Does your job have some effect on your loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy1986

Reaction score
Hi,

I have resigned from my current job and I'll be starting a new one in 2 weeks, I came to realization that seeing the same people over and over again for nearly half a decade can drive anyone insane, especially in my profession (software) .

Sometimes, doing the same routine can make you especially depressed, at least it's what I feel,  a huge part of me just wishes I could simply be somewhere else every day, get a bit away from the tiresome atmosphere of every day life, also people in my profession are often bunch of arrogant dicks who think so highly of themselves and when I see one of them mistreat others, It can really get me off my edge

I worked alone for 18 months as a janitor. I used to have exitential crisis everytime I was moping the floor at 10 am on a sunday.

Hey Roy,

I'm in software also, well kinda atleast, I'm an inhouse developer at a small company where me and one other build and maintain a custom ERP application (ASP.NET MVC in C#, bootstrap frontend), I don't know what kind of software your in, is it creating system software, application software or embeded software for delivery with hardware (think robotics)?

Probably only the last of those has positions for on-call engineers, and thats probably also more oriented towards the technical staff, it can be a very isolating profession!

MisterLonely said:
Hey Roy,

I'm in software also, well kinda atleast, I'm an inhouse developer at a small company where me and one other build and maintain a custom ERP application (ASP.NET MVC in C#, bootstrap frontend), I don't know what kind of software your in, is it creating system software, application software or embeded software for delivery with hardware (think robotics)?

Probably only the last of those has positions for on-call engineers, and thats probably also more oriented towards the technical staff, it can be a very isolating profession!

like yourself, I work for small companies, started my career at a startup company and soon to be moving to another.
I am a backend engineer, mostly developing microservices in Java and Python and on my next job I'm going to be a Big Data developer(Hadoop,Spark).

I love what I do, yet it can be extremely frustrating knowing not more than few dozens of people within several years, also you know how tech guys are... some of them really keep it to themselves and they don't share much. 
Also, where I worked there weren't so many women which kinda felt as if in some kind of boarding school for males only, I really hope that the company which I'm going to join has more social atmosphere

IT can be quite an insular role - especially as a developer. Not suggestion this is you - but many devs are not social animals and instead choose to sit with headphones in all day. I think though that the job itself isn't the problem, it's more the company and colleagues. You might find that your new job - even if the same thing - might be with people who have a different approach to the day. There's nothing better than a lunch time beer with work colleagues, or a night out together for a meal. It can make the difference with any job

Yes. I have worked in the same place for 14 years. When I started I had never worked in a job for longer than 2 years. Now every single bad thing that has ever happened stays with me because the people that work there NEVER leave. Not to mention my job never changes. It is so boring.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
Yes. I have worked in the same place for 14 years. When I started I had never worked in a job for longer than 2 years.  Now every single bad thing that has ever happened stays with me because the people that work there NEVER leave. Not to mention my job never changes. It is so boring.

that's exactly how I felt at the job I'm leaving but in my case , I got into serious depression as a result , so I knew that despite the fact that I keep getting nice raises to my paycheck, it does little effect to improve my daily mood, I really hope that my next job will make me feel a bit better about life.

I think work can have an effect, sure. I've worked jobs where people were young, cliquey, and often pushed responsibility off on others. As a frequent outsider, I often picked up their slack and was bothered on my breaks. My current job people are more positive and I work around several other women so it actually helps.

Another problem I have is that I am not really allowed to talk about my work. I suppose I could with people on a one on one basis but I can't post what happens on facebook... I can't really discuss it anyplace online unless in vague terms and if I do talk with someone outside of work I risk THEM talking about it publicly.

Never saw that coming when I signed up. Plus I can't leave because if I do I will lose my retirement benefits... but it has gotten to the point where every day I wonder if I am going to make it to that point.

Sort because although I work with good people, I don't feel that we have massive amounts in common and they seem to have their social circle.

Latest posts

Back