Lonely because I like Trump

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkSelene said:
Does it still matter if their policies have nothing to do with their stance on the LGBT community, or does that completely dictate character?

I don't get that myself. Some folks would probably be surprised what I thought about certain things because I tend to go down the conservative route. I don't consider myself one or the other though. So, that's a good question.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
They can't get to Trump... but they can me.

See, that's what I don't understand with people. Dammit, it's not a fight, and it's certainly not personal. No one who really loves politics, or even their country, should want to not be in agreement with someone to the point where they treat it like a fight. I understand that some people feel so strongly about something, but it shouldn't be a reason to hate someone over it.
I don't follow, or know all that much about American politics, but I recall something said by an actor I very much cherish on the subject a while back. Kurt Russell stated, about his political inclinations "I was brought up as a Republican, but when I realized that at the end of the day there wasn't much difference between a Democrat and Republican, I became a Libertarian". Now, I don't know enough about Libertarians, or Dems and Reps for that matter, but I found it fascinating than an actor who always identified with "the average hard-working American" would have that view about politics. Especially since he always identified so much with one of his main characters, Snake Plissken, the "ultimate American badass and rebel" and his anti-hero stances. Yet he's always been quintessentially American in his thinking.

Anyways, I never got that entire "it's a war". It's not a war, it's a difference of opinion. 80+ years from now it's not like it'll matter anyway, I'm sure people yelled at each other and attacked each other over Roosevelt too, and they're all dead today. Well most of them lol.
I personally always found it fascinating to talk to people who have thoroughly different views from me. Helps someone grow to explore all sides of a question before answering it.

And that's the bottom line...because Richard said so! *drops the mic and walks away*
LOL ;-)

DarkSelene said:
reynard_muldrake said:
Anyway, as someone who's LGBT, I would prefer not to befriend someone who supports the GOP's stance on the LGBT community (as well as any marginalized community) or decides to overlook their views on the matter. Contrary to what most of you seem to think, not everyone has the ability to overlook differences in politics.

Does it still matter if their policies have nothing to do with their stance on the LGBT community, or does that completely dictate character?

Well, that would depend on what their policies were. If someone was level-headed and unafraid to criticize their own party, then I think a friendship could work. I don't always support or agree with members of my own political party, after all. And just to be clear, I would be okay if someone didn't want to associate with me because I was too "far left".

So basically you just dont want to be friends with people that disagree with your opinions.

Level-headed = Thinks what I think.

Ya?

kamya said:
So basically you just dont want to be friends with people that disagree with your opinions.

Level-headed = Thinks what I think.

Ya?

Why is it that every time I see a post devoid of nuance or common sense, your name is attached to it?

Explain the nuance for us plebs oh  righteous one.

To me your post reads as...

"They can believe different things as long as they disagree with their party on the things i think they should disagree with."

In my experience its the extreme right and left that can't seem to grasp nuance. You tried at least. Thanks for that. Full of substance that personal attack was. I'd be more intetested in an actual defense. I know it's not the common way for liberal types to handle disagreement but an attempt would have been appreciated.

I like Trump.
I think you mean you are feeling left out. But isn't it better than having false friends?

Politics, like also religion, is a sensitive topic to many people. People are in what I would call big 'subcultures'/groups. If you have an opinion, some like it, while others hate it.

I find it easier not to have a 'firm point of view' in these matters. And keep a bit of a distance from these matters. After all, how much do we know about politics anyway? Lots of hidden stuff and backroom dealings. I don't feel like I could trust politicians anyway. They all have their own agendas.

SilentLife said:
Politics, like also religion, is a sensitive topic to many people. People are in what I would call big 'subcultures'/groups. If you have an opinion, some like it, while others hate it.

I find it easier not to have a 'firm point of view' in these matters. And keep a bit of a distance from these matters. After all, how much do we know about politics anyway? Lots of hidden stuff and backroom dealings. I don't feel like I could trust politicians anyway. They all have their own agendas.

