Language learning against depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takamina

Reaction score
I find that one of the worst aspects of depression is the feeling that we lack a purpose, so that life seems meaningless and we limit ourselves to live passively. So sometimes to fight depression we need to find a purpose in our life.

This man finds a cure in language learning, but obviously it can be any kind of passion, hobby or anything really.
I hope you all will find his testimony motivational :)

Learning new language since September, but still depressed (
But for some it probably may work.

There's no way I could learn a new language right now. My memory is completely shot, thanks to depression. I can't retain much of my week. I've been trying to find a new hobby if only to distract myself but at lot of it relies on memory and motivation, neither of which i have right now.

I agree with the comment that said how with depression, memory gets so bad, not only learning a language becomes difficult, but even painful sometimes, as it might remind you of the time your memory worked properly.

But, I do agree hobbies do help against depression, a bit. However I would put these all in the "preventive" category, than in the "treatment" one, although, what do I know, maybe it does really work for some people and I really hope this is the case :)

Personally I'm currently learning new languages on my own, but I'm not depressed at the moment, so it works out. When I was feeling really really bad, no way I could concentrate..

Latest posts

Back