Famous people who hate their parents?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augusto

Reaction score
Do you know some famous people who hate their parents? I'm looking for role models.

TheRealCallie said:
I'm not so sure hatred is something to aspire to.  Perhaps find someone who overcome hatred and moved on from their problems?

You seem to never have serious issues within the family. If you do, you'd know how hard is it to find resources which don't blame young generation for everything.

Augusto said:
TheRealCallie said:
I'm not so sure hatred is something to aspire to.  Perhaps find someone who overcome hatred and moved on from their problems?

You seem to never have serious issues within the family. If you do, you'd know how hard is it to find resources which don't blame young generation for everything.

I wouldn't assume that just because she doesn't put her personal stuff out here, that she doesn't have troubles of her own. Most people do - just not everyone chooses to speak of it. And she makes a very good point about it not being productive to aspire to hatred. 
How can you ever overcome the issue/hatred if that's all you're focused on? Shouldn't that be the goal? Overcoming and moving forward?

EveWasFramed said:
Augusto said:
TheRealCallie said:

I wouldn't assume that just because she doesn't put her personal stuff out here, that she doesn't have troubles of her own. Most people do - just not everyone chooses to speak of it. And she makes a very good point about it not being productive to aspire to hatred. 
How can you ever overcome the issue/hatred if that's all you're focused on? Shouldn't that be the goal? Overcoming and moving forward?

I have single goal in this case - somehow to find a way how to distract myself from this dysfunctional family on emotional level, and move forward. I wish I know how it can be done, as most of people assume that younger generation has a duty to be cheerful and loyal to their parents no matter what happens. Not an easy mission...

Anyway, despite the comment by TheRealCallie I found some examples:
Abe Lincoln had so terrible relationships with his father, that he refused to see him when father was old and sick, and then also refused to visit the funeral. I like this example, as Lincoln is considered one of the greatest people ho 19th century.
Second example is Hitler who also had that bad relationships with father, that he unlikely was upset by his early death. With mother his relationships likely were also far from perfect. In case of personal achievements, this example is also not that bad.

Don't hate you're parents, put your energy in creating some distance from them instead, that would be a more productive use of your energy and time

MisterLonely said:
Don't hate you're parents, put your energy in creating some distance from them instead, that would be a more productive use of your energy and time

Thanks, but I'm already doing this.
This is a good advice, but I want to find some role models of people who had similar situation in their lives, and biographies of famous people are often good for role models, exactly because of their achievements.

Augusto said:
TheRealCallie said:

Lol, no serious issues?  You'd be wrong about that.  I just refuse to live my life in hatred.  What does it solve?  Does it make your live better? No, it doesn't.  What has happened is in the past.  What happens in the present and the future I (will) deal with and move on.  

Don't judge a person based on one sentence, you will, almost always, be wrong.

Augusto said:
EveWasFramed said:
Augusto said:
TheRealCallie said:

I have single goal in this case - somehow to find a way how to distract myself from this dysfunctional family on emotional level, and move forward. I wish I know how it can be done, as most of people assume that younger generation has a duty to be cheerful and loyal to their parents no matter what happens. Not an easy mission...

How does hatred help you if that is what you want?  

Augusto said:
Anyway, despite the comment by TheRealCallie I found some examples:
Abe Lincoln had so terrible relationships with his father, that he refused to see him when father was old and sick, and then also refused to visit the funeral. I like this example, as Lincoln is considered one of the greatest people ho 19th century.
Second example is Hitler who also had that bad relationships with father, that he unlikely was upset by his early death. With mother his relationships likely were also far from perfect. In case of personal achievements, this example is also not that bad.

Seriously, you want Hitler as a role model?  Wow.....

Not trying to be snarky or anything (but probably doing it anyway) the famous group with the most family issues would be serial killers.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant the ideal scenario of people who hated (past tense) their parents, but turned into high achievers either way and effectively freed themselves from the hatred or a desire for parental approval.

