How have you made time for yourself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How have you made time for yourself and has it helped? How long did you keep up with it?

I often feel I'm overwhelmed and have no time to do anything at all. Thanks for the responses.

Making time for myself is black magic to me.

Wake up. Go to work. Work. Go home. Dinner. Chores/Errands. Try to work on life improvement junk...And... it's time to get ready for bed. Get ready for bed. Sleep. Wake up.

Somewhere between all that, I get half an hour of just being able to think to myself in and then I'm too exhausted (physically *and* mentally) to do anything else. I never feel as though I am truly relaxed. 

On the weekends, it's no different, just replace time wasted at work with chores and errands.

Once in a blue moon, on the weekends, I am able to squeeze in some time to myself. The half hour I spent drawing the weekend before last? It felt as though I could actually breathe since a very long time. 

It's a long weekend here. As usual, when I have "extra time", I make plans, but they're always thwarted by something (or someone).

I used to study a lot of topics that interested me, and made obligations to stick with them. I wanted to be productive and feel better about my life through my hobbies, but I actually overloaded myself. I wanted to write daily, and get something published. Study a language, and practice it. Work on fitness, and self-esteem. Start meditation. Read more books... just a huge, long, messy list of scheduling and obligation that I wasn't even getting paid for.

So I cut it down to gaming and teaching myself a new instrument. Everything else whenever I feel like it. Gym if I can. No achievement-seeking. Just relaxation.

Like many off you I too have a routine of work - eat - sleep and repeat, however I do seem to be able to get some time in for myself, probably allot more than most! For me it's not a matter of needing to make the time just a matter of how to allocate the time I have, lately I've been allocating time that would previously be spend sleeping to being online.... It's a slippery slope, and I need to watch I don't forget to do the things that need doing!

deaddemosthenes said:
How have you made time for yourself and has it helped? How long did you keep up with it?

I often feel I'm overwhelmed and have no time to do anything at all. Thanks for the responses.
And thanks for making time for everyone on here,  cal

Tealeaf said:
I used to study a lot of topics that interested me, and made obligations to stick with them. I wanted to be productive and feel better about my life through my hobbies, but I actually overloaded myself. I wanted to write daily, and get something published. Study a language, and practice it. Work on fitness, and self-esteem. Start meditation. Read more books... just a huge, long, messy list of scheduling and obligation that I wasn't even getting paid for.

So I cut it down to gaming and teaching myself a new instrument. Everything else whenever I feel like it. Gym if I can. No achievement-seeking. Just relaxation.

Oh man, this is me in a nutshell.

I had a long weekend because of a provincial holiday. I did a lot of cleaning and organizing, but I also spent quite a bit of time playing video games. And I'll be damned if I don't say that I felt 5% better.

Unfortunately, I had to go back to work today, and yes, I am not happy. Guess what I'll be doing a bit of tonight.

BeyondShy said:
I make time for myself every single day without fail.

How do you do this? do you have a quota of time to yourself? or a certain hour you reserve? I am failing at this

TheSkaFish said:
I try to go for a walk or bike ride every day, weather permitting.  It lets me unwind.

That's what I try to do to. Most the time i either have to do it on my lunch break or not at all. I noticed your name? You like Ska, I take it?

constant stranger said:
Yes I make time for myself, I need to in order to stay sane.  Or as close to sane as I ever get.

Exactly haha. I'm not sure I'll keep hold of my little bit of sanity I have left, if I don't get a break soon.

deaddemosthenes said:

TheSkaFish said:
I try to go for a walk or bike ride every day, weather permitting.  It lets me unwind.

That's what I try to do to. Most the time i either have to do it on my lunch break or not at all. I noticed your name? You like Ska, I take it?

Yeah, I do though I have been listening to other things a lot lately.  Do you like ska as well?  What are some of your favorite bands in the genre?

I find scheduling helps. I know, it's boring coming up with a schedule and sticking by it, but if you can follow it to the letter, and plan ahead some time for yourself, you can get quite a lot done in a short amount of time. Setting deadlines for yourself is something else that helps, and can even help you get things done early if done right, but don't forget not to overwhelm yourself.

Latest posts

Back