What is Contentment to You?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyless

Reaction score
What set of conditions do you think would bring you a feeling of contentment in your life right now?

I need time, which means need money. I think financial stability would give me the clarity to go for a better planification and search for what I need in life. The rest is up to me.

Xpendable said:
I need time, which means  need money. I think financial stability would give me the clarity to go for a better planification and search for what I need in life. The rest is up to me.

There is no arguing that money makes a great deal of things easier; but say you had all the money you needed to have all the time and stability you feel you require right now. What do you think you would be searching for then?

Skyless said:
Xpendable said:
I need time, which means  need money. I think financial stability would give me the clarity to go for a better planification and search for what I need in life. The rest is up to me.

There is no arguing that money makes a great deal of things easier; but say you had all the money you needed to have all the time and stability you feel you require right now. What do you think you would be searching for then?

Develop my passions, dedicating myself to hobbies and managing my life. Having my own, modest home, stablishing my career and planing for the future. I could have time (and the money) to go out more and travel to another country. I could have time to attend a gym and actually afford a diet correctly or even buy the machines and exercise home. I could buy and learn to play more instruments, learn more languages, buy and read more books and take care of my appearance with calm. So basically everything I need and therefor, happiness.

Not excessive wealth but just enough to allow for a couple of interests and the occasional trip.

Able to get more than 4-5 hours sleep.

Possibility of a relationship; not being considered a creep or a threat by default, at least normal looking and not awkward. No dark family background, not having to feel ashamed of my existence(different father, anyone else)

Okay that just sounds like a list of complaints...

If I could recluse myself at work, and find social outlooks in other places.

Xpendable said:
Skyless said:
Xpendable said:

Develop my passions, dedicating myself to hobbies and managing my life. Having my own, modest home, stablishing my career and planing for the future. I could have time (and the money) to go out more and travel to another country. I could have time to attend a gym and actually afford a diet correctly or even buy the machines and exercise home. I could buy and learn to play more instruments, learn more languages, buy and read more books and take care of my appearance with calm. So basically everything I need and therefor, happiness.

That sounds pretty good :) I can see why you would describe it as your contentment. I'm trying to picture what taking care of one's appearance with "urgency" looks like now hehe ;) But I think I know what you mean :p

I get the importance on focusing on the job/money front right now, but at least a few of the things on your list don't sound completely mutually exclusive with that kind of drive, don't take that away from yourself, if you see an opening when you can at least :)

I hope all the efforts you are putting into getting closer to this, get rewarded in spades, all the lucks! :)

ardour said:
Not excessive wealth but just enough to allow for a couple of interests and the occasional trip.

Able to get more than 4-5 hours sleep.

Possibility of a relationship; not being considered a creep or a threat by default,  at least normal looking and not awkward.  No dark family background, not having to feel ashamed of my existence(different father, anyone else)

Okay that just sounds like a list of complaints...

Haha, maybe a little bit :p but I hear ya,

So you certainly know what you don't want and you list some of the barriers, but what is it that you actually do want? In essence what would create a real contentment for you with all the thorns removed? What are these interests that you would pursue or would like to? Where would you go on some of these trips? What would you expect in a relationship aside from just having one? How would you imagine not carrying this original sin level of shame actually feels like and how would you imagine it would effect the other aspects above?

Nicolelt said:
If I could recluse myself at work, and find social outlooks in other places.

Has work become an all consuming social hub for you Nicole?

[img=533x400]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1015650/office-space-cubicle-o.gif[/img]

I am relatively content at the moment, but if I knew that a bottom line of security and stability was guaranteed even for the next 50-60 years I'd certainly be more content. Since that's unlikely to happen...it would be nice to effectively hone my skills and get excellent at something which I can ideally turn it into a profit many years down the line to ensure my survival. Oh yeah, and more insight into the human condition would be helpful so I don't go insane.

Rodent said:
I am relatively content at the moment, but if I knew that a bottom line of security and stability was guaranteed even for the next 50-60 years I'd certainly be more content. Since that's unlikely to happen...it would be nice to effectively hone my skills and get excellent at something which I can ideally turn it into a profit many years down the line to ensure my survival. Oh yeah, and more insight into the human condition would be helpful so I don't go insane.

I hear ya, I wonder if that level of security and stability has ever been completely and truly guaranteed to anyone. Seems like the most certain thing out there is uncertainty :p I'm working on that too on multiple fronts and diversifying skills and knowledge as well, although I can't actually remember a time when I wasn't doing that lol, and knowing me, I don't think I will ever stop, but maybe that's what it takes nowadays.

Haha are you totally convinced that really fully understanding the human condition will be a boon to the cause of sanity? :p ;)

Skyless said:
Haha are you totally convinced that really fully understanding the human condition will be a boon to the cause of sanity? :p ;)

I truly believe that...I can deal with a certain amount of plain absurdity and the unknown by laughing it off, but I think I've reached the point where I'm better off knowing even uncomfortable truths, so I end up in fewer situations that just leave me perplexed and petrified. I'd prioritize this understanding over a skin-deep happiness any given day.

Rodent said:
Skyless said:

I truly believe that...I can deal with a certain amount of plain absurdity and the unknown by laughing it off, but I think I've reached the point where I'm better off knowing even uncomfortable truths, so I end up in fewer situations that just leave me perplexed and petrified. I'd prioritize this understanding over a skin-deep happiness any given day.

Haha good, it's the uncomfortable truths that actually have something to teach, it's what makes them uncomfortable in the first place :) Otherwise it's just a bunch of internal backslapping drenched in sweet sweet nievety sauce :)  ... I probably shouldn't write these when I'm hungry :p

Inmyhead said:
Skyless said:
What set of conditions do you think would bring you a feeling of contentment in your life right now?

Peace of mind

What would you say would create a state of "peace of mind" for you, I know people whose lives I would concider chaotic who feel more at peace than anyone I have ever met, what does peace of mind mean to you Inmyhead?

Skyless said:
Inmyhead said:
Skyless said:

Peace of mind

What would you say would create a state of "peace of mind" for you, I know people whose lives I would concider chaotic who feel more at peace than anyone I have ever met, what does peace of

mind mean to you Inmyhead?

Peace of mind would be knowing those I love will be okay. Knowing I will be okay. Acceptance in knowing I've done my best. Accepting myself for who am I as a person. :)

Inmyhead said:
Skyless said:
Inmyhead said:
Skyless said:

Peace of mind

What would you say would create a state of "peace of mind" for you, I know people whose lives I would concider chaotic who feel more at peace than anyone I have ever met, what does peace of

mind mean to you Inmyhead?

Peace of mind would be knowing those I love will be okay. Knowing I will be okay. Acceptance in knowing I've done my best. Accepting myself for who am I as a person. :)

Hehe, you can start on a few of those right now :) That sounds really good, I hope you can work for and find all of that in your life Inmyhead :)

Not having problems which are pressing. Freedom from needing to pay too much attention to money, work, health, family, or social networks.

Latest posts

Back