TV series: what to watch next?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reynard_muldrake said:
I recall quitting because the first season wasn't scary. Haha. Season 2 had more of what I wanted the show to be. The prequel movie and revival series really double down on the horror/surrealism overtones. Anyway, there is one problem I still have with the show. Way too many characters and not all of them are on the level of Agent Cooper. I never cared about Josie Packard and the Martells, for instance.

Ah, have to agree there. They do seem there to fill some time, so far. Not far in yet, but I also feel that Leo and that ex-convict guy are pretty much the same character, although this might change tonight lol. But you know, wife beaters, guys who deal in shady stuff, etc.
I heard they were thinking of redoing them, has this happened already, finishing the story?

Ah, I just saw a Variety reviewer who said it exactly like I feel it; "Twin Peaks is weird and creepy and slow. But it is interesting". Can't say I'm a fan yet, but I'm not NOT a fan.

Richard_39 said:
reynard_muldrake said:
I recall quitting because the first season wasn't scary. Haha. Season 2 had more of what I wanted the show to be. The prequel movie and revival series really double down on the horror/surrealism overtones. Anyway, there is one problem I still have with the show. Way too many characters and not all of them are on the level of Agent Cooper. I never cared about Josie Packard and the Martells, for instance.

Ah, have to agree there. They do seem there to fill some time, so far. Not far in yet, but I also feel that Leo and that ex-convict guy are pretty much the same character, although this might change tonight lol. But you know, wife beaters, guys who deal in shady stuff, etc.
I heard they were thinking of redoing them, has this happened already, finishing the story?

Ah, I just saw a Variety reviewer who said it exactly like I feel it; "Twin Peaks is weird and creepy and slow. But it is interesting". Can't say I'm a fan yet, but I'm not NOT a fan.

Heh. Leo has some amusing moments in Season 2. I won't say more, though. 

The third season/revival series aired last summer. I would like a fourth one myself, but who knows if we'll get one?

reynard_muldrake said:

The third season/revival series aired last summer. I would like a fourth one myself, but who knows if we'll get one?

LOL Well this is going where I didn't expect it. I can say I'm a fan now. The only criticism I have is it's long. In the sense that they take their time showing something, but I guess it's our problem now; the 80's, we still remembered how to take our time, now shoes paces are way too fast. I guess that's what threw me off at first, but I'm really appreciating the story and what they do as character exploration. Cooper is awesome. I really like Audrey too, she's something lol.

I'm at where the RCMP guy and the FBI inside man show up from Internal Affairs. It's weird how the entire town took definitive supernatural signs as granted lol. It reminds me of some of the Kind stories I've read featuring Castle Rock.

Richard_39 said:
reynard_muldrake said:

LOL Well this is going where I didn't expect it. I can say I'm a fan now. The only criticism I have is it's long. In the sense that they take their time showing something, but I guess it's our problem now; the 80's, we still remembered how to take our time, now shoes paces are way too fast. I guess that's what threw me off at first, but I'm really appreciating the story and what they do as character exploration. Cooper is awesome. I really like Audrey too, she's something lol.

I'm at where the RCMP guy and the FBI inside man show up from Internal Affairs. It's weird how the entire town took definitive supernatural signs as granted lol. It reminds me of some of the Kind stories I've read featuring Castle Rock.

Did you finish Season 2 yet? Things got rough after the revelation of Laura's killer, barring the finale and a few other episodes. You can tell they had no idea where to go after wrapping up the mystery. Regarding the townspeople and the supernatural, I recall some had actually encountered strange happenings (Major Briggs, the Log Lady) or were brought up to believe in the supernatural (Hawk). I guess those characters, along with Agent Cooper, were respected enough by everyone else not to get questions or skeptical responses.

