Schoolmates making fun of me because I'm quiet and alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHD

Reaction score
Some schoolmates are making fun of me, because I'm quiet and alone (and probably I also don't look confident). Why are they making fun of me? No idea to be honest, I didn't do or say anything bad to anyone, probably I'm easy target. Beside that, they also tell others that I'm strange and socially awkward, which makes me a bit angry, they sow hate on me. I don't think I have any friends here in school, I have enemies that I hate less than others, so maybe 2-4 people that aren't 'against' me. I also don't have any other friends, brothers or sisters, no one to talk to, so yeah I'm pretty quiet all the time. I'm not really sad/angry that I don't have friends, I just hate that other people spread hate on me because I'm a little different than 'cool kids'. I don't smoke, vape or do drugs like some others, I usually don't play fancy  new games, mostly chess on phone and so on. i'm a bit skinny so I joined the gym and some people are laughinh at this too. I heard many bad things talking about me, but I'm very sure they make fun of me when I'm not near too.

Sounds like you must be in high school so being quiet and alone has a huge stigma. Also seems like you focus too much on hate and enemies. I was more of the quiet type in high school and shy, didn't do drugs, smoke, play sports, was short and skinny, got bullied but made friends. Have you made any attempt to make friends?

Kids can be so cruel. I mostly endured high school; I had a few friends, most were more like acquaintances. People just like to make friends by finding an easy target to pick on and bond by making fun of someone together. Kinda hypocritical, but that is how it usually goes. I am just glad that it is over.

that sucks MHD I'm sorry to hear that, screw them. School can really suck and it can feel like it lasts forever but trust me it doesn't. I was really pretty lonely in high school and didn't have any friends either. But it's good that you don't do drugs and it's great that you joined a gym, work out endorphins are great. Try to focus on your academic studies and schoolwork and keep going to the gym and see if they have any group exercise classes you could join in. Try to keep busy with some good music and good books. You'll get through this eventually, till then hang in there.

Remember we're all in this together and I'm pulling for you *hugs* :)

It gets better after school. You just need to focus day-to-day on making it through. School sucked bad for many people, including me. But I survived. You can too.

Thank you everyone for positive replies. Yes I'm in high school, 6 months now. Words don't really hurt me much, but if I ignore everything I look even more lonely, quiet, shy and easy to bully. I'm pretty tall, but a bit skinny and my weakness are social skills and sometimes I don't know what to say. I like the school I'm in, it's about computer science, but I hate the class and I don't know anyone except one person who was my schoolmate in primary school, but he turned agaisnt me, he is much more communicative and now he became friends with people that I call "the bad guys", bringing marijuana, knives and some drugs i don't know to school. That's why I don't want to be friend with him because I don't want any trouble. It's hard to make friends when someone makes fun of you in front of whole class and you see that even people I thought were ok to me laugh too. It kills my motivatio, I'm bothering more with social problems than with school (I don't have problems in school (grades) but I could do better with more motivation)).

Teenagers can be fickle, there is this crazy sense of hierarchy and wanting to belong and reject anything that they can't comprehend or doesn't seem to fit into what they think is "normal". When I started high school I didn't know what to do, I mostly just wanted to be left alone but that didn't happen. Kids I went to elementary school with still bullied me and so did their new friends. There was nothing done about bullying when I was in high school, that didn't start until my last year where there was more of a focus put on it. My first year I had only one friend who seemingly vanished next year. He changed a lot. I only had my brother unfortunately, you might think that's a good thing but we both got picked on and hanging around together didn't help the bullying at all it only made it worse. Got to know a couple girls who were a year older and were in the same locker bay as me, but they were off and on. They had their moods. It wasn't until my third year where I started to open up more and just be who I am and somehow started to make more friends. It took a few years but things got better and my last few years of high school were a lot of fun, sometimes filled with drama but that just comes with the territory when you're a teenager, everything is drama.

Not sure if that little story helps at all but just be who you are and don't try to change to fit in or be accepted. You don't want to be like your one friend there who has gotten mixed up with the wrong type of people. Just hang in there and hopefully things will get better for you. You could always try joining a club at school or something. If you're going to make friends you want them to be your friends because of the person you really are and not some put on to fit in somewhere.

Sci-Fi said:
Teenagers can be fickle, there is this crazy sense of hierarchy and wanting to belong and reject anything that they can't comprehend or doesn't seem to fit into what they think is "normal".  When I started high school I didn't know what to do, I mostly just wanted to be left alone but that didn't happen.  Kids I went to elementary school with still bullied me and so did their new friends.  There was nothing done about bullying when I was in high school, that didn't start until my last year where there was more of a focus put on it.  My first year I had only one friend who seemingly vanished next year.  He changed a lot.  I only had my brother unfortunately, you might think that's a good thing but we both got picked on and hanging around together didn't help the bullying at all it only made it worse.  Got to know a couple girls who were a year older and were in the same locker bay as me, but they were off and on.  They had their moods.  It wasn't until my third year where I started to open up more and just be who I am and somehow started to make more friends.  It took a few years but things got better and my last few years of high school were a lot of fun, sometimes filled with drama but that just comes with the territory when you're a teenager, everything is drama.  

Not sure if that little story helps at all but just be who you are and don't try to change to fit in or be accepted.  You don't want to be like your one friend there who has gotten mixed up with the wrong type of people.  Just hang in there and hopefully things will get better for you.  You could always try joining a club at school or something.  If you're going to make friends you want them to be your friends because of the person you really are and not some put on to fit in somewhere.

