Incense as Breathing Regulator for Anxiety

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kianda

Reaction score
I thought I'd share this with you since it helped me.

I've been socially anxious for many years, which has impacted on my loneliness issues.

When I became interested in Buddhism I started to meditate with incense (joss sticks).

One of the things I realised about burning scent is that it regulates my breathing, and the effect lasts for several hours after the stick has finished burning.

I notice that I'm breathing easier, and am less anxious.  My breathing is in the middle range (not shallow or deep) and it's a really nice feeling (one might call it a state of calm).

I find that scented candles have the same effect.  Any pleasant-smelling candle will do, as this has nothing to do with aromatherapy as such.

My favourite scent of the moment is French vanilla.

Feeling more relaxed has improved the way I interact with people.  For example, I no longer mind being seen in the garden - therefore I no longer do things like put out the bins under cover of darkness in order to avoid having a conversation with my neighbour!

Sounds like it improves your sence of self, wich ofcourse is a good thing, I used to have periods where I would avoid others for the most part I was feeling down myself in those times, when I'm feeling better about myself I don't even think about it and just go about my business.

Stress definetly worsens that sensation, I see how meditation and aromatherapy could help in that, my preffered method is punching and kicking a boxingbag though :p, also everything smells the same to me, my ability to smell is messed up :(

MisterLonely said:
[...] my preffered method is punching and kicking a boxingbag [..]

Yeah I do that too!  Any which way that works :D

Great topic, Kianda ! Interesting that it has such an impact on your breathing.

I LOVE incense (and candles), and use it every morning and night to help me relax. I like the natural woody fragrances - Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musk, Pine.

This is my fav brand:
morning-star-incense.png

I don't really like these much.. I find the smells too strong. I very much prefer just going out, in nature, or the smell that remains after you clean the room with vacuum cleaner.

while there was a time when I used incense and still like various flavours, I read somewhere that they contain carcinogens? wonder if that`s true

I love burning resin incense. Favorite brand is nature nature or Fred soll sticks. For non pure resin sticks i like satya Sai baba brand.

If you are worried about the smoke you can buy the essential oils and an essential oil diffuser.

I burn them before I leave and when I come back a month later the smell is still there in my room.

zero said:
while there was a time when I used incense and still like various flavours, I read somewhere that they contain carcinogens? wonder if that`s true

Life's too short to worry about carcinogens :p

kamya said:
[...] i like satya Sai baba brand. [...]

That's my favourite brand - their Nag Champa is exactly what a good Indian joss stick should be like!

Wayfarer said:
I don't really like these much.. I find the smells too strong [...]

I prefer a medium-light scent and do find that some of the cheaper brands are too smokey.

I always open the windows slightly throughout the house when I'm burning them, so the house gets a good airing at the same time.

It's a win win situation :)

Somnambulist said:
zero said:

Life's too short to worry about carcinogens :p

lol :D but seriously the best sort of incense is completely natural, with a masala base of natural plant extracts and oils.

You don't even have to burn them to smell them. I have some Satya rose incense which scents the room from within the packet!

Somnambulis said:
[...]

This is my fav brand:
morning-star-incense.png

I'm not familiar with Morning Star incense - is it the sort without a stick in the middle?  I'll try the Sandalwood if I can get hold of it.

Latest posts

Back