Motley work mates

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveWasFramed

Reaction score
I'm an office manager for a landscaping franchise. Recently, I've learned that the a number of the crew members have convictions for various crimes. Four have lost their licenses due to driving impaired (both alcohol and drugs). At least two have felony convictions for dealing drugs. Two more have minor drug convictions. One spent 25 years in an upstate New York prison for two counts of attempted murder. He got out about five years ago and has been working at the company since then. He basically jumped on the subway car to kill his girlfriend and ended up shooting her in both legs and wounding her new bf and a bystandard.
I've been there right at three months and had no idea who I was working with. I don't see them much because they're generally out in the field. 
Forgive any typos - my phone isn't the best for posting. 
Thoughts on the subject? :D

I've been there right at three months and had no idea who I was working with.

1ZuvoO2.png

I'd be pretty uncomfortable if I were in your position! That given, knowing this would probably make me behave awkwardly in their presence, and that might not be good idea!

dokidoki said:

1ZuvoO2.png

I'd be pretty uncomfortable if I were in your position! That given, knowing this would probably make me behave awkwardly in their presence, and that might not be good idea!

^^^ lol, that pic!!
You'd think I'd be uncomfortable or afraid. But so far, I haven't been. Of course I've to meet the one shot up the subway car. :D
I guess I should also mention that our place of business is in the older part of town where the rent is cheaper and the square footage is generous. Due to the location, my husband purchased a 380 S&W for me, with built in laser site. So, I keep it in my top right desk drawer.

If it was me I'd conduct myself politely with the ex-cons, show respect but not demonstrate fear or be obsequious, and I'd wait for them to bring up the subject of their doing time and what they did to be there. And so long as their performance on the job is acceptable to the customers and the rest of the crew, their past should stay in the past. That being said, I wouldn't leave temptation in their way and I'd probably be just a bit more careful to not anger them than I would most other people.

Got a gun eh? Me too. A lot of responsibility there. You reckon the desk drawer is a good place to keep it if you need it eh? Needing a gun.......pretty heavy situation. Twice I thought i needed mine.....both times it was a false alarm and my adrenaline level didn't go back to normal for hours. You got a piece then I guess you're up for whatever could happen. Me? I shoot someone in any scenario whatsoever and my life is changed and not for the better. It's the option of absolute last resort. Worth thinking about carefully beforehand. Keeping it someplace handy is good too.

I worked with a few people who had colourful pasts, some were arrested and spent time in jail for various reasons, none for murder that I know of. One of my bosses was not allowed to cross the boarder into the US, he wouldn't tell us why, I assume he had some sort of criminal record which wouldn't have surprised me in the least. One guy I figure was borderline bipolar, and others had dealings with drugs. Best thing I found was to keep myself distant from those people and just make sure they weren't going anything that could get me into trouble. They weren't allowed to have drugs on them when riding with me or working with me. If I knew about it they either had to get rid of it or go home. If I found it it went into the garbage. And concerning the guy who was convicted of attempted murder, I would never be left alone with him, ever, nor would I ever carry on a conversation which gave any personal details or let him have access to anything like that. I hope your bosses keep a good eye on him. People do deserve a change to prove their better now but that doesn't mean you let them off their leash. Those are my thoughts anyway. And I'm not surprised in the least about your colourful co-workers, having been close to that line of work and dealing with contractors there are many with interesting pasts. Some aren't all bad.

EveWasFramed said:
dokidoki said:

1ZuvoO2.png

^^^ lol, that pic!!
You'd think I'd be uncomfortable or afraid. But so far, I haven't been. Of course I've to meet the one shot up the subway car. :D
I guess I should also mention that our place of business is in the older part of town where the rent is cheaper and the square footage is generous. Due to the location, my husband purchased a 380 S&W for me, with built in laser site. So, I keep it in my top right desk drawer.

I mean, I'm glad that both you and your partner are aware that your place of work perhaps isn't the situated in the safest of places. Of course judging people simply because of their past possible actions isn't nice.. but you knooooow :\

Get a job elsewhere soon!

Everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe they are upstanding citizens now, I mean, they did their time, right?

Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, but I wouldn't be concerned about any of it unless or until you have a **** good reason to be.

I don't actually feel too uncomfortable there. The ones I've actually spoken to have been respectful and polite. The gun isn't for them, lol. It's a bad neighborhood.
It seems that in this industry, its normal for a lot of the workers to have things in their past.

EveWasFramed said:
I don't actually feel too uncomfortable there. The ones I've actually spoken to have been respectful and polite. The gun isn't for them, lol. It's a bad neighborhood.
It seems that in this industry, its normal for a lot of the workers to have things in their past.

Someone has to give them a chance. 
Besides, it's very likely almost everyone works with at least one person who's been in trouble or addicted to something or whatever.

TheRealCallie said:
EveWasFramed said:

Someone has to give them a chance. 
Besides, it's very likely almost everyone works with at least one person who's been in trouble or addicted to something or whatever.

Yes, and I think industries like this one is in the group that offers up second chances to folks who have made mistakes in their past.

TheRealCallie said:
Everyone deserves a second chance.  Maybe they are upstanding citizens now, I mean, they did their time, right?  

Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, but I wouldn't be concerned about any of it unless or until you have a **** good reason to be.

+1

Convictions for drugs an what not can almost be ignored if the location you work at is to go by, it sounds like a pretty average thing there. As for the more extreme convitions... well I guess it's how much you balieve in "the syetem".

I doubt these people are able to work and be in the community if they were still any danger, you have no idea what these people went through in jail or how they feel about what they have done. I wouldn't like to ask something like that, everyone deserves a second chance an all that.

I worked with a convicted murderer/rapist. Hated the *****

As I said, all the guys I've met have been polite and respectful. People who are polite and respectful to me get treated in kind.
I just think it's an interesting situation. I'm not casting stones at anyone. Hence "motley work mates" instead of "scary convicted felons." :p

I think it's only logical for them to get employed by a lanscaping bureau, after all they are always in need of people who are experienced at digging holes in the countryside and know how to handle a shovel in general :p, it's even a good excuse to ride around with a bag of lime in the back :D

O.T. They are probably trying to make the best of their situations just like anybody else, aslong as they stay respectfull you should definitly do the same, they are just like any other colleague.
About 7 years back I had a colleague suddenly disappear, for 2 weeks noone at work knew where he was, turns out he was in prison in Belgium, he got arrested having 3 eastern european women (one underaged) that he was sexually exploiting for profit agains their will... well actually his wife was, but he was driving the van and sharing in the profits, I could not and would not ever work with such a person in my life.

I hired a guy about 7 years ago that had an attempted murder on his record but got reduced down to a manslaughter charge and he's been very faithful to my company and repent for his past mistakes.

An older lady I hired about 10 years ago, grandma like vibe. Made cookies from time to time, she bring her grandchildren to visit sometimes etc. she got caught stealing money from payroll 6 months ago. Pending charges was on her but decided to take her life instead to avoid jail time.

In other words, never judge a **** book by its **** cover.

For some reason, I feel a poster or two may feel that I'm passing moral judgement on some of the folks I work with and suggesting second chances aren't in order. I'd like to clarify that I haven't said that at all and don't feel that way.

Latest posts

Back