Self-esteem pretty wrecked from online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MentatsGhoul

Reaction score
So last year I tried online dating and I gave up pretty quick since there was virtually no one in my area. 

This year, I have a lot more friends, but my romantic life has been very unsuccessful, so thoughts turned to dating again. Better self-esteem and knowing that a lot of people actually like me as a friend really helped. I told a close female friend about my experiences in online dating and why it didn't work out, and she recommended using Tinder. And about a week ago, I finally got around to making my profile.

Well, it was very promising, hundreds of women from my area, and I thought surely I'd find something, at the very least chat and maybe go on a date or two. Now, for those who don't know, Tinder is based on matches, which means that you both need to anonymously like each other's profiles before you can get around to messaging. A good system, since, in theory, it means you only get the chance to message people you already know are attracted to you, and if you "like" someone who isn't interested, you never have to face the embarrassment, since it's anonymous until you "match".

A week later though, guess how many matches I've gotten... No, not a dozen or so, not a couple. None. Absolutely none. I don't even have the chance to try to chat up anyone. And I can't really just explain it away. I read on the internet, and apparently it's actually pretty uncommon to get, you know, literally NO matches, I read figures for men from anywhere between a half a dozen to forty in their first week, and for women, pretty much everyone they liked being an instant match. I must have "liked" countless girls, possibly 50-100, but none of them have "matched". Not a one. 

I've always considered myself good looking, but okay, honeysuckle, maybe I'm not as great as some of the bearded guys with sixpacks and tattoos that every girl goes crazy over. I guess I can live with that. And it's the holidays, there's less people on. Sure. But... none man. I even got a "boost" twice (which puts your profile on the front of the queue, thus getting it much more views), and still nothing.

honeysuckle... how can a man keep up hope like this.... Not a single one...

MentatsGhoul said:
So last year I tried online dating and I gave up pretty quick since there was virtually no one in my area. 

This year, I have a lot more friends, but my romantic life has been very unsuccessful, so thoughts turned to dating again. Better self-esteem and knowing that a lot of people actually like me as a friend really helped. I told a close female friend about my experiences in online dating and why it didn't work out, and she recommended using Tinder. And about a week ago, I finally got around to making my profile.

Well, it was very promising, hundreds of women from my area, and I thought surely I'd find something, at the very least chat and maybe go on a date or two. Now, for those who don't know, Tinder is based on matches, which means that you both need to anonymously like each other's profiles before you can get around to messaging. A good system, since, in theory, it means you only get the chance to message people you already know are attracted to you, and if you "like" someone who isn't interested, you never have to face the embarrassment, since it's anonymous until you "match".

A week later though, guess how many matches I've gotten... No, not a dozen or so, not a couple. None. Absolutely none. I don't even have the chance to try to chat up anyone. And I can't really just explain it away. I read on the internet, and apparently it's actually pretty uncommon to get, you know, literally NO matches, I read figures for men from anywhere between a half a dozen to forty in their first week, and for women, pretty much everyone they liked being an instant match. I must have "liked" countless girls, possibly 50-100, but none of them have "matched". Not a one. 

I've always considered myself good looking, but okay, honeysuckle, maybe I'm not as great as some of the bearded guys with sixpacks and tattoos that every girl goes crazy over. I guess I can live with that. And it's the holidays, there's less people on. Sure. But... none man. I even got a "boost" twice (which puts your profile on the front of the queue, thus getting it much more views), and still nothing.

honeysuckle... how can a man keep up hope like this.... Not a single one...

I can relate. And all I can say is stick with it. You are bound to get a match. But you might have more success on another app which has gained in popularity ccalled bumble. It's defiantly not as flakey as tinder.  Give it a go!

I?ve been liking about a dozen girls every day and the app only allows ons super-like every 24 hours. I've got exactly 3 matches in 3 months. I've probably liked about 300 profiles by now. I even have schedule to when to use the likes. None of my matches have talked to me first and only one of those 3 responded to the conversation. Needless to say we never got anywhere and I could tell they lost interest right away. I have a range of 75 kms and women between the age of 19 and 29, and sometimes the app literally sayd there's no one close. Talk about a bad location. Also have in mind I'm not liking super-attractive girls, I'm regarding a good profile and a semi-decent appearance. Even liking people who have similar friends, since its linked to your facebook. The other day I had a match with a profile with no pic of the girl. It had photos of a show I knew, so I messaged her making a reference to that, thinking we had that in common. Was about 2 days ago. Still no answer.