Well, I personally found it real bizzarre the way everyone just swallows the supernatural explanation without even batting an eye, like "Oh yeah, Bob, he's evil, we get that all the time around here" instead of "a Ghost? YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE! I'm calling Washington and having Cooper fired" lol.
Yeah, I noticed. Once they wrapped up Laura Palmer you could tell they kind of weren't too sure where to go. Right now I'm at the chess game with Cooper's former (now insane) partner, this part I really like.
Overall it is a good show. I guess my earlier reservations were more about the pace than the story, although the story's kind of looney sometimes lol

Richard_39 said:
Well, I personally found it real bizzarre the way everyone just swallows the supernatural explanation without even batting an eye, like "Oh yeah, Bob, he's evil, we get that all the time around here" instead of "a Ghost? YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE! I'm calling Washington and having Cooper fired" lol.
Yeah, I noticed. Once they wrapped up Laura Palmer you could tell they kind of weren't too sure where to go. Right now I'm at the chess game with Cooper's former (now insane) partner, this part I really like.
Overall it is a good show. I guess my earlier reservations were more about the pace than the story, although the story's kind of looney sometimes lol

Did you guess right away who the killer was? And another question: did you recognize who played Denise? ;)

From what I recall, the shift in writing came about because David Lynch (the series co-creator) had left midway through Season 2. Sometimes it felt like the writers/directors were trying to emulate Lynch's style but couldn't pull it off. And yeah, the Windom Earle plot is interesting, even though the character came across as a cartoon villain at times. If nothing else, you gained some information about Cooper's background. I mostly like those episodes because you learn more about the mythology of the town.

reynard_muldrake said:
Did you guess right away who the killer was? And another question: did you recognize who played Denise? ;)

From what I recall, the shift in writing came about because David Lynch (the series co-creator) had left midway through Season 2. Sometimes it felt like the writers/directors were trying to emulate Lynch's style but couldn't pull it off. And yeah, the Windom Earle plot is interesting, even though the character came across as a cartoon villain at times. If nothing else, you gained some information about Cooper's background. I mostly like those episodes because you learn more about the mythology of the town.

Yeppers ;-)
Guess even though he went on to play another FBI agent, they didn't quite stick with the same personality, eh? lol
I finished it. Intriguing. There's a bonus dvd with Lynch interviews and extras, just listened to a bit, but it sounds pretty interesting.
I'll have to watch it again, don't think I understood all of it, but I liked it. Now I'll have to find the 2017 revival too ;-)

Oh and no, I didn't guess it right away. At first I didn't know exactly when I bought it what the series was, I had read about it, but started with the notion it was a straight up serial about a murder story. So I find it fascinating the way that as you go, they really investigate by the book and as suspects get eliminated, they have no choice but to face the fact that it wasn't one specific person, but someone evil doing it. It did caught me by surprise lol. I kind of got the hint when his hair turned white.

If you have never played it though, if you're into videogames, try Deadly Premonition. It's not exactly a game of the year, but it's a big love letter to Twin Peaks. If you liked the series you'll probably enjoy it, if you haven't already.

Richard_39 said:
reynard_muldrake said:

Yeppers ;-)
Guess even though he went on to play another FBI agent, they didn't quite stick with the same personality, eh? lol
I finished it. Intriguing. There's a bonus dvd with Lynch interviews and extras, just listened to a bit, but it sounds pretty interesting.
I'll have to watch it again, don't think I understood all of it, but I liked it. Now I'll have to find the 2017 revival too ;-)

Oh and no, I didn't guess it right away. At first I didn't know exactly when I bought it what the series was, I had read about it, but started with the notion it was a straight up serial about a murder story. So I find it fascinating the way that as you go, they really investigate by the book and as suspects get eliminated, they have no choice but to face the fact that it wasn't one specific person, but someone evil doing it. It did caught me by surprise lol. I kind of got the hint when his hair turned white.

If you have never played it though, if you're into videogames, try Deadly Premonition. It's not exactly a game of the year, but it's a big love letter to Twin Peaks. If you liked the series you'll probably enjoy it, if you haven't already.

Ha. No. Denise is a nicer character than Fox Mulder.

I didn't guess the killer's identity right away because I had read spoilers beforehand. :p The spoilers didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show, but I do wish I had been patient and tried to guess the killer. Oh well. :)

Before trying the 2017 series, make sure you've seen the movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. It's largely a prequel about the last week of Laura Palmer's life, but it also works as an epilogue to the original series. The 2017 show brings up a lot of events and plot threads introduced in Fire Walk with Me. And if you have seen the movie already, just disregard this post. ;)

reynard_muldrake said:
Richard_39 said:
reynard_muldrake said:

Yeppers ;-)

Ha. No. Denise is a nicer character than Fox Mulder.

