Nocturnal Animals (Tom Ford's new movie)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveWasFramed

Reaction score
Nocturnal Animals (Tom Ford's new movie)

Exploitation. 
I nearly walked out of the theater within the first two minutes. The distasteful degradation of overweight women in the opening scene was truly disgusting. Had I been alone, I'd have left immediately. I have no problem with nudity in a film if it adds to the story. Ford's feeble attempt to label something as "art" was shameful. Couple that with the fact that there wasn't actually an "end" to the movie and I'd give this movie zero stars if I could. I was sickened that a director would think the opening minutes was acceptable and added any kind of value to the movie. 
Save your money- don't go see it. 
Just my two cents.

I thought this was about bats or something, never heard of the movie but thanks for the warning. Probably wouldn't see it anyway unless it had something to do with Superheroes, seems to be the only movies I go see anymore. :D

Sci-Fi said:
I thought this was about bats or something, never heard of the movie but thanks for the warning.  Probably wouldn't see it anyway unless it had something to do with Superheroes, seems to be the only movies I go see anymore.  :D

Lol...bats. :D
I went to see Doctor Strange recently. Enjoyed it way more.

I have seen his other movie "A Single Man" many years ago which wasn't too bad actually, it was a story about a homosexual college professor whose partner had died. It was the more "artsy" kinda movie I was into back then. Didn't even know he was a fashion designer then, let alone famous for provocative and rather sexual advertisements of which a few got banned. He's a bit of an eccentric character...and interestingly enough, also homosexual.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/tom-ford-on-nocturnal-animals-opening-credits.html

There it explains more in depth. In particular:

That all changed when Ford showed up to the nude shoot “and fell in love with these women,” he said, admitting, “I actually felt guilty that that had been my original intention. I found them so beautiful, so joyful, and so happy to be there. They were so uninhibited, and I realized that actually, they were a microcosm of what the whole film was saying. They had let go of what our culture had said they’re supposed to be, and because of that, they were so totally free. This is what’s restricting Susan. She’s being who she thinks she needs to be: I need to live this way, I need to look like that.”

In the end, it’s one of Ford’s favorite sequences for exactly that reason. “It certainly wasn’t fat-shaming — if anything, it’s a celebration of the beauty of their bodies, and a challenge to what we think of beauty,” he said.
Then again, I haven't watched the movie, nor the opening scene. Still that is what the man itself says about it. I guess I'll have to watch it in order to give my opinion.

A movie being advertised as effed up is actually effed up? About time.

I watched the trailer and cant understand for a second how that opening fits in

I got free passes to Dusk to Dawn years ago ....A lot of people walked out

Ford's comments prior to his "change of heart" after meeting the women:

"I’ve lived in Europe for the last 27 years, so I thought, What do I want to say if I’m having a gallery show in America?” mused Ford. “Politics being what they are right now, I want to make a statement about America. And I remembered that great poster that I had hanging in my room when I was a kid, when I thought I was straight, of Farrah Fawcett in that red bathing suit. America was always tan, beautiful teeth, tits and ass. So, guess what? I want to talk about America today: Gluttonous, overfed, aging, sad, tired.”

So he chose overweight women to justify his opinion of what America is - gluttonous, overfed, aging, sad, tired women?
Where were the men? Why not have males too?
My opinion - his words don't mean honeysuckle to me. He KNEW what he was doing and did it anyway. He needs to stick with designing clothing.

Rodent said:
EveWasFramed said:
So he chose overweight women to justify his opinion of what America is - gluttonous, overfed, aging, sad, tired women?
Where were the men? Why not have males too?

Maybe the only thing "worse" in his head than women with those attributes would've been men and he couldn't even stomach that. But no worries, he has other plans for us...

http://jezebel.com/tom-ford-thinks-having-a-dick-in-their-ass-would-make-m-1789725483

Oh lord. I can't even comment on that. I'd be here typing on my phone for an hour.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.PNG
    IMG_2233.PNG
    75 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back