Being the only non-parent around parents

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost thought you had a point, but then I thought to myself:

"Being the only non-smoker around smokers"

Nah, the implication is loose as best. That aside, I think healthy people are raised through exposure to as many different kinds of people as possible. Personally I value my dad and mom alike, but they provide very different perspectives of the world. But I was also born when helicopter parenting and participation-trophy-culture wasn't a thing yet.

TheRealCallie said:
NewOrder2016 said:
TheRealCallie said:
I'm still waiting to see where Tealeaf said she wanted children because she was jealous....
Being the only non-parent around parents

What does teh title suggest?  :club:

No, actually, it doesn't.  It just means that it is probably awkward or maybe that she doesn't feel she can connect with any of them because they all have kids.  Never once did she say or imply that she is going to run off to have kids because she is jealous.

Callee, I start seeing your point.

This is why I don't like coworkers in my business. They don't need to know my relationship status or really anything about me outside of the workplace. Not there to socialize.

I feel like this almost everyday. People I'm clearly older than almost seem even to me to be older, and even treat me as such.

It doesn't help that I've always looked young. Like easily 10 years younger than I actually am. (So much so, when I was a kid I regularly mistaken as a girl >_>).

The only thing to do with that is if they want to get to know you more, and know the truth about you, surprise them :)

I guess it's a bore for you but I think your co-workers are probably in full acceptance of the fact that you are an autonomous and unique being.

Try being a 48 year old man with no children and no wife. That ship has sailed for me and is never coming back. I work in an office with a bunch of young people too, and they're all married and putting out kids. Each new baby involves them bringing it into the office to pass around and I just try to avoid it because if reminds me of my failure as a person. It reminds me of the disappointment I am to my parents for not giving them little grandbabies. And I know if I had a kid I'd never feel lonely because I would always have them... but I don't. I'll never be able to brag about them, I'll never be able to use them as an excuse to miss work. But on the plus side I'll never stress about them either and that also has benefited me in delaying my aging, so there's that.

Latest posts

Back