Anyone here work in Computers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyFoxSeaton

Reaction score
I am mid career but I am looking for something to do when I "retire" from my first career. At that point I will get some money from a pension and a 401K but it will be about 10 years before Social Security kicks in. 

I want to start on a new career.  I am "eying" computers because 

1. I am naturally good at them. At my current workplace my computer people say I am good with them.  I seem to "understand" them. 
2. It seems to be something that would be in search of a "woman" and seems to have a ton of jobs and a ton of good jobs.
3. It seems to be the kind of thing where you could do it almost anyplace and could be part time.  Also a lot of the workplaces seem progressive. 

Before I start training... anyone in the industry want to disabuse me of these notions?

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
I am mid career but I am looking for something to do when I "retire" from my first career. At that point I will get some money from a pension and a 401K but it will be about 10 years before Social Security kicks in. 

I want to start on a new career.  I am "eying" computers because 

1. I am naturally good at them. At my current workplace my computer people say I am good with them.  I seem to "understand" them. 
2. It seems to be something that would be in search of a "woman" and seems to have a ton of jobs and a ton of good jobs.
3. It seems to be the kind of thing where you could do it almost anyplace and could be part time.  Also a lot of the workplaces seem progressive. 

Before I start training... anyone in the industry want to disabuse me of these notions?

Hey Emily.

I've been in "computers" as a profession for the last 6 years give ot take, and I can assure you all your reasons could indeed aply, but they are not a given, and not a standard for every buisness/company, be it software, hardware, maintenance or suport.

What would you like to do in computers? would you want to be a programmer and work on software?, would you like to be a builder and assemble computers, servers or even intire datacentres?, would you want to be in the repair and recovery buisness, helping those that are less savy with a keyboard and mouse?

Being in computers is a very broad field because every company, big or small even every self employed person has to deal with computers and software in one way or another these days, there are lots of jobs to be found and everyone seems to be in agreement that will be the case for the forseable future.

First thing is figuring out what direction you want to go. Some will be very suitable for parttime employment and others less so, one thing your absolutely correct about though, women are always in short suply in the field!

I'm not in the field myself but I know quite a few people who are and I have a good friend who's a senior tech consultant in one of the big computer giants. The general consensus that I've gotten both from my friend and other acquaintances is that it's a very stressful job with a lot of big egos, a lot of politics and a lot of backstabbing.

My friend has changed jobs within the field several times in the last five years because he can't take the pressure. Right now he's doing the work of three distinct positions and can't say 'no' because he would be demoted and lose the bigger salary. Not to mention the fact that he's absolutely myopic about the whole thing, every time I see him he has some new incident or perceived slight by a colleague to complain about. It's very wearing on him and me.

Now, in my friend's case, he has a very type-A personality, for lack of a better phrase, so he can knuckle down and do the job despite how much he hates it. And as much as he does hate it, I think part of him also loves it because he thinks he's doing something that makes him better than other people in 'inferior' jobs (as I said, egotism seems to come with the job).

If it's something you really want to do, by all means pursue it with all your heart, but it's a job that will grind you down if you let it. If you're just starting out, maybe try to get a job with a smaller company or maybe even try part-time first and wet your toes a little. Best of luck to you. :)

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
2. It seems to be something that would be in search of a "woman"

Why would it be something for women?  I'm not sure I understand that....Secretary jobs are usually more woman based and they use computers.  Is that what you mean?

TheRealCallie said:
EmilyFoxSeaton said:

Why would it be something for women?  I'm not sure I understand that....Secretary jobs are usually more woman based and they use computers.  Is that what you mean?

Computer Science fields are something like 80-20 men vrs. women. Actually there are a few websites that are set up just to encourage women to go into the profession and examine why women don't.  So as I woman I feel I might have an edge. 

Basically I just want to work at one of those new tech hip companies... like Facebook or Mathworks that gets good marks on glassdoor. For me the biggest thing I want is to work for a company that is fun. And for the most part when I look at what they want... it is computer people. Also, computer science seems to be about the only thing that can go pretty much anyplace. For instance the only job where I work now that can't find someone (and keep them) is a programmer position.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
TheRealCallie said:
EmilyFoxSeaton said:

Computer Science fields are something like 80-20 men vrs. women. Actually there are a few websites that are set up just to encourage women to go into the profession and examine why women don't.  So as I woman I feel I might have an edge. 

