Are you lonelier than most?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless soul

Reaction score
What I mean by that is, the people you see and come across day to day, or just people you observe out and about?
Of course there is no way of knowing by a brief encounter 
Or just by observing them. But if you had to guess*

Haha this is a pretty weird question for me!

I can't connect with anyone. It could be that someone out of all the people I see think they're incredibly lonely! However if you put it into perspective, compare their lives to my own then it may appear that one of us gain some sort of enlightenment out of it, and stop feeling lonely!

Maybe I'm not getting my point out properly, but anyone can feel lonely. Right? It's not possible to give loneliness a metric (as far as I know that is!), but if we compare and contrast amongst each other, I think this would cause certain individuals to think twice about the cause of their loneliness.

I wouldn't know if I'm lonelier than most and I wouldn't want to guess. What good does that do? You don't know the people you observe, so why should I try to compare myself to them? My life is my own. Their life is their own. It does no good, to you or them, to compare, so why would you want to? It's not a contest. Life your life and let them live theirs. If you don't like something, change it, if you can. If you can't, accept it is what it is and move on.

dokidoki said:
Haha this is a pretty weird question for me!

I can't connect with anyone. It could be that someone out of all the people I see think they're incredibly lonely! However if you put it into perspective, compare their lives to my own then it may appear that one of us gain some sort of enlightenment out of it, and stop feeling lonely!

Maybe I'm not getting my point out properly, but anyone can feel lonely. Right? It's not possible to give loneliness a metric (as far as I know that is!), but if we compare and contrast amongst each other, I think this would cause certain individuals to think twice about the cause of their loneliness.

Typically I mean by lonley to be socially. Not having fullfilling connections socially. Just getting the sense they don't wabt to be that way, alone. Like many of us. But cannot break the cycle of it. The routine. Meeting people or having a meaningful relationship. And yes if you have a meaningful relationship that means to me less lonley. No reason to quibble over that

Idk, aquantiances, people's you meet. Do they seem to be doing
Better than you when it comes to having a social life?

I'd assume most people have a few real-life friends, people they can talk to outside of work or call on the weekends for company. But I'm better off in some areas as I don't feel my self-worth is tied to things like that or a relationship anymore.

;)Restless soul  I would have to say that sometimes I might be...... said:
What I mean by that is, the people you see and come across day to day, or just people you observe out and about?

justsayin4897 said:
;)Restless soul  I would have to say that sometimes I might be...... said:

Ok, you are on the right site in that case 😊

Loneliness means different things for different people so what states make me lonely might not be as bothering for someone else and vice versa. So even if I know the conditions surrounding another person's life, I don't think I can guess or assess how lonely they are, nor I can or want to compare what I consider as "loneliness" with what goes in their life.

Separating my loneliness from others makes it easier to analyze and see what might help me to deal and cope with it. That also avoids bringing out any feeling or statement suggesting some sort of competition indicating one is having it worse than the other; Never helps when listening to others talk about their issues, sympathizing or giving any advice. Therefore it would be good to cross out those thoughts, imo.

TheRealCallie said:
I wouldn't know if I'm lonelier than most and I wouldn't want to guess.  What good does that do?  You don't know the people you observe, so why should I try to compare myself to them?  My life is my own. Their life is their own.  It does no good, to you or them, to compare, so why would you want to?  It's not a contest.  Life your life and let them live theirs.  If you don't like something, change it, if you can.  If you can't, accept it is what it is and move on.

Yeah, ok. That made me think.

I was going to say I thought I was lonelier than most people but then I don't know the people at all really well that I see at work or at a store, etc, etc. I got to work on getting over my own loneliness because I can't accept my current situation.

Well from what I observe people I see around the area
Over the years that they seemed to be doing much better than I was. I.e girls. Or friend's. Simple as that

But of course there are many variables. Can the guy with friends whos friends all have girl friends be lonley and feeling inadequate due to that fact? Yes, that also happens more often than not.

Restless soul said:
Well from what I observe people I see around the area
Over the years that they seemed to be doing much better than I was. I.e girls. Or friend's. Simple as that

"That they seemed." That tells a lot right there. How do you really know how they are when they let their guard down? Maybe what these people that are less lonely than us really know how to do is disguise it a lot better than a lot of us here.

If they had what was ostensibly a girlfriend and I
Didn't at the time then they were less lonley. Yes you are less alone and lonley usually if you have a girlfriend. Unless you have some deep seated issues. Which I do have. Just look at some of my posts. And no, I am not bragging. Nothing to brag about

Of course it is nothing to brag about. None of what this is about is worth bragging about. I get it.

Restless soul said:
If they had what was ostensibly a girlfriend  and I
Didn't at the time then they were less lonley. Yes you are less alone and lonley usually if you have a girlfriend. Unless you have some deep seated issues. Which I do have. Just look at some of my posts. And no, I am not bragging. Nothing to brag about

Less lonely?  How on earth could you possibly know that? 

I bet I could have given you a run for your money when I was still with my ex.  Single people don't corner the market on loneliness.  Sometimes, it's worse when you aren't single.  Because you have someone, yet at the same time, you don't have them at all, because their friends are more important, because the bar is more important, because everything else in the world is more important. 

Until you lived in another person's shoes, don't assume what their life if like.

Latest posts

Back