Dealing with social cravings?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokidoki

Reaction score
From time to time, I feel like I'm drowning and every aspect of me starts to drain. My attitude, appetite, attention (this alliteration is not intentional, I promise!) and I get really, really antsy. I get the urge to communicate with someone, don't care who it is or how I feel about them. At this point it's near impossible to shake this feeling off, I've considered looking into any OTC relief but I don't know what to look for, pretty clueless about this stuff!

I absolutely HATE it when this happens. It's a disgustingly terrible feeling that I can't begin to explain in mere words.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this or does anyone have any meaningful advice?

You will have to elaborate a tiny bit more for me. But so far
The title sounds almost crazy enough to be a thread by me

Restless soul said:

What exactly do you want me to elaborate?

Sounds pretty legit to me. I miss things that seem normal to others. Talking to someone. Laughing with people. Those kinda basic things. I'd totally call it social cravings. I used to joke about visiting random prisoners to not be so alone (studied close to a prison). Maybe they'd be happy to have someone visiting.

It never used to bother. I was so focused in my life on my career, school, etc that i really didn't realize that i was missing anything. I have done a lot of things in my life and have accomplished a lot on a lot of levels. However, I finally realized i didnt' have a vast circle of people like others seems to. Maybe some people just don't.

dokidoki said:
Restless soul said:

What exactly do you want me to elaborate?

Like what's going on. What you feel the need for specifically?
how old are you?

Yep. Especially in college being surrounded by people I couldn't relate to, and desperately wanting friends. Sometimes I'd just listen to radio or Podcast for some familiar company.

Youre not alone i feel like this today im stuck at home feeling pretty socially isolated. Theres nothing wromg with craving company,

Meaw said:
Sounds pretty legit to me. I miss things that seem normal to others. Talking to someone. Laughing with people. Those kinda basic things.  I'd totally call it social cravings. I used to joke about visiting random prisoners to not be so alone (studied close to a prison). Maybe they'd be happy to have someone visiting.

You know, if I were in your shoes I'd probably have actually gone there!

How do you comfort yourself in these times, do you have any pets by any chance?

Tealeaf said:
Yep. Especially in college being surrounded by people I couldn't relate to, and desperately wanting friends. Sometimes I'd just listen to radio or Podcast for some familiar company.

Yes! I do that too, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it out. Can you recommend any podcasts?

freckles said:
Youre not alone i feel like this today im stuck at home feeling pretty socially isolated. Theres nothing wromg with craving company,

So what did you end up doing today then?

No pets, nothing, I just... wait. Happy for ideas X)
Sometimes I play computer games though.

Most of the time, yes. However, trying to do anything social with anyone is more of a hassle anymore to where it's not worth it. What happened to simply hanging out with friends instead of having to almost plan it almost a week out? :/

Not only that but all I ever do is visit relatives, but I've become a 3rd wheel at everything. Everyone else is talking about their lives while I pretty much don't have a life.

dokidoki said:
Yes! I do that too, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it out. Can you recommend any podcasts?

Perhaps not any that you'd find interesting. I listen to a couple podcasts for Final Fantasy XIV the game if that's something you're into. Asimov has some pretty great short stories as well if you're into science fiction rather than podcasts.

Meaw said:

You're copying my strategy! Haha, what games do you play :eek:

niceguysfinishlast said:
Most of the time, yes. However, trying to do anything social with anyone is more of a hassle anymore to where it's not worth it. What happened to simply hanging out with friends instead of having to almost plan it almost a week out? :/

Not only that but all I ever do is visit relatives, but I've become a 3rd wheel at everything. Everyone else is talking about their lives while I pretty much don't have a life.

Haha, I wouldn't understand. Never had the luxury of being able to spend time with anyone you'd call a friend!

Tealeaf said:
dokidoki said:

Perhaps not any that you'd find interesting. I listen to a couple podcasts for Final Fantasy XIV the game if that's something you're into. Asimov has some pretty great short stories as well if you're into science fiction rather than podcasts.

Ah, unfortunately I'm not very much into gaming. I've always found it really difficult to engage in literature. I can never distract myself if there isn't any audio (hur dur you can just play music when you read. ok I didn't think of that). Thanks contribution! :)

Dokidoki - mostly games such as Archeage, Rift, Warframe, Skyrim. Staying at one a few months with a secondary game to switch with, then trading one or both when they seem to get dull. Then I just circle the games til I get back to start, and continue that way. Rift was great, but temporarily quit it when their 5 more lvls expansion would cost money :(
However, this does not help completely, it's just a way to kill time while waiting.

Niceguys - we call it fifth wheel here, and I experience that a lot as well. Might be an epidemic starting.

dokidoki said:
Meaw said:

You're copying my strategy! Haha, what games do you play :eek:

niceguysfinishlast said:

Haha, I wouldn't understand. Never had the luxury of being able to spend time with anyone you'd call a friend!

Tealeaf said:
dokidoki said:

Ah, unfortunately I'm not very much into gaming. I've always found it really difficult to engage in literature. I can never distract myself if there isn't any audio (hur dur you can just play music when you read. ok I didn't think of that). Thanks contribution! :)

Believe me, it only happens once or twice a year anymore. :/

Meaw said:
Dokidoki - mostly games such as Archeage, Rift, Warframe, Skyrim. Staying at one a few months with a secondary game to switch with, then trading one or both when they seem to get dull. Then I just circle the games til I get back to start, and continue that way. Rift was great, but temporarily quit it when their 5 more lvls expansion would cost money :(
However, this does not help completely, it's just a way to kill time while waiting.

Niceguys - we call it fifth wheel here, and I experience that a lot as well. Might be an epidemic starting.

Third wheel, fifth wheel, same concept. XP

niceguysfinishlast said:
Meaw said:

Yeah, just depends on whether you're on a motorbike or a jeep :p

Meaw said:

You should play League with me! ^_^

Somnambulist said:
niceguysfinishlast said:
Meaw said:

Yeah, just depends on whether you're on a motorbike or a jeep :p

What if you're rockin' a tank?!

tumblr_nls818UN8B1r94kvzo1_400.gif

Find some activity to allows you to put some smile on someone else's lips:) It seems we find happiness by making others happy:) Reduce activity that keep you away from ppl:) Join volunteer groups if there are any around you, go out to parks and shows you fancy:) And best of it all, learn to recreate your personality to become cheerful and become d type ppl like to be around:) The more ppl you generally get to mix with, d higher d tendency of you meeting d right ppl:)

Latest posts

Back