MHD you sound like a very intelligent young man that has goals and knows what kind of life you want. Have you checked around for groups or  clubs etc. outside of school that support your interests? Maybe your local library or Y would have some information. Check around at local churches that have youth groups your age. You can do this on line.  Are there any study groups around that you could just sit in on? You state your grades are good said:
Thank you everyone for positive replies. Yes I'm in high school, 6 months now. Words don't really hurt me much, but if I ignore everything I look even more lonely, quiet, shy and easy to bully. I'm pretty tall, but a bit skinny and my weakness are social skills and sometimes I don't know what to say. I like the school I'm in, it's about computer science, but I hate the class and I don't know anyone except one person who was my schoolmate in primary school, bu.t he turned agaisnt me, he is much more communicative and now he became friends with people that I call "the bad guys", bringing marijuana, knives and some drugs i don't know to school. That's why I don't want to be friend with him because I don't want any trouble. It's hard to make friends when someone makes fun of you in front of whole class and you see that even people I thought were ok to me laugh too. It kills my motivatio, I'm bothering more with social problems than with school (I don't have problems in school (grades) but I could do better with more motivation)).

Maybe you should start learning guitar and get real good. In my experience it can raise your status with a lot of people.

Paraiyar said:
Maybe you should start learning guitar and get real good. In my experience it can raise your status with a lot of people.

I'm not really into music, I guess my hobby is playing chess and video games that relax me.

MHD said:
Paraiyar said:

I'm not really into music, I guess my hobby is playing chess and video games that relax me.

Okay, fair enough.

MHD said:
Some schoolmates are making fun of me, because I'm quiet and alone (and probably I also don't look confident). Why are they making fun of me? No idea to be honest, I didn't do or say anything bad to anyone, probably I'm easy target. Beside that, they also tell others that I'm strange and socially awkward, which makes me a bit angry, they sow hate on me. I don't think I have any friends here in school, I have enemies that I hate less than others, so maybe 2-4 people that aren't 'against' me. I also don't have any other friends, brothers or sisters, no one to talk to, so yeah I'm pretty quiet all the time. I'm not really sad/angry that I don't have friends, I just hate that other people spread hate on me because I'm a little different than 'cool kids'. I don't smoke, vape or do drugs like some others, I usually don't play fancy  new games, mostly chess on phone and so on. i'm a bit skinny so I joined the gym and some people are laughinh at this too. I heard many bad things talking about me, but I'm very sure they make fun of me when I'm not near too.

Hey there, MHD.  I just wanted to tell you I had a pretty similar experience.  I was also treated kind of badly in school, and I think it was because I was also quiet, alone, and not confident.  I was quiet because I didn't know what to talk to people about and most people seemed unfriendly so I tried to be as invisible as I could.  I wasn't into the same things as most people, especially the "cool crowd".  And because I didn't swear or fight and tried to be agreeable and avoid getting in trouble, people probably thought I was an easy target too who wouldn't fight back.  I didn't think I was strong enough to win fights, I didn't want to keep having to fight people all the time, and I didn't want to become a troublemaker.  It made me angry that people thought they could pick on me and talk down to me too.  

There's a lot I wish I could go back and do differently.  I wish I had been myself more, because I probably would have felt better expressing myself, and there was no benefit to hiding it - the "cool kids" weren't going to like me anyway.  And I wish I hadn't spent so much time worrying about those people.  I wish I'd just said, well, those people are going to be stupid, and then spent that same energy trying to get good at things I liked and figuring out who I want to be.  I wish I had read more books, started listening to more bands, kept collecting the stuff I liked, and gotten better at creative things.  But instead, for a while I put down the things I liked because I was afraid other people would think they were "uncool".  I really wish I hadn't done that.  

I think you should keep doing things that you feel are right for you, and not give in to peer pressure if you feel like what your peers are doing is wrong.  If you don't want to smoke or vape or do drugs, don't.  It's okay, and like I said, most of the "cool kids" who do that kind of stuff are stupid anyway.  There isn't anything better about doing those things, and most likely those people are either going to quit eventually, or they are going to keep doing it and only hurt themselves.  And if you want to play chess and go to the gym, keep playing chess and going to the gym.  It might take time to see results, but you'll definitely get better at the game and build at least some muscle.  I'm finding that in my own life, it's really hard to stick with things at first because for a long while it seems like you're getting nowhere, but then all of the sudden I started to notice more and more improvements, and it made me wish I had just kept pushing through the beginner phase instead of having so many false starts.

It seems hard NOT to worry about them when you don't have the experience to know that nothing the "cool kids" say matters, or if they are constantly messing with you.  But just stay strong, remember they are idiots who don't matter, and that soon it will pass.  Keep doing the things you like, because the better you get at them, the more confidence you will have.  And if things get really bad, don't be afraid to talk to your parents, a teacher, or another authority figure if you feel like they would be willing to help.  

Paraiyar said:

I really wish I'd done this, myself.  Not so much FOR status, as it might have kept me busier so it could have taken my mind off of status.  If I got good at something, especially something I liked, I would have liked myself more and felt more confident, more in control of my life.  And if I stuck with it all these years, I would have probably been pretty decent by now.

When I was at school I was mocked, jeered and insulted so much for being quiet. Even the teachers. When I did speak it was made into a joke and put downs. I tried making friends and it didn't work. I can tell you it had nothing to do with my so-called "quietness" because I can be loud if I want. I was picked on for being different.

Welcome, I hope you'll feel great around here! ^_^
Sorry for the behaviour they exhibit. I think you'll end up better off than them, if that's of any help. Good work with staying away from drugs and such, keep it up!
Also, if you don't like your length... give me some of it! :D
EDIT: Just realized this was not in new member forum - oops X) Anyway, my points still stand!

Latest posts

Back