Has the election devastated your friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyFoxSeaton

Reaction score
I live in a deep blue state but like over a million people in my deep blue state I voted for Trump.  Unfortunately for me.. everyone I work with and all of my friends not only didn't vote for him -- are radical psychos. Who have proceeded to act like two year olds. 

• My boss is an otherwise kind black man who practically is Barak Obama. Acts similar... looks similar and has a wife who acts and looks like Michelle. However, after two years of working for him he let it be known that he was upset with me and took a shot. I fear this could only get worse as time goes on and anger builds.
  • My co worker, bosses underling is acting IMHO so bad. She rants on Facebook and basically refuses to talk to me. The good news on her is that she is leaving in March but I fear she will turn the boss against me. 
  • If you are asking how they know who I voted for, they don't... but when they go on and on and on about how awful Trump is, I just can't get it "up" to join in with enthusiasm. 
  • I had a close board of friends that i thought were friends. But they have proven themselves to put their political views over me. They would rather call me a racist and argue with me about everything I say than realize and or respect that other rational people can have different views. I have lost all respect for them and I cannot see myself every being able to talk to them again.  I am only ok as a friend as long as I buckle down and think like they do. This is actually the second time I have left the board. The first time was over a similar issue where they seemed to want to deal with me only if I did what they wanted to I went back and decided I would take a different view and just view them as people who I talked to about banal things. So have a group of friends that don't really care about me but will listen or no one to talk to. 
  • All of this leaves me with basically zero friends -- at work -- and at home.  I have about 10 Facebook friends and if I drop them it will be 5. 

it really makes my wonder how he won
It seems like Trump had taken a shot at just about everyone at some point or another but he got the votes
I dont understand why people vote party rather than the persons stand

This is also the reason politics and religion talk often gets heated and ugly

My question , why did you pick Trump over Clinton ?

BadGuy said:

It would be foolish to answer that. Usually the only thing it does is allow people to tell me how wrong I am. Or a racist. Anyway, anyone lost friend over this election?

Unfortunately, a lot of people, probably the majority, handle political disagreement by attacking the person instead of their viewpoint. Ironically, I think this might have been one of the reasons Trump won because when you label everyone who disagrees with you as racist and sexist then you shut down debate and pretty much lose any chance of changing their mind.

On another note, maybe your work colleagues would be better off acknowledging the fact that Hillary Clinton was not the right candidate to run in a anti-establishment election. I say all of this as a Kiwi who neither supported Trump or Clinton.

BadGuy said:
I'm not American but in my opinion this election didn't come down to people voting on party allegiance as much as it did to the fact that a lot of people felt frustrated by the political establishment.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
BadGuy said:

It would be foolish to answer that. Usually the only thing it does is allow people to tell me how wrong I am. Or a racist. Anyway, anyone lost friend over this election?

sorry 
I wasnt looking to trash talk

Paraiyar said:
BadGuy said:
I'm not American but in my opinion this election didn't come down to people voting on party allegiance as much as it did to the fact that a lot of people felt frustrated by the political establishment.

It is interesting that Paraiyar has such a good grasp on it. Since he is a Kiwi. Interestingly though one of these friends that I am going to be dropping is also a Kiwi. She does not agree with you and seems to equate niceness with Hillary or the liberal way of thinking. Like you can't be nice and also stand up for your rights. 

No worries Bad Guy but I have met this board and it does seem to go off track with nasty arguments so I would prefer not to get into the fertile weeds of why... and stay on topic as to if you have lost any friends. 

The election would have been a joke no matter who won. Better luck in 4 years.....you know, when Kanye runs.

What goes on in Washington DC should not be the sum total of anyone's life.

There's an old saying advising against talking about politics and religion in mixed company. People go nuts on those topics and that goes for all sides. I personally don't care who my coworkers or boss voted for. Why should I? I'm there to work, earn a living and that's it. Nor have I ever dumped a friend IRL who has different viewpoints. It seems petty.

AmytheTemperamental said:
The election would have been a joke no matter who won. Better luck in 4 years.....you know, when Kanye runs.
Kim Kardashian vs Mike Tyson could be interesting for 2020.

Respect to all and good question....I was personally very affected by the election and know a lot of people who were traumatized by it.

At the end of the day somebody wouldn't be happy on what the end result would have been. If people don't want to be your friend anymore because just like them,you have the right to vote for whoever you wanted at the end of the day. Hopefully you voted because you feel trump WILL be the right for the job not because so and so voted for him and you follow in their path.

And too me the whole race card is really old now. The state I live in trump had a strong following and ended up winning the votes for it. 85% were all non whites who voted for trump. My co workers mostly black supported trump.

But either way, 4 years of change is coming!!!!!!!

Healing2me said:
Respect to all and good question....I was personally very affected by the election and know a lot of people who were traumatized by it.

The thing I don't understand is that according to surveys, the majority of people involved in these anti-Trump protests didn't vote. People are getting so worked up over this and yet voter turnout was so incredibly low...

Paraiyar said:
Healing2me said:

The thing I don't understand is that according to surveys, the majority of people involved in these anti-Trump protests didn't vote. People are getting so worked up over this and yet voter turnout was so incredibly low...

Yeah, that's what makes me sick about these anti trump fuckwads. Im totally fine with people that want to protest peacefully but to burn down buildings, vandalized vehicles, and even going as far going up to someone on the street putting a knife to their throats and asking "did you vote for trump?". To me thats very uncalled for but yet the anti trump people supports this act of violence and claims trump is going to do all these bad things when he's in office.

Paraiyar said:
Healing2me said:

True.

It was the lowest voter turnout in twenty years.

The world has gone mad. These people that feel empowered now with the bullying and harassing will not feel so empowered when the winds of change blow. People need to get wise. Respect, community, civility - these are not expendable. With the blessing of the government, the news media, and the popular culture, it has become okay to attack a certain type of person just for existing. This type of person supposedly represents "the majority." What they fail to realize is that once you unleash that sort of negative energy, it can't be indefinitely controlled or otherwise contained. It's very sad where this is all heading. My eyes are open, but many others are walking around completely blinded drinking the Kool-Aid.

bleed_the_freak said:
The world has gone mad. These people that feel empowered now with the bullying and harassing will not feel so empowered when the winds of change blow. People need to get wise. Respect, community, civility - these are not expendable. With the blessing of the government, the news media, and the popular culture, it has become okay to attack a certain type of person just for existing. This type of person supposedly represents "the majority." What they fail to realize is that once you unleash that sort of negative energy, it can't be indefinitely controlled or otherwise contained. It's very sad where this is all heading. My eyes are open, but many others are walking around completely blinded drinking the Kool-Aid.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back