My thoughts exactly.
Sure, you can sort through trash and find a can worth 5 cents that'll get you a little bit more than you expected, but at the end of the day, you're still sorting through trash, no matter what other people call it.
I don't like Trump, but he's not better or worse than the plethora came before him. And the vast majority of them don't have the people's interest at heart, because planet Earth would be a whole helluva lot better place to live in, on the whole.

Richard_39 said:
SilentLife said:

My thoughts exactly.
Sure, you can sort through trash and find a can worth 5 cents that'll get you a little bit more than you expected, but at the end of the day, you're still sorting through trash, no matter what other people call it.
I don't like Trump, but he's not better or worse than the plethora came before him. And the vast majority of them don't have the people's interest at heart, because planet Earth would be a whole helluva lot better place to live in, on the whole.

I agree with the two above me mhmm. Good points. Ill share something i said elsewhere so that i hit the acceptable substance quota.

People without a side seem to get the most hate. Nothing bugs me more than that smug certainty that some people have that they are on a higher level of authority when it comes to morality and politics. Or the fake bs statements of compassion or sympathy for the people on the other side. Probably why i cant help myself when i see it.

My strongest opinion is probably on not having a strong opinion.

kamya said:
Richard_39 said:
SilentLife said:

My thoughts exactly.

I agree with the two above me mhmm. Good points. Ill share something i said elsewhere so that i hit the acceptable substance quota.

People without a side seem to get the most hate. Nothing bugs me more than that smug certainty that some people have that they are on a higher level of authority when it comes to morality and politics. Or the fake bs statements of compassion or sympathy for the people on the other side. Probably why i cant help myself when i see it.

Get out of my mind.... those were my thoughts exactly (except that last sentence). :p

kamya said:
[quote pid='847412' dateline='1501090625']

[/quote]

See, I disagree on that part, in the sense I don't think it has anything to do with the strenght of one's opinion.
I have nothing BUT strong opinions lol. I'm not much one to be plagued by wonders and doubts and what else, I feel very comfortable in what I think.
Where I think the real differenceis, and also a symptom of the problems we face in this time period of Earth; I'm NOT arrogant enough to think I'm always right, or to assume the man who has an utterly different opinion than mine is a moron, which seems to be growing into the default stance. My main place of predilection is facebook; when I see Trump supporters and "un-Trump supporters" (I don't know what to call them lol) duke it out, it's like kindergarden 101. I mean, I remain convince Donald Trump is an utter moron who can barely set foot in front of the other lol, but I RESPECT and appreciate the fact that someone else thinks entirely differently. And I'll enjoy hearing about it. Could that person let me in on a little known fact that might sway my opinion? But of course, you can never talk too much about something. As long as HE, on the other hand, is able to understand that I do not share his opinion, yet still not treat me like I'm a moron.

In short, I think it's a question of manners. That's something we pretty much shot in the 21st century. We decided somewhere along the line, that manners were no longer useful and we teach to our kids to be arrogant and mean kids. Then we're all shocked and surprised they turn into arrogant and mean adults lol. We forgot to teach them the art of Discourse. Which is a lost art. Hell, five minutes looking at political debate channels lets you see it plain as day, no one can discourse anymore without flipping off someone lol. People see it as a war.

That being said, not having a strong opinion, or no opinion at all, is also an opinion. In fact, I recall it was George Carlin's favorite stance :)

Now go ahead. Take down my strong opinion :p

I think the key about opinions, debates, etc,... Well, there are various keys.

One thing is to actually KNOW something about the matter in hand. The problem with many people is that they have strong opinions, but don't actually know jack. They only believe in some rumours or propaganda somebody has told somewhere, and haven't checked, how trustworthy the source is.

Personally I think it is important to divide a line between what you actually do know and what you... just guess. I admit I don't know many things, but I refuse to believe what many people say, because I feel that what they say is contradicting and/or lacks depth.

Other issue is INSECURITY. People need to feel they feel to belong somewhere, and then emotionally defend their beliefs. This is why debates get heated and as Richard mentions, people lose manners. Because people believe that the matter of their opinions and views is a matter of life and death. But it is not. Opinion is not an 'identity' that you need to defend it till death. You can easily change your opinion if further evidence comes to the fore.

