Any tricks to go back to sleep?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy1986

Reaction score
I'm having this annoying problem of occasionally waking up in the middle of the night and then it's extremely difficult for me to fall back to sleep because I start thinking of all kinds of honeysuckle. 

When I smoked cigs I simply had a very hot cup of tea and a cig along with it, but I'm not smoking for the last 3 years and I really don't want to get back to it again, any 1 else suffer from it and has a solution other than meds ?

Years ago I had problems falling asleep. I dealt with a lot of anxiety. But one thing seemed to work a lot on many a restless night. I used to read fantasy and horror stories. Thinking of these stories, I would imagine a fantasy story with me in it and make it up as I go. Of course it would be about me doing something positive and nothing bad was to happen to me in the made up story lol! I always fell asleep before I got too deep in the storyline. It still works for me when I feel restless.

This is clearly your solution right here :p hehe

But if that doesn't work and more seriously: you could try a fairly wide range of ASMR vids on YouTube designed to help people sleep. It's basically various relaxing sounds like rain or ocean waves, hair dryers, music, humms, whispering, forest sounds, even pillow talk, whatever works for you, the selection is pretty much endless. Rain has always helped me sleep and this is a fairly easy and low effort way to go.

Stop over this thinking it ... dont get upset ... maybe look at the clock and think well that's weird. ...roll over and go back to sleep

I'll watch something online or play a game. It's not good for your eyes to do that in the dark but it sure does tire you out fast. Works for me most of the time.

Sci-Fi said:
I'll watch something online or play a game. It's not good for your eyes to do that in the dark but it sure does tire you out fast. Works for me most of the time.

Not if you're watching/playing something interesting, though, right? It needs some balance between being fun, so you can keep doing it until you're sleepy again, and boring so you actually get tired in time...
(I try this sometimes but only by rewatching sitcoms, the jokes are mildly entertaining but the plot is always predictable/tiring enough to make me sleepy)

If it's anxiety caused, try some slow deep breaths and try to relax all muscles in the body. Otherwise, maybe web surfing or watching vids would help you. I don't know if it is the same case for you, but I wake up hungry sometimes and have a small snack otherwise I won't be able to sleep.

I do a few things as I rarely sleep through the night anymore.

- I lay still and tense up my entire body, then consciously relax only one part at a time in a wave going from my toes to my head. I usually have to do this a couple times but it works.

- I have a happy thought I go to...usually for me it is swimming in a lake at sunset in warm water. It just relaxes me. ( definitely wouldn't work if someone was scared of the water hahaha - you'd have to find your own spot of course lol)

- keep a note pad by the bed....if it is something on your mind write it down and leave it there until tomorrow. Especially if it is a to do list.

- and like SciFi...sometimes I need a small distraction and tired eyes rather than just lay there tossing and turning. I'll get up and check something on line.

- warm milk and honey :p

Put the tv on. I keep it on with low volume and it allows my brain to concentrate on what is being said (eyes closed) while I drift off to sleep. I prefer infomercials. They are so positive.

Also, having some sort of high carb snack like a cinnamon roll can knock me out.

If you wake up in the middle of the night sometimes I take it that my body just don't need the sleep. Don't force it unless it happens constantly.

I use lavender essential oil for sleep. Sometimes I just get up have some tea sit around for a bit and then go try to sleep again.

I fall asleep while listening songs.maybe it'll help ya.if don't then boring songs will help you to feel sleepy.
I used to woke up in middle of the night too ,but i never fall asleep after that ,it was really annoying..

I usually fall asleep listening to Kaamelott (Comedy series from France. It's hilarious, but I don't think it's ever been translated).
I have trouble sleeping in total silence when I'm not hearing someone talking and wake up at the slightest sound in the house. This helps.

Latest posts

Back