Commonalities

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Somnambulist

We often focus on how we stand out or differ, and sometimes we argue and bicker, so here's a thread that's all about what we have in common. Recognizing commonalities can promote a feeling of oneness, and I think we need that, esp. in a world that finds it all too easy to alienate people.

I'll start by telling you a bit about myself, and you do the same, and also point out what you have in common with anyone else who posted before you. (For instance, you can follow my post by telling me that you love wine too !)

- I'm in my 30s and I wonder if I'll spend my whole life alone
- I'm not quite an alcoholic but definitely drink more (red wine) than I should, ideally
- I can't live without music
- Exercise kept me sane for many years
- I feel most alone when performing mundane errands like grocery shopping and seeing couples shopping together ... I think to myself, "What stars have to align in order for that guy to be me ?"
- I enjoy a good cry
- I'm very insecure about how I look in photographs
- I often daydream because fantasy is a huge part of my unbearable reality

We might live in different corners of the world, look different, work different jobs, have different lifestyles, but at our core, we're really not all that dissimilar.

Like you, I grimace when I force a smile. But it happens more often when I'm constipated and I have to smile to someone than when I'm taking a pic.

I have these things in common with you.

- I'm in my 30s and I wonder if I'll spend my whole life alone
- I feel most alone when performing mundane errands like grocery shopping and seeing couples shopping together ... I think to myself, "What stars have to align in order for that guy to be me ?"

* I have a hard time trusting people.
* I try to get allong with everyone, even when I know I shouldn't.
* I have a hard time expressing my likes and dislikes, whether it's music, humour, standards, you name it.
* I don't stay interrested in any sport / hobby for long.

-I am a mother
-I always have music or Judge Judy or Chef Ramsay on in the background
-Until I lose my 2 legs and heartbeat, I won't believe in boredom
-I like watching baseball
-I believe there is something beautiful about everyone, deep inside
-My mind has become my best friend
-I'm not afraid to be alone. I'm kind of starting to welcome it.

Somnambulist said:

AmytheTemperamental said:
-I'm not afraid to be alone. I'm kind of starting to welcome it.

Bingo!

Lacrecia said:
Like you, I grimace when I force a smile. But it happens more often when I'm constipated and I have to smile to someone than when I'm taking a pic.

:D

MisterLonely said:

I relish shopping alone. I prefer being by myself when doing such a thing. I can take my time and not have to worry about someone standing around like a nitwit, waiting for me just to follow me around like a lost dog... oh wait... I do have to worry about that. Despite asking over and over for him to not follow me, he continues to do so. It irritates me to the bone. I didn't know people actually want to shop together.

Somnambulist said:

MisterLonely said:
* I have a hard time trusting people.

I escape life into books/comics/video games etc
I regard friendship more important than family
I don't drink alcohol
Never done drugs of any kind
I love to draw

Is the music or JJ or CR because you're afraid of silence ? Does silence make you feel alone ?
I agree about everyone having hidden gems.
Ironically, I think my mind is my worst enemy.

VanillaCreme said:
MisterLonely said:

I relish shopping alone. I prefer being by myself when doing such a thing. I can take my time and not have to worry about someone standing around like a nitwit, waiting for me just to follow me around like a lost dog... oh wait... I do have to worry about that. Despite asking over and over for him to not follow me, he continues to do so. It irritates me to the bone. I didn't know people actually want to shop together.

Haha, let me tell you the REAL truth to this ;), men don't take their time to do grocery shopping they are well oiled grocery shopping machines, I'm in and out the store in 20 minutes max :cool: , and the reason your grocery store attachment is standing there like a lost dog is because he probably is bored out of his mind and thinking to himself most of the time  "just grab one and get on with it, THEIR ALL THE SAME!" :p

-I'm more serious than most and my sense of humour is probably a little demented for some
-I value the pursuit of knowledge and particularly enjoy reading about history
-I think I've been through more changes in who I am in 25 years than some people go through in a lifetime
-I have my recruitment test for the New Zealand Navy tomorrow and I think I want this more than I've wanted anything
-There are a lot of aspects of pop culture and other things particular to my generation that I don't relate to
-I'm learning in my mid 20s that not making excuses is the key to becoming who I want to be
-I like playing guitar and making electronic music but may not have too much time for either in the near future
-I don't feel bad about being an introvert but I do want to develop more self-confidence and better social skills
-I tend to look at the world in a way that can alienate some people

Paraiyar said:
-I like playing guitar and making electronic music but may not have too much time for either in the near future

I make electronic music too. I use FL Studio 10 software. You ?
I agree with the second point too. (most people)

Somnambulist said:
Paraiyar said:

I use Ableton

Paraiyar said:
Somnambulist said:
Paraiyar said:

I use Ableton

Wow, dude ! You have a ton of tracks ! You're serious about this ! I tried some tracks ... they sound professional to me ! Big thumbs up !

Do you speak German ? I noticed German track names.

MisterLonely said:
Haha, let me tell you the REAL truth to this ;), men don't take their time to do grocery shopping they are well oiled grocery shopping machines, I'm in and out the store in 20 minutes max :cool: , and the reason your grocery store attachment is standing there like a lost dog is because he probably is bored out of his mind and thinking to himself most of the time  "just grab one and get on with it, THEIR ALL THE SAME!" :p

lol.gif
 You hit the nail right on the head there with my husband and me. Though he does have one exception where he'll easily become a 2 hour-long shopper himself - GAME STORES. Heaven help me if we happen to pass one of those! Otherwise it's definitely reversed. While we're both always keen to get home and away from the crowds, I do like to take the time to get the right things on the shopping list.

Somnambulist said:
Paraiyar said:
Somnambulist said:
Paraiyar said:

I use Ableton

Wow, dude ! You have a ton of tracks ! You're serious about this ! I tried some tracks ... they sound professional to me ! Big thumbs up !

Do you speak German ? I noticed German track names.

Thanks.

I was learning German for a while but have been sidetracked. Might get back into it at some point.

Somnambulist said:

Is the music or JJ or CR because you're afraid of silence ? Does silence make you feel alone ?

No, it's because I like their voices.

-I'm a mother
-I'm vegan
-I love to bake/cook
-I have struggled with EDs and BDD for years (although it's loads better now)
-I like photography (taking pics and looking at pics)
-I used to draw, would love to take it back up, if I can find the time
-I don't think anyone is ugly and I don't give a honeysuckle about looks (other people's looks, of course. lol)

And, there's a shitload more, but I think we'll leave it at that for now.

- I don't like sharing things about myself.
- I believe you always give away more than you think when you share your thoughts and opinions.

Sorry. I wasn't really made for this thread.

Oldyoung said:
- I don't like sharing things about myself.
- I believe you always give away more than you think when you share your thoughts and opinions.

Sorry. I wasn't really made for this thread.

That's why I only put things I've previously mentioned here :D

Latest posts

Back