Basically I just want to work at one of those new tech hip companies... like Facebook or Mathworks that gets good marks on glassdoor. For me the biggest thing I want is to work for a company that is fun. And for the most part when I look at what they want... it is computer people. Also, computer science seems to be about the only thing that can go pretty much anyplace. For instance the only job where I work now that can't find someone (and keep them) is a programmer position.

Those hip clubs like Facebook and Mathworks don't have any problem getting their female quotas filled though, pretty much anyone wants to work at a place like that and I think you'll need allot of credentials to get a foot in the door. It might be you're current employer can't keep a programmer because he/she feels they deserve  a hip relaxed and easygoing work environment, while in reality only a very small percentile of jobs in computer sience will fit that criteria. Most jobs are just like any other job, you need to put in the hours, do what your told and stick to the rules set out for everyone.

Go for what your hearth desires, but don't expect to get into a company like facebook without experience and atleast a masters degree.

There are jobs aplenty in the field so I would say a graduate degree in computer science or something similar would be a great career choice if you're interested in it. Although it is very difficult to get into the bigger, more prolific companies.

Skid Row 89 said:
There are jobs aplenty in the field so I would say a graduate degree in computer science or something similar would be a great career choice if you're interested in it. Although it is very difficult to get into the bigger, more prolific companies.

Is it necessary to get a degree? I already have a (graduate) degree in something else non math related. If I could demonstrate I could do the work...?   My degrees and the career i am leaving should demonstrate that I am bright.  I planned on taking computer classes and studying on my own. I refuse to give one more dime to higher education. 

I was kind of hoping my unique non traditional route and female status could get me in the door. 

Kind of confused as to how it is so competitive. At my workplace we practically can't find anyone for IT and, when we do, they leave for greener pastures at a tech company.

I would imagine it would be necessary to get a degree if you want the type of job you are looking for.

And really, I think you're expectations are higher than they should be. Regardless of where you work, there will be bullshit, just like there is at any workplace.

I didn't have any type of education when I started the job, but the big tech companies and those where software engineering is core buisness will no take anyone on without proper credentials simply because there are enough certified people trying to get in there already.

Aim for a startup, or a smallish company that has trouble keeping their IT staff is what i'd advise.
But ofcourse it's your choice wether tho play it safe or aim for the stars

Another route in is being fluent in a business language. Do you speak French, German or Spanish, Emily?

lifestream said:
Another route in is being fluent in a business language.  Do you speak French, German or Spanish, Emily?

No. But I could learn a language while waiting.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
Skid Row 89 said:

Is it necessary to get a degree? I already have a (graduate) degree in something else non math related. If I could demonstrate I could do the work...?   My degrees and the career i am leaving should demonstrate that I am bright.  I planned on taking computer classes and studying on my own. I refuse to give one more dime to higher education. 

I was kind of hoping my unique non traditional route and female status could get me in the door. 

Kind of confused as to how it is so competitive. At my workplace we practically can't find anyone for IT and, when we do, they leave for greener pastures at a tech company.
Some people get an apprenticeship without having done a computing degree so you could go down that route.  It's competitive and over saturated for certain companies/computing roles but some other sectors are crying out for computing professionals, such as schools looking for qualified IT teachers who can teach coding languages instead of just teaching simple things like Word and Excel.

Hi Emily, I'm an IT manager. It depends what route you go down, if you want to PM me with your age and past career I'll advise what I would suggest would work out. IT is overwhelmed with lots of people with degrees but no experience but depending on your past career you could well be experienced enough to find an IT related role even without specific IT skills.

I'm not in the field, but I'm starting to think that I should have given computers and IT more of a chance. It seems to be where a lot of the good jobs are.

lifestream said:
Now, in my friend's case, he has a very type-A personality, for lack of a better phrase, so he can knuckle down and do the job despite how much he hates it.

I don't understand how someone is able to do that. I could see how someone could do something they hated if they knew it was temporary, and they could count down the days until the job is over. But to do something I hated indefinitely, I think it would drive me to frustration, despair, and completely take the joy out of my life. I think I would just start to hate everything, or feel like life is pointless. I don't think I'd even be able to enjoy the time where I wasn't at work, because I'd be spending it dreading work, venting about it, and probably drinking.

Latest posts

Back