Xpendable said:
I?ve been liking about a dozen girls every day and the app only allows ons super-like every 24 hours. I've got exactly 3 matches in 3 months. I've probably liked about 300 profiles by now. I even have schedule to when to use the likes. None of my matches have talked to me first and only one of those 3 responded to the conversation. Needless to say we never got anywhere and I could tell they lost interest right away. I have a range of 75 kms and women between the age of 19 and 29, and sometimes the app literally sayd there's no one close. Talk about a bad location. Also have in mind I'm not liking super-attractive girls, I'm regarding a good profile and a semi-decent appearance. Even liking people who have similar friends, since its linked to your facebook. The other day I had a match with a profile with no pic of the girl. It had photos of a show I knew, so I messaged her making a reference to that, thinking we had that in common. Was about 2 days ago. Still no answer.

To be honest even when the app does work out for you and you get some matches, most matches will not answer so I believe many people just use it to get a boost for their ego, I even have 2 married friends(to each other) who use this app just for the fun of it. 

I've been using tinder for like almost a year, had something like 30 matches during that time, and got only 5 conversations, 2 phone numbers and 1 extremely short+unhealthy relationship.

As opposed to that, a dating site helped me a lot more on that regard because people there tend to be more serious about getting to know others.

I had someone recommend Tinder to me. For months, I didn't even understand how it worked because I got no matches. It wasn't until I watched a random YouTube video that I realized that you message girls that like you back. That was my problem. In all those months, there wasn't a single, solitary person who swiped right on me. It's 100% about looks and girls are incredibly shallow. If you don't look like a model, I wouldn't even bother with any dating site.

bd1974 said:
I had someone recommend Tinder to me. For months, I didn't even understand how it worked because I got no matches. It wasn't until I watched a random YouTube video that I realized that you message girls that like you back. That was my problem. In all those months, there wasn't a single, solitary person who swiped right on me. It's 100% about looks and girls are incredibly shallow. If you don't look like a model, I wouldn't even bother with any dating site.

You mean girls on Tinder, right? Please don't generalize about the whole gender.

By the way, of course it's just about looks. It's the whole premise of the app, to just hook up with people you find attractive.

DarkSelene said:
bd1974 said:

You mean girls on Tinder, right? Please don't generalize about the whole gender.

By the way, of course it's just about looks. It's the whole premise of the app, to just hook up with people you find attractive.

Sorry. I should have said every female I've ever encountered is incredibly shallow. I guess there are those out there that aren't, but I've never met them.

bd1974 said:
DarkSelene said:
bd1974 said:

Sorry. I should have said every female I've ever encountered is incredibly shallow. I guess there are those out there that aren't, but I've never met them.

Well I've got friends who don't look like models who found their partners off dating websites...

Paraiyar said:
Well I've got friends who don't look like models who found their partners off dating websites...

Do the partners look like models?

Xpendable said:
Paraiyar said:

Do the partners look like models?

I was responding to "If you don't look like a model, I wouldn't even bother with any dating site."

To be honest, it's literally the fact that it's no one. I like maybe... let's say 40% of the profiles I see, and I probably go through hundreds every day. Some might say that number should be higher, but it's not really like I just like the perfect tens or whatever, it's more about not going for those who I very likely wouldn't get along with and who probably wouldn't like me back anyway.

Even with the "shallow" arguemnt, well, I've actually been told I'm good looking lately by a number of friends, including female friends. I look notably worse in most pictures, but... still. I'd get it if the extremely angelic looking ones didn't like me, because there's plenty of model looking types, I'd get it if I only got a few but... man, just the thought that not a single person so far. Not one. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but... it actually baffles me that I have so few options, that not a single girl would match for me. It's a real eye opener to be honest, and not a good one. I never would have expected things to be this bad.

Oh my god.

To add insult to injury, today I FINALLY got a match. It was a girl who was five years older than me and didn't have much in her profile, so I wasn't really expecting a date or it to lead anywhere, but hey, I was happy at least someone was potentially interested. I wasn't going to message right away because I didn't have too much to go on, plus its New Years Eve and I didn't wanna look too desperate. I let it be for a while.

When I checked my phone again and looked at my matches, it once again told me I had no matches yet. Within two hours she had unmatched from me. Man... you finally get to feel good for a moment and then you just get slapped in the face again...

Since I don't own a phone, I have no idea how the mobile dating apps work.