I did a bit of googling and I ended up with Alfred Kinsey, Paul Cezanne and Isaac Newton who all had at least a strenous relationship with one of their parents. It's not surprising that it's quite difficult to come up with infos on the parental relationship of historical figures, it's not something that enters the books. Easier to find modern day celebrities who are known for being in conflict with their parents but once you look them up you probably don't want to identity with them anymore.

It's actually hard to find people who had a seriously bad parental relationship and turned into high-achieving and reasonable human beings with no quirks or unhealthy behaviors (see DarkSelene's reference to serial killers).

PS: Arguably Hitler is more than just a "controversial figure", but judged purely by the scale of his impact on history he has to be deemed relevant.

Rodent said:
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant the ideal scenario of people who hated (past tense) their parents, but turned into high achievers either way and effectively freed themselves from the hatred or a desire for parental approval.

I did a bit of googling and I ended up with Alfred Kinsey, Paul Cezanne and Isaac Newton who all had at least a strenous relationship with one of their parents. It's not surprising that it's quite difficult to come up with infos on the parental relationship of historical figures, it's not something that enters the books. Easier to find modern day celebrities who are known for being in conflict with their parents but once you look them up you probably don't want to identity with them anymore.

It's actually hard to find people who had a seriously bad parental relationship and turned into high-achieving and reasonable human beings with no quirks or unhealthy behaviors (see DarkSelene's reference to serial killers).

PS: Arguably Hitler is more than just a "controversial figure", but judged purely by the scale of his impact on history he has to be deemed relevant.

Yes, your assumption is right. I said it in the present in order not to ignore people who are now in this situation and yet they achieved a lot already.

Not celebrities though, as their successes had never been around what I value. It's not that I think bad about their qualities, but just a different way.

And yeah, I heard about Kinsey too. That's sad it's hard to find such things, book on this topic could be an interesting one, for sure.

"Unhealthy behavior" may vary :) Many successful people without parents-related problems also have it.

Augusto said:
"Unhealthy behavior" may vary :) Many successful people without parents-related problems also have it.

Certainly, it is just one factor of many but I have no doubt it is an important one during child development. Especially in the early years when kids aren't exposed as much to their peers yet and learn to socially interact with a wider environment.

Rodent said:
Augusto said:

Certainly, it is just one factor of many but I have no doubt it is an important one during child development. Especially in the early years when kids aren't exposed as much to their peers yet and learn to socially interact with a wider environment.

Agree, but tensions with parents may occur much later, say during teens, when a person adopts set of values totally opposite to one their parents have, and the latter start to push against it by any means, without any desire to compromise. So as a result there will be hatred within family, but no early childhood trauma.

What problems are you having with your parents?
Robert Frost had a strict, ill tempered and abusive father but I think he feared his father more than he hated him.

Wordy said:
What problems are you having with your parents?
Robert Frost had a strict,  ill tempered and abusive father but I think he feared his father more than he hated him.

It's too long topic to discuss here, but very briefly whatever I do, if they know about it - they do everything to change it in the way they like, including emotional blackmailing, scandals and so on.
We also have contradicting sets of values and ideals.

Augusto said:
Rodent said:
Augusto said:

Agree, but tensions with parents may occur much later, say during teens, when a person adopts set of values totally opposite to one their parents have, and the latter start to push against it by any means, without any desire to compromise. So as a result there will be hatred within family, but no early childhood trauma.

Of course, by this time they are even further influenced by their peer group. Suffice to say a lot of tension happens in puberty when young adults start to form their own identity and aim for more independence. But I wasn't even talking about actual childhood trauma here and at that age conflicts about values can't even occur yet. This was more about shaping mentality early on, providing the proper balance between compassion and rule enforcement. That's going off topic though and I think you get the idea already...

It's really gone offtopic. Well, at least I have examples of Hitler, Lincoln and Kinsey , much better than zero.
Thanks everybody who participated!

Latest posts

Back