Work

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losertron

Reaction score
I hate my job, it makes me miserble.

I'm the youngest at 26, the next being 40 and the rest are in their 50's.  I work 8-5 Mon-Fri, the trouble is from about 12 there is very little to do. I'm practically stood in silence with my colleague(55yrs old). Im a very shy and reserved person with not a lot to say at the best oftimes. Me and my colleague have little in common and our conversation's get very laboured quite quickly. I do everything I can to avoid our stands, be it an extra few minutes on my lunch break.,coming into work right on my start time, hiding in the toilet or down aisle and much more.

My days feel to last forever and I dread everyday. I've been here for 2.5 years but can't see myself lasting much longer. However i am an unskilled worker and other job opportunities are few and far between.

What do I do?

TheRealCallie said:
Do you think it would be different anywhere else?  What kind of job do you have?

You could always take some classes or something so that you aren't "unskilled."

I'd hope so. The job I had for 7years before this i worked with people my own age and it really helped to bring me out my shell. 

Its a storeman job I. E warehouse and customer service. Being over 25 any courses I would have to pay for and tbh I don't really know what I would want to do

Yeah, I suppose if the guy isn't your age, that would make conversation hard in some circumstances. What about a different shift...is that possible?

As for training, and I'm not sure where you are, but in America, if you go to the unemployment place, they usually have classes you can take cheaper, if they aren't free. You could also check into taking some open courseware classes, some of those are free or you could teach yourself. You won't get a job that requires a degree if you teach yourself, but I'd imagine you could find something.

TheRealCallie said:
Yeah, I suppose if the guy isn't your age, that would make conversation hard in some circumstances.  What about a different shift...is that possible?

As for training, and I'm not sure where you are, but in America, if you go to the unemployment place, they usually have classes you can take cheaper, if they aren't free. You could also check into taking some open courseware classes, some of those are free or you could teach yourself.  You won't get a job that requires a degree if you teach yourself, but I'd imagine you could find something.

Different shift isn't a possibility unfortunately.

Im in the U.K and by going from what you've stated we operate quite diffdifferently here.

Thanks for your time though, much appreciated

What type of work was your previous job? You hold your jobs for reasonably long time periods by the sound of it. If you could make a sensible change, what job would motivate you?

Is this colleague a talker? If so, try to learn what gets them talking. Most people that age love talking about their families, hobbies, etc. You don't necessarily need to find common ground, just something that will fill the silence, and most people will happily talk about themselves if given the chance.

If not, silence is a valid option. You don't always have to feel the need to initiate a conversation.

Celt said:
What type of work was your previous job? You hold your jobs for reasonably long time periods by the sound of it. If you could make a sensible change, what job would motivate you?

It was just a run of the of the mill retail job really, started when I was young and naive. I didn't enjoy it but had a good laugh with the staff there.

See that's the question, I've never been one to know my calling in life. I wouldn't mind something hands on like a gardening/landscaping job, although my knowledge/experience would be next to none

lifestream said:
Is this colleague a talker?  If so, try to learn what gets them talking.  Most people that age love talking about their families, hobbies, etc.  You don't necessarily need to find common ground, just something that will fill the silence, and most people will happily talk about themselves if given the chance.

If not, silence is a valid option.  You don't always have to feel the need to initiate a conversation.

They are to a degree. Just after the couple years we've worked together it seems we've had almost every conversation possible. I've lost count of the amount of times ive heard the same story. That where I feel if we had some common interests conversation would spark a bit more.

Silence just seems to have an awkward feel to it and it makes the day feel a lot longer. I don't know why but I feel my colleague gets annoyed with me and my lack of conversational prowess

Its not to late to learn. Go round the head offices of the reputable local contracting firms. You'll be starting at the bottom and learning skills by being with the trades. Some will let you do day release so you can get your paperwork but still have an income.

Celt said:
Its not to late to learn. Go round the head offices of the reputable local contracting firms. You'll be starting at the bottom and learning skills by being with the trades. Some will let you do day release so you can get your paperwork but still have an income.

A good idea, thank you

Latest posts

Back