Meeting friends through dating sites.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixiePalace

Reaction score
I've read a lot of articles on how to make friends, and one suggestion I see come up a lot is using dating websites. I kind of want to try it, but I feel hesitant. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

PixiePalace said:
I've read a lot of articles on how to make friends, and one suggestion I see come up a lot is using dating websites. I kind of want to try it, but I feel hesitant. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

They aren't places to meet friends. Even if someone says they're just looking for friends, there's a good chance that's something they say to avoid being pressured into going out with someone they aren't interested in. Or even worse, they say that because they DONT KNOW what they want. 
I did the sites for around three years I think.

EveWasFramed said:
PixiePalace said:

They aren't places to meet friends. Even if someone says they're just looking for friends, there's a good chance that's something they say to avoid being pressured into going out with someone they aren't interested in. Or even worse, they say that because they DONT KNOW what they want. 

I see. Thank you for your input. Maybe it would be best if I avoid using dating sites for such things.

EveWasFramed said:
PixiePalace said:

^

Yup this is very much what you can expect there.

Try Meetup.com, it's fairly easy to make friends with similar interests through that depending on where you live, without as much hidden agendas to deal with as dating sites :)

Skyless said:
EveWasFramed said:
PixiePalace said:

^

Try Meetup.com, it's fairly easy to make friends with similar interests through that depending on where you live, without as much hidden agendas to deal with as dating sites :)

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll try it out. :)

PixiePalace said:
Skyless said:
EveWasFramed said:
PixiePalace said:

^

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll try it out. :)

You're very welcome, have fun out there :)

I wouldn't do it and would expect everyone to be thinking "friends-first". Which becomes awkward when you're really not interested in them and they're waiting for something more to happen.

I met ONE friend through online dating, that I am still friends with over 5 years later, but just as Tea^ points out above, we had to go through a lot of awkward strains of exactly the "She's not interested, I want more, can't read each other" stuff first.

Luckily, she was understanding enough to work through it and it became fun even though it was platonic. I like her as a friend, but the deeper I delved about her family, personal views on society, family, relationships, (and even though I think she's quite attractive, still), there is no way in hell something serious ever could've worked.

This is the benefit though of meeting people who know how to discuss; even when you disagree THAT much, hey, imagine that, you can still even be friends! Communication is great.

That used to work several years back, but it doesn't anymore. People are too shallow these days. I mean, we have Tinder ffs...People don't even have to interact and reject and say no anymore. They just swipe left and let a computer generated algorithm do it for them before a conversation even gets going.  :rolleyes: What I mean is...if I'm looking to make friends, I'm probably not really going to find friendships on dating and hookup sites and applications because the predominate reason why people are on dating sites and hookup sites in the first place is pretty much entirely for shallow and selfish reasons. I mean, I could make a shallow and selfish friend that way...bbbuuutttt that's a dime a dozen scenario from Hell, and you're gonna have a bad time (South Park reference). I mean I can't really tell you what the answer is for you, because what works for me probably won't work for other people, but I find friends either at/through work, or through common interests and/or discussions of common interests either online or (admittedly) though very rarely these days, at a bar, after I've had a couple drinks, and someone approaches me for some reason instead.

If you're looking to make friends with the opposite sex just for like inquiry purposes as to how they think, just relax and be yourself and talk to them normally and respectfully. Keep the conversation engaging and interesting. If you're looking to do it for ulterior motive, it doesn't quite work like that. But if you wanna meet people just to meet people? That's totally fine. You won't seem awkward or threatening if you aren't acting awkward or threatening. Don't open mouth, insert foot, because nobody likes that. If you do, don't beat yourself up over it because it can (and will) happen, and then you just try again and try NOT to do that the next time.

Latest posts

Back