Single on the holidays

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki

Reaction score
I've always sort of felt like I'm doing something wrong or breaking some kind of social rule by not having a girlfriend to bring to Christmas dinner with my family and I'm wondering is it just me? Does anybody else feel like this around the holidays?

You could always find a boyfriend ... maybe shock the hell out of the family and no pressure for next year

Loki said:
I've always sort of felt like I'm doing something wrong or breaking some kind of social rule by not having a girlfriend to bring to Christmas dinner with my family and I'm wondering is it just me? Does anybody else feel like this around the holidays?

Well, family usually act this way out of concern and it mostly comes out from the women in the family who have no idea how difficult it is for a guy to find someone who is not only right for him but also really wants to be with him.

I'm Jewish so I don't celebrate Christmas, However, Jewish holidays are very similar to Christian ones when it comes to the entire family coming together and people bringing spouses.
My immediate family really wants me to settle down and have a family of my own and my mother's side of the family don't really care about me, so I don't really mind what they think. 

It seems like my nieces have overheard some of the adult conversations between my Mother, Sister and brother-in-law because they keep telling me "Hey Roy , you are 30 , you should get married" quite hilarious and kinda takes the edge off of my current relationship status.

Being in a relationship is not some kind of Fad or something. We don't need to be in it only because everyone is. I think its hard to find the right person. Everyone can be fake at first only to pursue or please each other that is the biggest bummer.

lonelycrying1 said:
Being in a relationship is not some kind of Fad or something. We don't need to be in it only because everyone is. I think its hard to find the right person. Everyone can be fake at first only to pursue or please each other that is the biggest bummer.

That's what I'm trying to tell people, 
it's very easy to pick the first 1 from the opposite sex(or same for some people) who wants you, marry that one and live with him/her, but unless you're lucky, in most cases you are going to be even more miserable than ever. 

There are some advantages of being alone during the holiday as well

1. You don't have to go see people that she likes but you can't stand
2. You can do whatever the hell you want around the house and no1 tells you not to 
3. You visit people and leave whenever you feel like it

Not saying that it's better, but I think that during that time, we need to think positive and not focus so much on the negative, it does nothing than get us down.

Loki said:

Yes, I agree with you, Loki.

I hate being single on holidays.

But hey, I at least give you credit for showing up at family/relative gatherings being single.

For me, I don't show up or attend family / relative get-togethers for lunch or dinners, because ALL of my cousins are married and have babies or kids who are now in high school or middle school.

I, myself, is the only individual who not only has not married, but don't even have a girlfriend. It is very stressful that I can't find a significant other, and at times during my prayers, ask God why he has cursed me.

lonelycrying1 said:

^^ Well, being in a relationship with a girlfriend (or boyfriend for female members), gives you some credibility and some comfort that you're with someone, and not viewed by others as being weird or antisocial or having mental issues when it comes to love/romance.

Yes, it is hard for me, at least, to find the right person, because I'm constantly getting ignored or no text messages response after my first date.

Being in a relationship is not a fad, but it helps to be in one so that you don't feel alone and stressed out.

Latest posts

Back