Rejected by parents?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditakelly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've been going through a difficult patch lately, I've been trying to escape a deeply abusive relationship and finally I have been offered a Housing Association flat, this is excellent news, however the flat wont be ready for a few months and so I'm stuck with my abuser and he's really ramping it up, being very controlling, because he knows I am gaining confidence and leaving soon.

Anyway, my escape has taken around nine months to get the flat, I was homeless and living in my car for a time and throughout the whole ordeal my parents just never lifted a finger to help me. There were times when I was was terrified for my life from my abuser and even one time when a man tried to break into my car in the middle of the night (he didn't realise I was sleeping in it and got the fright of his life when I started screaming!!!). Through all this time I begged my parents to let me stay in their spare room, but nothing but rejection! Even when the man broke into the car, I drove through the night in a state of fear (london-manchester) after the incident, only to be turned away by my parents.

My mother has spent her whole life abused and controlled by my father and so understands what I experience on an emotional level, but unlike me she learnt to be the victim for the 35 years of her marriage and when I call her for support she mostly just tells me to put up and take it, unfortunately I have a strong survival/fighter instinct and so stand up to abuse.

My father has literally no interest in any aspect of my life anyway and it was him that flatly refuses to help or even speak to me on the phone.

This actually is not the first time I have been homeless, I ran away from home at 16 due to the bad childhood, father abusing mother/father neglecting me/ mother to wrapped up in the domestic situation. I survived at 16, so obviously I can survive at 35!

However, over the years, I made effort to build a relationship with them, I really wanted to be loved, but it was always one sided (I always made the phone calls, I always sent the first text), I got an education and worked in interesting jobs, but there was always the sense that they just were not really interested, I swear they don't even really know what I am qualified to do. I even recently qualified as an adult education teacher and I swear they don't even believe that I am one!

This was no different when I was at school, I was a straight grade A student, so they just stopped attending parents evening, uninterested. They never attended school plays even though I was a promising performer.

Anyway today I begged my mother to let me stay just until my new flat is ready (otherwise I stay in the abuse or sleep in the car) and again my mother said no, it would cause too much abuse from my father for even asking. 

Its so painful to be rejected, inside I feel like a little kid who's parents just abandon them, I know most parents would never let their child (no matter how old) go through this.

Anyway, if you managed to get through all that - well done! Its been a bit of a monologue!!!  

I wondered if anyone else has had to let relationships go with family members or been rejected by parents, how have you handled it? I am grateful for all comments (but I do respectfully ask, that if you only have negative stuff to throw in my direction, please don't bother, I get enough of that from my ex boyfriend, cheers)

Thanks

Hey Ditakelly,

My parents were great in my childhood upuntill about age 10, when my mother started having mental problems and after divorcing my father I lost contact with him, but I know today I could knock on either one off their frontdoors and be welcome and warm for however long is needed..

I'm not going to assume you are like me without a friend in the world, and thus suggest seeing if you can stay at anyone elses place for the remaining two months, but if that happens to be the case that you have no friends to call on that is of little use. I would think a metropolitan as London has shelter/safe houses for the abused, if all else fails you could try looking into that.

It seems you are in a realy tough and difficult situation that has lasted years, the good thing is that you are very very close to getting out, and I would plead with you to hang in there just a little longer knowing the end is in sight!

Wow, I'm so sorry you have to go through this... I won't say I've been rejected by my parents but I've definitely suffered mentally and socially because of them and their relationship with each other and the outside world. If you'd ever like to talk PM me. :)

Hi, 
Well I'm not going to lie, that dosen't sound like fun. 
Hopefully you can find somewhere to stay for the next few weeks. Hostels can be ok as you at least meet some people, relatively in expensive and you can leave whenever you want?
I was pushed out of my family a long time ago, and I understand your attempts to "be a good kid" or fit in somehow in order to win some form of approval/love. 
Unfortunately this never really works and you are left somewhere between a scared little kid and hurt, angry and irrational human. 
I dont have any magical fix for this by the way, just thought I would let you know you are not the only one. 

My attempt to "fix" myself have taken me to the end of the world running away and moving through many many stupid toxic relationships. Over the last 15 years . . .  I am now 22000kms from where this started out and I bet my parents could not tell yo which country I live in? (I have told them, but i dont get much acknowledgement) 
My counselors have trained me to think of my self as the normal one, understandably hurt, angry, lonely, upset, etc. but to think of my parents as people who did not do their job (blamelessly) as they lack basic empathy for their child. 
I can say this though. You deal with this you are strong enough for anything. I would recommend building your self a safety net financially if possible as "family comes fist" with your friends too, so you will one day need to use all the tools you got to help yourself again. 
Stay strong. Stop crying and look for solutions to your immediate situation. :)

Ditakelly, some people should not have children. I think I have responded to a similar post (or at least planned to) but I'll cheer for you again if so :p GRATZ to getting away! Stay strong, you're doing great, though I hope you'll find a physical home as much as a mental home ^_^

Latest posts

Back