have no one???

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilE

Reaction score
Does anyone else have zero friends and no significant other either? I am talking about both online and in real life. Real life can be people you hang out with, chat with, text, whatever. I never had a gf and worse never really had friends since I was a teenager. I never go out with anyone, i don't talk to anyone on the phone, and I don't text anyone either. And on the internet it is the same, I don't instant message with anyone, or skype, or none of that, the most contact I have with people online is through emails or messages. 

This is not by choice, my depression, anxiety, and social phobia make it so hard to meet people or be normal. One thing is that I never had any luck with women at all, but to not have friends on top of that always hurt me and made me feel worse. Being completely alone is killing me slowly, making me more isolated and exacerbating my mental conditions. I wish so much to have friends, but it seems no one really likes me or wants to ever be my friend. I would love to talk to people, be around people, but it is hard to do and when I am around people I tend to feel anxious and like a misfit or that I don't belong, or that I am not wanted. 

Most people I know have either friends or a significant other, or both, but I don't know anyone that has neither, such as myself. So for anyone that does not have friends or a significant other, how do you survive and cope? Because it really brings me into the stages of grief, despair, and hopelessness, and I don't know how I can sustain this.

lilE said:
Does anyone else have zero friends and no significant other either? I am talking about both online and in real life. Real life can be people you hang out with, chat with, text, whatever. I never had a gf and worse never really had friends since I was a teenager. I never go out with anyone, i don't talk to anyone on the phone, and I don't text anyone either. And on the internet it is the same, I don't instant message with anyone, or skype, or none of that, the most contact I have with people online is through emails or messages. 

This is not by choice, my depression, anxiety, and social phobia make it so hard to meet people or be normal. One thing is that I never had any luck with women at all, but to not have friends on top of that always hurt me and made me feel worse. Being completely alone is killing me slowly, making me more isolated and exacerbating my mental conditions. I wish so much to have friends, but it seems no one really likes me or wants to ever be my friend. I would love to talk to people, be around people, but it is hard to do and when I am around people I tend to feel anxious and like a misfit or that I don't belong, or that I am not wanted. 

Most people I know have either friends or a significant other, or both, but I don't know anyone that has neither, such as myself. So for anyone that does not have friends or a significant other, how do you survive and cope? Because it really brings me into the stages of grief, despair, and hopelessness, and I don't know how I can sustain this.
How old are you by the way? How I cope? Well i barely do. Make posts here and reach out for support. And that only helps so much. After all we are still online. So..that is what I am trying to figure out " just how to cope " that is the main issue. Maybe my reply might help a little knowing there is someone else having a hard time like you. If anyone else has ideas they might chime in. Talk soon

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am 28. How old are you? I spend most of my time entirely by myself so I do a lot of things to try and keep my mind and body busy.

lilE said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am 28. How old are you? I spend most of my time entirely by myself so I do a lot of things to try and keep my mind and body busy.

Sure, that's what we do here. Reply 🤐😶😜😝

Zero friends and no significant other here, not even an insignificant other realy... I usually feel the same as you, trying to keep my mind occupied, reading is my latest rug of choice, it seems to be a socially accepted way of spending your time whilst nothing to do, when you tell people you spend your weekend reading a book you get commended when you tell them you spend it watching tv they offten tell you to get out more (never realy inviting you though :p).

I feel comfortable in smallish groups of like minded individuals that share atleast some of my likes and are close to my level of intelligence, when loud music is involved or the group is too big (i.e. more then 15 orso) i get a form of sensory overload (noise defness), wich means I am unable to focus on conversation and just hear noise, it becomes imposible to comunicate in this type of situation so I avoid them.

Almost the same - I always wanted to have a significant other, but never had one ( that's really sad, and very lonely sometimes, especially in those activities which are now often seen as great for couples - eating out, going to movie theater, to museums, travelling abroad...

I have however some friends, but probably they are more like acquaintances. Unlike MisterLonely for example I can be pretty sociable in larger groups, and even do public speaking, but deeply connecting to people, instead of just interacting, for me is much more difficult.

Misterlonely, 

Thanks for sharing. All the things I do are solitary, I don't have anyone else to do anything with. Sure my mind and body is occupied, but the isolation still gets to me.

I have a sister but she has made it clear her life is hers and mine is mine.

