What Defines You?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo

Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone else, but many people in my life have exactly no idea what I'm about. Some have called me ungrateful because I don't get down and kiss their feet when they do me a favor. On the contrary. I'm very grateful for things others do for me. I play video games a lot and have been called a man-child as a result. lol It's incredible. Most people will you that they don't care about what others have to say about them. I don't believe that's entirely true myself.

I don't know what others think of me but suspect they think i'm a bit of an oddball, certainly different from them inn lifestyle and hold different values which sometimes pleases me and other times makes me wish I was more like them, as I think life would be easier.

Do I care what others think? Yes i'm afraid I do and that's something I would definitely like to change but I don't believe it's possible.

Almost impossible to define someone using words. Also, people will judge your ways by their own views of your actions and words... I also don't know if our own judgement could be the most correct one.

Do a personality test or something, easier :D

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

Sorry I could resist that opportunity. Honestly, I have no clue anymore.

Yup you are defined by what you do day in and day out. Your actions define you.

Its nice to say you are this way or that, but if your actions dont reflect what you say then you are just deluding yourself.

What defines me is definitely that I am a crazy dog lady

Yes, hard to put into words, but I'll try ...

- My non-conformism ... I don't give half a horseshit about conventions, trends, etiquette, customs, or traditions. I say/do what feels right to me.

- My idealism ... I don't give two shits about how things are, only how they ought to be.

kamya said:

Its nice to say you are this way or that, but if your actions dont reflect what you say then you are just deluding yourself.

True ! We are all, every one of us, hypocrites.

Somnambulist said:
kamya said:

May I ask with all due respect Somnabulist, how it is that you know we are all, every one of us, hypocrites?

constant stranger said:
Somnambulist said:
kamya said:

May I ask with all due respect Somnabulist, how it is that you know we are all, every one of us, hypocrites?

Ok, fair question. While I don't have a conclusive proof for you, I do know that every single person I have ever known, including myself, has proved to be a hypocrite at one time or another, about one subject or another, to one degree or another.

While it would be nice to be able to survey all 7 billion people, I'm going to make a reasonable assumption about human nature, given what I have experienced and know about the human ego (and I guess you'll have to take my word for it for the sake and duration of this discussion ... or not !). Kind of like I assume that every human out there breathes Oxygen, but I don't know for sure coz I haven't surveyed all 7 billion.

As Kamya put it, we all like to claim certain beliefs or values, but often fail to live up to them. Something like claiming publicly to be a philanthropist, but doing the exact opposite, might be considered hypocrisy at a macroscopic level. Or, something like saying to me, "I'm always here for you, if you need a confidant.", and then, the first time I try to reach that person, he/she is unavailable because he/she is out shopping at Macy's ... that could constitute hypocrisy on a more microscopic level. I've done it to others, too.

Every single person I've ever known has contradicted him/herself, in just such ways, at some point or another. We are all, every one of us, hypocrites, whether we claim to be or not :)

OK, every person you've ever known is a hypocrite and therefore you know it's a reasonable assumption that all 7 billion humans are hypocrites.....and I'll have to take your word for it. Fair enough, you've made a statement.

constant stranger said:
OK, every person you've ever known is a hypocrite and therefore you know it's a reasonable assumption that all 7 billion humans are hypocrites.....and I'll have to take your word for it.  Fair enough, you've made a statement.

Yes Sir, not just for the one reason you picked out of my response (in a futile attempt to invalidate me), but for all the reasons I mentioned.

It really isn't important to me for you to agree with me.

constant stranger said:
You win buddy.  Congratulations.
Actually, you win, because, according to you, some humans aren't hypocrites. That means they must have some remarkable machinery that allows them to switch off their ego permanently, or they were born with total immunity to the ego. And that has to be the discovery of the millenium ! Awesome ! I'm happy for them. I didn't win anything, you did :)

Somnambulist said:
constant stranger said:
You win buddy.  Congratulations.
Actually, you win, because, according to you, some humans aren't hypocrites. That means they must have some remarkable machinery that allows them to switch off their ego permanently, or they were born with total immunity to the ego. And that has to be the discovery of the millenium ! Awesome ! I'm happy for them. I didn't win anything, you did :)

Actually I have not made any such assertion on this thread.

I also think this thread has wandered off topic.

Latest posts

Back