'm going. I had a session in a "mirror room" and everything went fine. Just some days ago my therapist told me I may need to ask for psichiatric evaluation; nothing bad, just an option. It seems they want me to abstain from bad thougs, I.e nihilism and lack of meaning. I asked her if that was the only option they considered and said yes. I was shocked and kinda dissapointed seeing how I was left just one more session. I recently also had a very frustrating issue with my dental treatment. It really struck me since I was told that I was "ok", and in both cases I was reaching the end of that process. Now they also want to continue the therapy the next year. It's still my only choice to go with the "drugs", but I'm almost certain won't. I told her my thoughts are mine and are uncomfortable because they are hard to swallow... but they are true. The truth is more important than feeling well and taking some pills won't change reality. I guess it was true psychology was made mostly to normalize behavior.
Actually the right medication can change your reality by the way you perceive it, if a medication helps in allowing less negative thinking the result can make you more comfortable in your own skin..but finding the right medication sadly is often a trial of errors

sothatwasmylife said:
Xpendable said:
Actually the right medication can change your reality by the way you perceive it, if a medication helps in allowing less negative thinking the result can make you more comfortable in your own skin..but finding the right medication sadly is often a trial of errors

Changing perception is not the same as changing reality. If I take a painkiller that doesn't mean my skin won't bleed from a knife cut. Is the opposite, I am comfortable with my own perception and this is a struggle that derives from long considerations. Is not negative thinking, is objective thinking and it can be very damaging, that's true, but I won't deny my own state to fool my brain from the nature of reality.

True, changing perception is not the same as changing reality. But changing perception can enable you to notice more of the positive things, instead of just the negatives.

However, if you are, as you say, comfortable with your perception and the way it makes you feel, then surely there's no need for any medication (or even therapy)?

Medication, no. Therapy, probably. I'am comfortable with the way I can deconstruct reality, but doing that you realize there's no positives or negatives. I call that the hollow drive.

Latest posts

Back