I don't know if I have friends. I have people who insist on waving at me and saying hi but if I were to ask them for the slightest thing, the answer would be "no"

Today, while I was shopping at the local dollar store to buy just a few little things, I saw man with a very, very sad expression on his face, almost like he was about to cry at any moment. To be sure, I did not actually see him cry but I felt so bad for him. I really want to go up to him and ask him if he needed a hug. He probably would have thought I was being weird. We may feel like the loneliest person in the world until we see someone else battling loneliness like us. Then we know that we are not alone. And if we so choose, we can offer to help or just spark up a conversation.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
I have a sister but she has made it clear her life is hers and mine is mine.

I don't know if I have friends. I have people who insist on waving at me and saying hi but if I were to ask them for the slightest thing, the answer would be "no"

I'm optimistic, but maybe you just need to find people who will appreciate you? Sometimes it can be totally surprising who will become your friend, a person who you least expect :) Communication is the key. I believe that being yourself should help, like sharing what you think, talking about what you like and so on - so like-minded people will be able to recognize you.

I have a few friends to chat with, or send text messages to. I even attend some meetup events. But in my area, it's hard to form a strong friendship relationship.

The only strong friend I have happens to be someone I've met in college and he happens to live in my area. But he's married, has one daughter.....lucky him.

Then I go to church on Sundays (but not every Sunday) and interact with some of the folks there.

It's lonely now because I moved away from home, live 2500 miles away from parents, different weather, different culture, my workplace employees and the culture there.....eh....I will make a thread on that later on when I have the time.

However, I do not have any significant other. No love life. No girlfriend to kiss. Too much discrimination here in the US which is why I'm lonesome (and it's the truth).

This is not by choice, my depression, anxiety, and social phobia make it so hard to meet people or be normal. 

There is a difference between having a hard time, and not being able to do anything about it. How many people from all the people that you know, have the people they want in their lives.. people who were first strangers who were approached by a cold approach?
I will answer that question for you! very few. 
I know people who have friends and spouses, they arent happy people. They can socialize with the people they know, but they are not happy and want someone else in their lives.
So aim high, not low, even if you have nothing.
Lesson 1: 
"Aim for the moon, if you miss, you hit the stars".

Being completely alone is killing me slowly, making me more isolated and exacerbating my mental conditions.

Really?!!?
I have been alone for longer than you have. I am 32 and I am alone (no family, close relationships, distant relationships, online friends..nothing!) for over a decade. I havent felt more isolated and my mental condition is even better than it was with the awful people that I was surrounded with (especially family and relatives). How do you explain that distinction between you and me?
That is because I set my social expectations high enough so they are reasonable. Society came up with that idea that loneliness exacerbates your mental conditions. Did you know, that some psychiatrists recommend being alone because it lets you heal?
Let me tell you about things that exacerbate your mental conditions, the following relationships situations when you are not alone:
- Break up with someone you thought was perfect.
- Losing a close friend that you have been friend with him for years.
- Finding that your friends are idiots, very different from you or treacherous.
- Having a mother who hates you and tells you that she never wanted you.
- Having a father who doesnt care about you, even when you are abused by people who are close to him.
- Having an awful sister, who drags you into difficult situations.
- Working around people who are different than you, non caring, difficult to cope with.
- Being with people or friends and wishing you had different friends or spouse.
I could go on, but you got my point that being alone is not the worst thing on the top of your list that should lead to 'mental problems'.
Adapt your social expectations, dont set them to what the society thinks is right. Be alone as much as you like, let relationships happen.. put some effort, but not all your effort (mental and physical). Otherwise you will hurt your self-esteem.. if you put too much effort in chasing people. Pleasing people all the time, will exacerbate your mental conditions..loneliness does nothing to it.
Lesson 2:
"I dont know what the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone"

I wish so much to have friends, but it seems no one really likes me or wants to ever be my friend. I would love to talk to people, be around people, but it is hard to do and when I am around people I tend to feel anxious and like a misfit or that I don't belong, or that I am not wanted. 

