Does therapy actually work?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musicman

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been suffering feelings of intense loneliness, depression, lack of motivation, and low-self esteem for about 5 years now. With a friend's encouragement, I've started going to short-term (6 sessions or so) counseling sessions at my college.

I know I need to give this a solid try, but I've had three sessions so far and I don't see how this could help. We've talked through a number of my issues, and she's given me small pieces of advice, asking me to challenge certain ways of thinking and whatnot; I just don't see how it's going to do anything. I don't feel any better afterwards.

The whole thing feels like a meek joke compared to the intensity of the negative feelings I've been having; I feel like she doesn't understand how bad things have been. It's like trying to put out a house fire with a watering can.

Does this honeysuckle actually work? Life is not worth going on this way. Things need to get better, and soon. It's been intensely bad for years.

For any of you who celebrate it, I hope you're happy enough to have a Merry Christmas.

Hi merry xmas hope you feel you can perhaps enjoy a good Christmas lunch today. Sorry I can't offer any advice on therapy as I've never had any. 

I think you are doing the right thing by asking here though. It seems like you haven't found the right councillor to me.

It's not always easy finding the right therapist. A lot of times, you'll have to shop around until you find one that's trustworthy. Of course, seeing as you're relying on your school's services I'm not sure if that's a possibility for you. In the meantime, you could tell her this current mode of therapy isn't working for you. She should be able to offer some alternate methods of treatment.

That six meeting, college therapy event is probably intended as a crisis intervention service and if I was in your place I'd look at it as just that, only. I'm guessing that you might be looking for a long term, years long therapeutic relationship. Given that it's logistically doable, in terms of paying the shrink's fee, there's the whole other issue of finding the right therapist for you. Bring this up with your counselor. Ask her how does one go about locating a shrink? And ask yourself what you expect of a therapeutic relationship.

I was in therapy for years myself and can say that it's a special relationship and is only as effective or helpful as you make it.

Not all therapists are the same. Not all therapies are the same. Shop around if needed. Therapy helped me during a terrible time in my life. I didn't realize it had "helped" until after the fact. It was good having someone to have healthful conversations with. My family was (and still is) full of twisted psychos.

I think that just telling someone everything in your mind without any masks and filtering can help a lot, regardless who that person is, However, I think it's crucial to choose someone who can give you some direction on how to think more positively.

I started therapy 2 weeks ago, C.B.T treatment, hopes it will help me

Define "work."
I suppose it depends on your expectations, your relationship with your therapist and how openly and clearly you explain your feelings and what you're looking to gain by the sessions.
True story - I made a list of questions for my therapist, lol.

No, Not for me. Not unless I want to hear a lot of the things I already know.or all it. I have the voices in my head for that.
Oh, and this forum ☺

To follow up on my previous post that was meant to be a bit humorous. The times when I do get the feeling that I really need help and should talk to a proffesional are very similair to topics that I have posted here. And I reach out here. And that is a great advantage to have people online who can give you insight within moments.  As opposed to waiting a week to speak to someone who has you on a clock for 45 min. Where you already know the answers to 99% of all the things you might bring up. 

Example. I been wearing the same clothes every day for over two months. Do I kinda know why I am doing it? Yeah. Can I bring that up to a professional? Yeah. Will they suggested meds. Most likley. Do I want meds? No. There is the reason why it might be a waste for me. Might be better to post here

Ok. I am going to leave this here for anyone to pick apart.
Analyze. The only time I do change my clothes. Is when
I leave my neighborhood. And go and meet someone. In that circumstance I was able to do it

bleed_the_freak said:
Not all therapists are the same. Not all therapies are the same. Shop around if needed. Therapy helped me during a terrible time in my life. I didn't realize it had "helped" until after the fact. It was good having someone to have healthful conversations with. My family was (and still is) full of twisted psychos.

^this.

It will help you if you are open to hearing your therapist's advice and perspectives (provided you get a good one), and you're willing to try the exercises they bring to the table (those that are within reason of course). But I feel like it largely depends on your chemistry with the therapist. Some therapists that work for others may not work for you and vice versa. Finding one that is suitable may take time, but may be well worth it if you're in need for someone to help you through a rough patch.

I happened to be lucky to hit the right therapist who did help me get out of a bad time. She taught me skills and lessons that I could apply and adapt for myself and after her, I didn't feel like I need a therapist anymore. She made me realise that I can do it on my own if I conjure the will to. Of course that's easier said than done... but yes, the therapist I went to helped me a great deal.

As others have said, much depends on how good the therapist is but also (personal experience) whether you actually want to make any necessary change which can be harder than it sounds. I hope it helps you.

I'm almost afraid to reply, as a new member, and one suffering from depression, I know it makes me feel like I have been driven into a corner, and the only thing I can do is keep staring at the corner.
But I have learned a lot about different ways to help myself...CBT...meditation....and even actually training to be a counsellor, which I dropped out of after 1 year...just too academic for me...

I have a severe motivation deficiency....but one thing I can do, and do regularly...is write.
It can be stories....horror..or romance..(aka smut..lol!) but I can usually get some sort of scenario together to take me away from myself. I can be a person who I'm not, and can have the life I want to.

It may have the opposite effect, and make you sad, but for me it works. You don't even have to publish it, (I do..I get a kick if anyone reads it) but at least it means I did something.

As far as counselling - the right therapist is vital, someone who you feel has the approach that helps you to learn how to feel different.

Hope this helps.

Restless soul said:
No, Not for me. Not unless I want to hear a lot of the things I already know.or all it. I have the voices in my head for that.
Oh, and this forum ☺

Ditto. Just didn't work for me, even when I found a therapist I liked. I guess the only good thing it did was take some of the emotional burden off my friends.

Latest posts

Back