what do you think gives people value?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas

Reaction score
do you think its a monitery thing? the more cash the higher a persons value, or or is it a social status thing? 
does value has a meaning at all?

Some people value money, yes. Others value connections, humor, common interests, education, family background, creativity, or other things.

Money don't mean honeysuckle to me. A persons value to me lies with the person they are and how they treat others. Actions speak louder than words. It's not who you are underneath but what you do that defines you.

From my experience, I find that other people value appearances. Not a 10/10? Have a visible disability? Prepare to be treated like trash before you even say "hi". 

I think that we are all human beings, and we should be treated as such. Treat people like your fellow human being, who deserves love and respect. Treat them like you would treat yourself.

Now here's the part where I kind of put my foot in my mouth.

So, I think everyone deserves to be treated well simply because they're another entity in this universe living their life. At the same time though, I think that there are people out there who aren't good people, and should go eat bricks. Prove to be an awful person, and I think all that should go out the window.

For example, earlier today, a coworker was talking about her friend's new puppy, and how that friend disciplines that puppy by locking it in a small, dark room. Coworker A and B laugh. I know coworkers A and B are terrible people anyway, but I couldn't help but think "Wow, you're all (including this friend) despicable people, I hope someone locks you in a dark, small space. I hope you burn you tongue and lips on that coffee you're drinking right now." Is that what I really thought? No, I thought something worse in the spirit of honesty, but at least I'm not the kind of person who would abandon someone who I know and who is in my company who fell ill in a foreign country.

Beyond the "you are a fellow creature in this world" stuff, what makes me actually like and value people is how they act, what they stand for, and that they are a genuine person.  

I think it should be that simple. Screw "value", circle jerking, and pissing contests (whether imaginary or real), and just try to be a decent human being, don't actively be an awful person.

Does value has a meaning at all?

Value has a meaning for whoever is imparting it on others. That meaning is intrinsically personal, which means that we all value not only different qualities but even different levels of those qualities. It can be observed people giving value to others without knowing what it is worth, this doesn’t directly means they value the wrong set of qualities (although they could be doing that according to some perspectives), or that they’re simply naive in valuing who they shouldn’t while ignoring certain red flags (again, could be) - it can mean that they haven’t stopped to not only contemplate what is valuable to them, but also to ask themselves if they’re being surrounded by those enriching personalities. You can also determine which qualities you wish you had, admire those who do, which is a step towards searching for the meaning of those particular qualities to you and working on becoming more relevant by your own standards - which will make you value yourself and this is a big step, maybe the biggest one of all.

What do you think gives people value?

We know what gives people value: people. However, what makes them have the grounds to decide their inclination towards you is the negotiation of mutual exchange of sentiment - mostly perfected in time and established unconsciously through association with another individual. While you interact, gather information and determine the foundation of the relationship with said person, you’ll both be dictating which qualities are valuable and even how relevant it is for other acquaintances to possess those qualities too. I’ll turn this question back to you. Let it marinate a while, be picky, give a level of value to each quality you think is important, think of those around you with the most primitive but also completely vital qualities and those with the most otherworldly pleasant ones. Then you’ll be able to answer that question.

Just as an observation: Valuing wealth doesn’t directly constitutes superficiality. It can be translated to that when people mean matter, what is palpable - when people have a passion towards the supply. But let’s not forget about those vital qualities I mentioned above; money is also a consequentiality of effectively and exceedingly striving in life, it would be very contemptuous to say that being skillful and ingenious are not qualities to value and praise.

I believe that anyone has value just for being alive, unless they compromise it by doing dumb or evil things. I also think that you can get more value, but only compared to yourself as you were before - not becoming inherently "better" than others.

Wraith said:
I think that we are all human beings, and we should be treated as such. Treat people like your fellow human being, who deserves love and respect. Treat them like you would treat yourself.

Now here's the part where I kind of put my foot in my mouth.

So, I think everyone deserves to be treated well simply because they're another entity in this universe living their life. At the same time though, I think that there are people out there who aren't good people, and should go eat bricks. Prove to be an awful person, and I think all that should go out the window.

Beyond the "you are a fellow creature in this world" stuff, what makes me actually like and value people is how they act, what they stand for, and that they are a genuine person.  

I think it should be that simple. Screw "value", circle jerking, and pissing contests (whether imaginary or real), and just try to be a decent human being, don't actively be an awful person.

I agree with this^

I like to think everyone has some sort of value, it's just that the kind of value differs from person to person, and what someone else seeks in a person. Sounds unlikely, yes, but considering individuals and their personalities are made up of many different traits, there has to be at the very least one good personality trait that others would value in each person.
That being said, some people might have specific or broader traits that they seek of others. Some might be looking for someone who's funny, while some might search for someone who's open and honest.
That's just my opinion on it anyway.

At its deepest core, what I feel gives someone value is their dreams. Everyone has this, thus everyone has value by default.

What separates a human the most from anything else is the ability to dream about where they want to go, what they want to do, the ability to conjure original thoughts and ideas.

What makes it even more special is that we are all unique, so everyone's dreams vary greatly.

Also memories give great value to people. We've all had experiences that are interesting in our memory, this makes us valuable

The Ending scene of the Movie 'Blade Runner', the 'tears in the rain' scene talks about this, the value of memories. This is one of the reasons why its so sad when someone dies, all their memories die with them

I see "value" as two different things - "real" value (every being is equally much worth) and "perceived" value (I like my mother more than a random person or a plant).

Latest posts

Back