This is what I call an open mind. You are open to new opinions if these opinions have a stronger argument supporting it. Instead of just angrily refusing discussion.

Richard_39 said:
kamya said:
[quote pid='847412' dateline='1501090625']

See, I disagree on that part, in the sense I don't think it has anything to do with the strenght of one's opinion.
I have nothing BUT strong opinions lol. I'm not much one to be plagued by wonders and doubts and what else, I feel very comfortable in what I think.
Where I think the real differenceis, and also a symptom of the problems we face in this time period of Earth; I'm NOT arrogant enough to think I'm always right, or to assume the man who has an utterly different opinion than mine is a moron, which seems to be growing into the default stance. My main place of predilection is facebook; when I see Trump supporters and "un-Trump supporters" (I don't know what to call them lol) duke it out, it's like kindergarden 101. I mean, I remain convince Donald Trump is an utter moron who can barely set foot in front of the other lol, but I RESPECT and appreciate the fact that someone else thinks entirely differently. And I'll enjoy hearing about it. Could that person let me in on a little known fact that might sway my opinion? But of course, you can never talk too much about something. As long as HE, on the other hand, is able to understand that I do not share his opinion, yet still not treat me like I'm a moron.

In short, I think it's a question of manners. That's something we pretty much shot in the 21st century. We decided somewhere along the line, that manners were no longer useful and we teach to our kids to be arrogant and mean kids. Then we're all shocked and surprised they turn into arrogant and mean adults lol. We forgot to teach them the art of Discourse. Which is a lost art. Hell, five minutes looking at political debate channels lets you see it plain as day, no one can discourse anymore without flipping off someone lol. People see it as a war.

That being said, not having a strong opinion, or no opinion at all, is also an opinion. In fact, I recall it was George Carlin's favorite stance :)

Now go ahead. Take down my strong opinion :p
[/quote]

Nope. You're right imo. I agree with that.

It's weird. I am going to pile some honeysuckle on Americans in this post, but please do not take it personally...

I am an Australian citizen. I am not American. So far, so good.

Americans need to understand what it is like to be NOT American. Whether the POTUS is Trump, Obama, Mickey Mouse, Fred Flintstone, Reagan.... Thiis is a person that we have not voted for. This is the leader of the free world. I am in Sydney. Why should my future be held up by some recount of ballots in Florida (Dubya election)?

So yes, we get a bit snarky about Trump. And that creature that lives in his hair.

TheLoadedDog said:
It's weird.  I am going to pile some honeysuckle on Americans in this post, but please do not take it personally...

I am an Australian citizen.  I am not American.  So far, so good.

Americans need to understand what it is like to be NOT American.  Whether the POTUS is Trump, Obama, Mickey Mouse, Fred Flintstone, Reagan....   Thiis is a person that we have not voted for.  This is the leader of the free world.  I am in Sydney.   Why should my future be held up by some recount of ballots in Florida (Dubya election)?

So yes, we get a bit snarky about Trump.  And that creature that lives in his hair.

Does it REALLY affect you though? If you had no outside news of anything going on outside of Australia for the past few years would you even have noticed a difference between before trump vs after?

The only thing I really see is the news trying to whip people into a frenzy and make them nervous and anxious when in reality, for the most part, not much has changed.

One thing: For me you can be a Trump supporter as long as you aren't a racist. I can't be friends with racists. I just can't.

I still don't understand why people whine and ***** about this honeysuckle. The American people didn't put him in office, the electoral college did. Clinton actually won the population vote. So yeah, it doesn't matter WHO everyone voted for because it didn't do anything to elect the president.
With that said, he IS the president now and he's likely going to stay that way for a while, so get over it, accept it. Things would be just as bad if Clinton was president. Or if Obama was still president. Doesn't really matter who sits in the oval office, they will fresia up at some point. Some will hate them, some will love them. It's always the **** same.

Latest posts

Back