If you compared to having your desires behind a big door (which represents your fears, obstacles, depression, whatever), wouldnt it be better to try to slam and having it break instead of staring at it or lock pick it or trying to find a key for it.
Okay so here are a few solutions that I mentioned. Lets think about them together:
1) Staring at it and pondering about how big and strong it is. That doesnt help, you are going to be at square one until you decide to make a move.
2) lock picking. Lock picking it could help. But it is a skill that is mastered with years of trying. You need experience of socializing a lot to achieve it. Have you tried any PUA forums, perhaps also socializing with people who are in your situation?
3) Finding a key. Finding a key is like finding the right way that would work 100%. You could look for a key, but it could take a lot of searching effort.. that way to interact with anyone and succeeding 100% of the time. People are sociable, know that there are many keys for each door, behind each one of them is a person that they like. Many doors and many keys for each door.. your probability of succeeding opening is not that great...and simply leads to more anxiety and depression when you attach the outcome of opening it.
Wouldnt it also be possible to smash the door? With the brute force of your body or something heavy?
For example you could, approach a ridiculous number of times, or read large number books on psychology or ask ridiculous number of people for help on many forums, become interesting.. travel, read and watch interesting stuff, focus on yourself before approaching people, are you okay? have you invested in yourself a lot to be interesting and worthy for people? or are you someone who was digging a bigger hole than you found yourself in in the first place?
Just Slam the F*king door open.
Dont worry failure. Failure is our friend. enough failures give you feedback and the pain from it, conditioned to be harder by it. 
Small successes are desirable for our confidence..but we still remain blindfolded without enough failures and our ego doesnt promote our personal improvement.
Lesson 3:
"Everything is on the other side of fear, and stay strong, force yourself though it, if you have to! dont rely solely on technique"
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure"
Most people I know have either friends or a significant other, or both, but I don't know anyone that has neither, such as myself. So for anyone that does not have friends or a significant other, how do you survive and cope? 

You are not other people and other people are not you. It doesnt matter if it is the other way around, they have many friends and you have none. 
You survive by reducing the significance of not having friends and at the same time increasing your feeling of self-love by having your own goals that define you as a better person. Relationships come with time and with people you like. only few people can form such relationships. It is the truth and it hurts, even for me.
Lesson 4: 
"success is simple. Do whats right, the right way, at the right time"

Because it really brings me into the stages of grief, despair, and hopelessness, and I don't know how I can sustain this.
Dont set yourself boundaries where you can break. It does nothing, and it is self-defeating.
Lesson 5:
"If it doesnt kill you, it makes you stronger"

Lol, I understand perfectly now.... :rolleyes:

Your situation and someone else's situation doesn't mean honeysuckle.  It's not a competition.  It's not a "oh, well, you're better off than I was."  Everyone deals with things differently, so you have no right to say you were worse off or had it worse, because you don't know the OP.  You don't know his mental state, you don't know his life, you don't know how he deals with things.  Because of these things, you can't compare your life to his.

I only have a few friends and no significant other. I actually don't know how people become such good friends. Maybe I am too weird.
cool.gif

TheRealCallie said:

Your situation and someone else's situation doesn't mean honeysuckle.  It's not a competition.  It's not a "oh, well, you're better off than I was."  Everyone deals with things differently, so you have no right to say you were worse off or had it worse, because you don't know the OP.  You don't know his mental state, you don't know his life, you don't know how he deals with things.  Because of these things, you can't compare your life to his.

Well said!

lilE said:

LilE is that a Jan Saudek piece as your profile? It's nice.  What kind of things do you like to do for fun besides reading? Have you ever been to a drum circle or hung out with hippies?  I know it sounds weird but maybe if you went to a rainbow gathering and just wandered around alone amongst all the world's weirdos you could meet some people.  It's a non judgmental environment and you can be as weird as you want as long as you can tolerate the weirdness of others.  I don't know why I suggested any of that, it just came to me as a tangible free place for people who may or may not be "too weird" for the regular world, to just be (IRL) without feeling judged.

NewOrder2016 said:
This is not by choice, my depression, anxiety, and social phobia make it so hard to meet people or be normal. 

There is a difference between having a hard time, and not being able to do anything about it. How many people from all the people that you know, have the people they want in their lives.. people who were first strangers who were approached by a cold approach?
I will answer that question for you! very few. 
I know people who have friends and spouses, they arent happy people. They can socialize with the people they know, but they are not happy and want someone else in their lives.
So aim high, not low, even if you have nothing.
Lesson 1: 
"Aim for the moon, if you miss, you hit the stars".

Being completely alone is killing me slowly, making me more isolated and exacerbating my mental conditions.

