God, I can't take compliments

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremi

Reaction score
I always find it so awkward when people give you compliments. Sure, they're nice to hear but responding with a simple "Thanks" is too hard for me. I always have to joke it off, or say something completely random, or I don't say anything at all because my brain just freeze. I feel like a complete ******, because I know it's not easy to give someone a compliment, and it must suck when people just ignore it like that.

One reason I find compliments so awkward is because I don't trust people. I can't accept someone giving me an honest compliment. Either they're trying to manipulate me or make fun of me.

That's also the reason why I find it so difficult to give compliments. I feel like people will think the same way that I do. That I'm just being ingratiating, or that I'm after something. I want to give people compliments all the time, but I just.... Fail!

:club:

How do you feel about compliments?

Wow I never really though of it that much. I never got any compliment beside my parents which is irritating at best. I hate compliment from my parents, and because it all a bunch of lie, I feel annoy like how you feel. But from other people, I actually never receive any comment beside my teacher, which is a good feeling.

I really can't answer that question at this point, but I'm sure I would feel good rather than annoy as long as it honest and doesn't come from my family.

Jeremi said:
I always find it so awkward when people give you compliments. Sure, they're nice to hear but responding with a simple "Thanks" is too hard for me. I always have to joke it off, or say something completely random, or I don't say anything at all because my brain just freeze. I feel like a complete ******, because I know it's not easy to give someone a compliment, and it must suck when people just ignore it like that.

One reason I find compliments so awkward is because I don't trust people. I can't accept someone giving me an honest compliment. Either they're trying to manipulate me or make fun of me.

That's also the reason why I find it so difficult to give compliments. I feel like people will think the same way that I do. That I'm just being ingratiating, or that I'm after something. I want to give people compliments all the time, but I just.... Fail!

:club:

Sometimes I get uncomfortable when people give me compliments. I also understand what you mean when you say that you don't trust that people are exactly sincere in their compliment. This is how I handle it most of the time...
I say, "How kind of you to say so." If they are for real, then you're letting them know that you appreciate what they said. If their being insincere, then maybe they'll will feel a little guilt for jerking your chain.

I know how you feel. Compliments tend to make me uncomfortable. Most of the time I don't believe they actually mean what they say but are just trying to be nice so as not to hurt my feelings.

Also, I hate being in the spotlight so whenever someone compliments me I feel like I've been put on some pedestal that I don't deserve. You would think that compliments would be a good thing. It's kind of ironic how they can make people feel uneasy or feel even worse about themselves than as before.

I understand what you're saying completely, more then you may realize. I have the same issue, although I ignore the compliment when it's a lie, sarcasm, or to make fun of me. When I compliment others it's either for moral boost or I really mean it. And many people in my life take it as it is.

If you been critizied a lot instead of being encourage ..it's hard.
Sometimes it's hard to take constructive critism..so we develope a habit of putting up a wall.
Over time we stop distinguishing the difference between compliments and critism, so we don't take
compliment will or we think people must always have hidden motives to say something nice to us.

Plus we are our own worst critic. We judge ourselves very hard, we focus on our faults, flaws,
and failures instead of triumps or the things we've overcame or our assets.
So when people compliment us...we think not.

Failing is a part of winning. It's a part of the learning and growth process...but we don't think like that.
We watch too much TV or read too much magazines. Plus society to a certain piont
re enforce us to think like so...We must be #1 or we are loosers..

If we're not super models....we're freaken freaks.

But if we step back and think for a minute...even our sports heros, favorite musicains.
A indy car driver seldom win a race or every race nor win a championship...it might even take a life time.
He'll wreack cars plenty too.
Micheal Jordan only shot 52%..meaning he missed half of the time.
I don't even like half of the songs of my favorite musician...So why would I expect
everything I do to be perfect or good ? But not everything I do is bad.

I love compliments. Plus, I don't tend to read into the motives of people giving them.

I like paying them too.. if only people realised how wondeful each of them was, the world would be a better place.

Jeremi said:

Pretty much just like you described it.

I use to draw away from people on the rare occasion that I would receive a compliment, but after a while I began to simply smile and say thank you no matter what is going through my head. I found that I feel better afterwards. It's hard but you kinda just have to program your brain to respond in a positive way. Simply saying thanks is a good way to work towards that.

iamben said:
I use to draw away from people on the rare occasion that I would receive a compliment, but after a while is simply to smile and say thank you no matter what is going through my head. I found that I feel better afterwards. It's hard but you kinda just have to program your brain to respond in a positive way. Simply saying thanks is a good way to work towards that.

I agree with this. I used to feel like by saying thanks with a smile come across as I was being big headed about the complement. But its not. its just saying thanks. Cos after all a complement normal dose make you feel better even if you feel a little shy about getting them :)

Jeremi, You are a TOP banana :D

My first reaction is that its a lie. my second is wow: why is this person complimenting me, they must be delusional.

I used to be uncomfortable about compliments but not so much anymore. Usually I just smile, or smile and say thanks or something else depending on the situation. Well, to be truthful, I'm a sucker for compliments, I almost need them like water, so if I don't receive any for an extended period of time I feel somewhat disgruntled. :p It is very easy to explain too. Being quite insecure, I appreciate any ego boost that comes my way.

I usually have no problem giving compliments either if I see something I really like or if I get impressed. It is more of a problem though when a person shows off their new garment or somesuch and asks for my opinion and I don't like it. Then it's more complicated, I don't like outright lying so I just nod non-committally or mumble something neutral.

I find myself quite the opposite. I give a lot to the people I know, so any sort of compliment or thanks for anything I do is great for me, makes me socially energized, and feel good about myself. It's too bad that thanks or compliment doesn't come too often, people need to learn to say stuff like that more. I am the one giving thanks and compliments usually... I could at least get something back once in a while.

As for the whole "they are trying to manipulate me" mind state, well I am not friends with those kinds of people. So I know that what they are saying is coming from their heart.

Part of me just feels like I don't deserve compliments. I guess my self-esteem is pretty bad =/

I think it'd be cool to start giving people nonsensical compliments.

"My, what a well formed skull you have."

"The way you negate gravity's pull with your walking is just amazing."

"Way to evolve from a few cells man, that's really awesome."

"The way you utilize that oxygen to keep living is really outstanding!"

Unacceptance said:

LOL

I know this all too well. I used to get very squirmish whenever someone complimented me on anything. Then I'd reply with a self-deprecating comment. I still do this a lot and I still get squirmish, but I've been trying hard to just smile and say thank you because I know that most people genuinely mean it and it does make you feel a whole lot better.
Speaking of compliments, just wanted to say Jeremi, you look a lot like this guy I used to know a long time ago. I was madly in love with him and he has a face just like yours. Why you're lonely, I'll never know;) <sorry if I made you squirmish:p

Unacceptance said:

haha, those are brilliant man. It would be cool to tell those to my workmates, just to see how they would react

Thanks Noname. That's a very sweet compliment ^^

And thanks Bluey. If I'm a top banana, you're a whole bunch of top bananas! (If that makes sense)

Latest posts

Back