Now, on dating sites, women usually couldn't care less if you "liked" them. They want someone to send them a message. Then they can ignore it or reply. After a day or 2 on the site, they will have been flooded with so many fake messages or obscene messages that they give up and quit.
So if it's a dating website, you will have to do more than "like" them.

Unless you are too old to date, like me, in which case you won't get a response even if you offer them $1 million. ha ha ha!

MentatsGhoul said:
Oh my god.

To add insult to injury, today I FINALLY got a match. It was a girl who was five years older than me and didn't have much in her profile, so I wasn't really expecting a date or it to lead anywhere, but hey, I was happy at least someone was potentially interested. I wasn't going to message right away because I didn't have too much to go on, plus its New Years Eve and I didn't wanna look too desperate. I let it be for a while.

When I checked my phone again and looked at my matches, it once again told me I had no matches yet. Within two hours she had unmatched from me. Man... you finally get to feel good for a moment and then you just get slapped in the face again...

She chickened out ... had nothing to do with you 
Stop worrying about what they are thinking 
Probsbly would have been a great time to propose a public new year eve meet 
Kick yourself in the butt for procrastinating

If I listened to the matches that dating sites say are there for me....I'd be harbouring a fugitive. And how can I possibly be a match with someone who hasn't filled out the compatibility tests? I don't even hit like on anyone's photos to indicate interest to begin with. And don't get me started on the guys who say "looking for no strings attached" is just them looking for friends to see how far things go. At this point, those sites are just entertainment for me.

blackdot said:
Since I don't own a phone, I have no idea how the mobile dating apps work.

Now, on dating sites, women usually couldn't care less if you "liked" them. They want someone to send them a message. Then they can ignore it or reply. After a day or 2 on the site, they will have been flooded with so many fake messages or obscene messages that they give up and quit.
So if it's a dating website, you will have to do more than "like" them.

Unless you are too old to date, like me, in which case you won't get a response even if you offer them $1 million. ha ha ha!

I appreciate your comment, but no, that's not how Tinder works. You CANNOT message someone unless both of you have previously "liked" each others profile. And liking is anonymous, so essentially how it works is you go through profiles and like the ones you're interested in in hopes that they'll do the same to you. So, it follows that not a single woman I've been interested in has even liked me enough to potentially risk talking to me...

BadGuy said:
MentatsGhoul said:
Oh my god.

She chickened out ... had nothing to do with you 
Stop worrying about what they are thinking 
Probsbly would have been a great time to propose a public new year eve meet 
Kick yourself in the butt for procrastinating

Well... I'll never know why, maybe it was a perfectly valid and unoffensive reason, but the bottom line is, she was so uninterested that she had to quickly do damage control and get rid of me. I'd get unmatching if I'd have spoken to her and we didn't click, but... idk. Which goes to show you how women generally regard me, at least as a potential date. 

I'm glad it at least wasn't a girl I was very keen on messaging anyway, else it would have been a real kick in the teeth.

AmytheTemperamental said:
If I listened to the matches that dating sites say are there for me....I'd be harbouring a fugitive. And how can I possibly be a match with someone who hasn't filled out the compatibility tests?  I don't even hit like on anyone's photos to indicate interest to begin with. And don't get me started on the guys who say "looking for no strings attached" is just them looking for friends to see how far things go. At this point, those sites are just entertainment for me.

You write "Eh, the matches you get on those are dumb anyway", I read "Literally a fugitive looking to find someone to exploit has better chances than me" :p. Fml....

MentatsGhoul said:
Oh my god.

@ MentatsGhoul. Cool man. I too am doing online dating these days, and started back in October. I have been using match.com, OK Cupid and Zoosk. I have had some success with Match.com, where I have met two girls last year. Both of them were fat/obese, and they must have had a great mind-reading radar, because the first girl lost interest in me after the 2nd date, and the other girl, ...we've met before Christmas for dinner, and after that she stopped texting me, and I did the same.

BTW, with that older girl who un-matched herself from you, that's really f--ked up what she did.

I hope you hold your head up high, though, and continue with using Tinder. However, don't limit your online/cyber dating to Tinder.

For me, Tinder was not a good dating app, and basically garbage. But if you do decide to continue to swipe away with Tinder, I wish you the best of luck!

I like to think Tinder like all dating sites/apps, has more men to woman using said site/app. So the girls will have to do a lot more swiping to discover your profile.

So don't get too disheartened. It could be very few girls have actually had the chance to swipe your profile.

Goodluck on your quest for companionship

Latest posts

Back