Really?!!?
I have been alone for longer than you have. I am 32 and I am alone (no family, close relationships, distant relationships, online friends..nothing!) for over a decade. I havent felt more isolated and my mental condition is even better than it was with the awful people that I was surrounded with (especially family and relatives). How do you explain that distinction between you and me?
That is because I set my social expectations high enough so they are reasonable. Society came up with that idea that loneliness exacerbates your mental conditions. Did you know, that some psychiatrists recommend being alone because it lets you heal?
Let me tell you about things that exacerbate your mental conditions, the following relationships situations when you are not alone:
- Break up with someone you thought was perfect.
- Losing a close friend that you have been friend with him for years.
- Finding that your friends are idiots, very different from you or treacherous.
- Having a mother who hates you and tells you that she never wanted you.
- Having a father who doesnt care about you, even when you are abused by people who are close to him.
- Having an awful sister, who drags you into difficult situations.
- Working around people who are different than you, non caring, difficult to cope with.
- Being with people or friends and wishing you had different friends or spouse.
I could go on, but you got my point that being alone is not the worst thing on the top of your list that should lead to 'mental problems'.
Adapt your social expectations, dont set them to what the society thinks is right. Be alone as much as you like, let relationships happen.. put some effort, but not all your effort (mental and physical). Otherwise you will hurt your self-esteem.. if you put too much effort in chasing people. Pleasing people all the time, will exacerbate your mental conditions..loneliness does nothing to it.
Lesson 2:
"I dont know what the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone"

I wish so much to have friends, but it seems no one really likes me or wants to ever be my friend. I would love to talk to people, be around people, but it is hard to do and when I am around people I tend to feel anxious and like a misfit or that I don't belong, or that I am not wanted. 

If you compared to having your desires behind a big door (which represents your fears, obstacles, depression, whatever), wouldnt it be better to try to slam and having it break instead of staring at it or lock pick it or trying to find a key for it.
Okay so here are a few solutions that I mentioned. Lets think about them together:
1) Staring at it and pondering about how big and strong it is. That doesnt help, you are going to be at square one until you decide to make a move.
2) lock picking. Lock picking it could help. But it is a skill that is mastered with years of trying. You need experience of socializing a lot to achieve it. Have you tried any PUA forums, perhaps also socializing with people who are in your situation?
3) Finding a key. Finding a key is like finding the right way that would work 100%. You could look for a key, but it could take a lot of searching effort.. that way to interact with anyone and succeeding 100% of the time. People are sociable, know that there are many keys for each door, behind each one of them is a person that they like. Many doors and many keys for each door.. your probability of succeeding opening is not that great...and simply leads to more anxiety and depression when you attach the outcome of opening it.
Wouldnt it also be possible to smash the door? With the brute force of your body or something heavy?
For example you could, approach a ridiculous number of times, or read large number books on psychology or ask ridiculous number of people for help on many forums, become interesting.. travel, read and watch interesting stuff, focus on yourself before approaching people, are you okay? have you invested in yourself a lot to be interesting and worthy for people? or are you someone who was digging a bigger hole than you found yourself in in the first place?
Just Slam the F*king door open.
Dont worry failure. Failure is our friend. enough failures give you feedback and the pain from it, conditioned to be harder by it. 
Small successes are desirable for our confidence..but we still remain blindfolded without enough failures and our ego doesnt promote our personal improvement.
Lesson 3:
"Everything is on the other side of fear, and stay strong, force yourself though it, if you have to! dont rely solely on technique"
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure"
Most people I know have either friends or a significant other, or both, but I don't know anyone that has neither, such as myself. So for anyone that does not have friends or a significant other, how do you survive and cope? 

You are not other people and other people are not you. It doesnt matter if it is the other way around, they have many friends and you have none. 
You survive by reducing the significance of not having friends and at the same time increasing your feeling of self-love by having your own goals that define you as a better person. Relationships come with time and with people you like. only few people can form such relationships. It is the truth and it hurts, even for me.
Lesson 4: 
"success is simple. Do whats right, the right way, at the right time"

Because it really brings me into the stages of grief, despair, and hopelessness, and I don't know how I can sustain this.
Dont set yourself boundaries where you can break. It does nothing, and it is self-defeating.
Lesson 5:
"If it doesnt kill you, it makes you stronger"
NewWorld2016, I really like your illustration of the door. A door is just a door ... NOT A WALL.

TheRealCallie said:

+1

Latest posts

Back