I didn't guess the killer's identity right away because I had read spoilers beforehand. :p The spoilers didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show, but I do wish I had been patient and tried to guess the killer. Oh well. :)

Before trying the 2017 series, make sure you've seen the movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. It's largely a prequel about the last week of Laura Palmer's life, but it also works as an epilogue to the original series. The 2017 show brings up a lot of events and plot threads introduced in Fire Walk with Me. And if you have seen the movie already, just disregard this post. ;)

AH!, I haven't and I don't think I've seen it on the box set I bought. I'll have to shop around for that ;-)

I wouldn't know about Fox, besides knowing the name, was never an X-Files man lol.
It's a bit funny and melancholic to watch it though, because I remember so many actors on that show that I saw in other series when I was younger, it's funny to see them again as if most hadn't retired lol. Like the General. Or Albert, who played in TONS of movies and series.

I'm ill, working from home... by working I mean watching the first series of "Spaced" .

Has that made its way across the Atlantic? Its Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and the excellent Jessica Hynes.. before Shaun of the Dead, Paul, Star Trek etc.

Its very British and a bit surreal but well worth a watch, plus our comedy series are annoyingly only 6 episodes per series so its not a big commitment :)

I ALMOST bought that at the pawn shop, they had it on sale lol.
I heard it was a funny sitcom. Yes it has made it's way here. I almost bought it because I was looking for sci-fi, but buying a sitcom...I don't know, I was meh. Also, I love Simon and all his movies, but wasn't sure what exacl;y the series was. I'll admit sometimes British humor has puzzled me, although...ALTHOUGH, hehe...your contributions to the Funnies will forever be among the greatest. Monty Python among others. I'll have to try it now, though I'm also hesitating between that and Red Dwarf.
Instead I bought the first season of fringe. I was assured it was more sci-fi-ish, although apparently the ending sucks (typical of Abrams so far).

Spaced is about 2 late 20 singletons who pretend to be a couple in order to rent a flat, that's the premise but its not really about much beyond being that age and not doing much with your life and having weird friends. I would compare it to Flight of the Conchords off the top of my head in terms of the level of stupidity (without the songs). I'd always recommend 'League of Gentlemen' and 'Mighty Boosh' as my favourite british comedies.. both are totally nuts though.

Yeah we're not the best at Sci Fi, visual effects and budget let us down. Red Dwarf was so good as it was a comedy so could look a bit rubbish and it didn't matter. The Expanse is the best US Sci-Fi show I have seen in a while, I have read the books and its a good attempt at recreating them I think.

Can't believe no one's mentionned it yet, but you have to, if you've never seen it, HAVE to watch Firefly and it's companion movie Serenity.
Seriously. Do it right now.

I've been watching Sneaky Pete (Amazon), Lemony Snicket, and about to start the new Lost in Space series on Netflix

Richard_39 said:
Can't believe no one's mentionned it yet, but you have to, if you've never seen it, HAVE to watch Firefly and it's companion movie Serenity.
Seriously. Do it right now.

Yes!!! So.****.good.

Buffy
Teen Wolf
The Expanse (takes a couple episodes to kind of figure out what's going on)
Sense8 (same as above)
Runaways
Buffy
The Magicians
Twelve Monkeys (not actually about monkeys)
Jessica Jones
Roswell
oh, and Buffy. Almost forgot that one.

Twilight Zone
Lost In Space
Mannix
And Twin Peaks too!
All great shows, with action and scifi! I love these!

Fellow Sci-Fi fans, I HIGHLY recommend Black Mirror on Netflix (sorry if it's been said already, I quickly skimmed over the replies :p ). It has a very Twilight Zone/Outer Limits feel but with more modern sci-fi twists, so you can pick up at any episode or season.I THIRD Firefly!! :D And it's not intimidating like Supernatural or other extremely long running shows being as it's only one season and a movie unfortunately.

Other mentions :

Breaking Bad
Doctor Who (If you're a sci-fi and fantasy geek, this might be up your alley if you can get past the early low budget production)
This Is Us (Some of the best writing I've ever encountered in a TV show, not to mention the most emotionally engaging and never ending character development)
Sherlock

I recommend BBC series The Night Manager. I second Siku's suggestion above with The Black Mirror, Breaking Bad and Sherlock.
If anyone is into animation then I would suggest Rick and Morty.

Latest posts

Back