Overweight affecting relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missingthesun

Reaction score

I think I've come to the sad conclusion that unless I lose the extra 50 lb. I am carrying, I am just going to stay lonely.  

I found a guy on an online dating site that reads perfect for me.  Into authentic cultures, third world travel, passion for helping others.  I wrote him and he responded nicely that he loved the way I approach life but that he didn't think we would be a match.  I can guess why.  My profile pics are honest.

I met a guy on vacation last month and he wants me to come back to visit.  I thought it might be for a green card, but I've told him clearly that I can't help him with that and that I can't help him with money either (a common thing in his country).  He still wants to see me, but I can't get it out of my head that he must have an ulterior motive, otherwise why would he pick me.  It is not like he is Adonis, but still......I can't  shake it.  I have no body confidence.

I'm going to visit in two weeks but I don't know if I can manage be even semi naked with him.  Even a bathing suit is feeling questionable.  Pretty sure he is expecting it will be intimate, and probably not just under the covers in a completely dark room.  I don't know if I can handle that.

Regardless of whether this is society pressure or just my own poor body image, I think I just have to get this done.  It seems so unfair and I don't want to be on hold while I try, but what other options are there?

Can anyone else relate?  I have lost 5-6 lb. recently but that is only a start.

I forgot to mention my other forum experience that didn't help to say the least. I asked on a local expat forum about my situation and was horribly ridiculed for thinking it could be even partially real. Without even seeing my picture some gave long descriptions of how ridiculous we would look together and one said don't be surprised if he can't perform. I can't get it out of my head now.

Because.....? What are you worried will happen? I'm actually probably safer than with someone here. He has huge incentive to keep me safe and happy with him if he thinks I am a ticket off the island. I believe it is partly that and also believe he actually likes me.

I would just use your best judgment. If you don't see any signs that this guy is trying to play you and your gut feeling tells you that it is ok, then why not? Just use good judgment.

Missingthesun said:

I think I've come to the sad conclusion that unless I lose the extra 50 lb. I am carrying, I am just going to stay lonely.  

I found a guy on an online dating site that reads perfect for me.  Into authentic cultures, third world travel, passion for helping others.  I wrote him and he responded nicely that he loved the way I approach life but that he didn't think we would be a match.  I can guess why.  My profile pics are honest.

I met a guy on vacation last month and he wants me to come back to visit.  I thought it might be for a green card, but I've told him clearly that I can't help him with that and that I can't help him with money either (a common thing in his country).  He still wants to see me, but I can't get it out of my head that he must have an ulterior motive, otherwise why would he pick me.  It is not like he is Adonis, but still......I can't  shake it.  I have no body confidence.

I'm going to visit in two weeks but I don't know if I can manage be even semi naked with him.  Even a bathing suit is feeling questionable.  Pretty sure he is expecting it will be intimate, and probably not just under the covers in a completely dark room.  I don't know if I can handle that.

Regardless of whether this is society pressure or just my own poor body image, I think I just have to get this done.  It seems so unfair and I don't want to be on hold while I try, but what other options are there?

Can anyone else relate?  I have lost 5-6 lb. recently but that is only a start.

I forgot to mention my other forum experience that didn't help to say the least.  I asked on a local expat forum about my situation and was horribly ridiculed for thinking it could be even partially real.  Without even seeing my picture some gave long descriptions of how ridiculous we would look together and one said don't be surprised if he can't perform.  I can't get it out of my head now.

The web can be a cruel place sometimes, huh? Boo on the other forum for their crass comments.
Only you can ultimately change your mind about how you feel about yourself. But there are pragmatic ways to get you on that road - the usual things that I'm sure you've thought of like living a healthy lifestyle.

PS, have fun on your trip in 2 weeks. Keep the pressure off yourself and just go for an adventure. :)

I know I am approaching this from a completely different angle...

You speak of losing weight, but I wonder if it ain't better to think of it as gaining health, gaining years to live, gaining the ability to walk/run further, to accomplish things for yourself? If nothing else, then to get out a bit and see new things. I personally seem to go a bit crazy from staying indoors too much, so I take a walk or go to karate. I got terrible balance, but my endurance is already much better (have actually not even sat down to rest a couple of times after almost a year on karate during the 1-1.5 hours we work out.) It makes me feel slightly happier all in all, and even if it doesn't give me friends or a partner, it keeps me busy and healthy in the moment.

About the journey, I'd say go there. Go there, have fun, and see what happens. Don't let life pass you by, try to catch what you can from it. I wish you luck and strength :D /Meaw

Thanks you guys. Yes I really should lose the weight for my health. The thing that frustrates me is having to put my relationship/sexual hopes aside until I've made a good bit of progress, which means probably 8-9 months anyway. I don't know if I'll be able to shake the body image thing enough to do anything before then. Ugh. That is a long time.

The things I have to fix are mental, which are harder to notice the progress of. How can I see how my brain would react to me studying before I have tried? If I try, would I fall back even worse? I cannot even guess a time, but one day, it might be fixed. And until then, I will sadly most likely be alone. Still , we can fix it ^_^

Good luck. Its a good thing that you decided to lose weight. Seriously, obesity is unhealthy and unattractive - honest personal opinion.
Don't quit you will make it.

M_also_lonely said:
Good luck. Its a good thing that you decided to lose weight. Seriously, obesity is unhealthy and unattractive - honest personal opinion.

My ex actually prefers bigger women.  Since we split, that's all he's dated.   So yeah, while it can be unhealthy, it's not always unattractive.  It's definitely personal preference.

TheRealCallie said:
M_also_lonely said:

My ex actually prefers bigger women.  Since we split, that's all he's dated.   So yeah, while it can be unhealthy, it's not always unattractive.  It's definitely personal preference.
Sorry I didn't know about your ex's preferences. 
But obesity in general is considered unattractive because of it being a health issue, lets say by majority of the world.. Its considered even worse than smoking. I prefer to speak in general rather than based on someone's ex's preferences.

M_also_lonely said:
TheRealCallie said:
M_also_lonely said:

But obesity in general is considered unattractive because of it being a health issue, lets say by majority of the world.. Its considered even worse than smoking. I prefer to speak in general rather than based on someone's ex's preferences.

It's more than just my ex.  I know quite a few people who prefer to date overweight people.

TheRealCallie said:
M_also_lonely said:
TheRealCallie said:
M_also_lonely said:

It's more than just my ex.  I know quite a few people who prefer to date overweight people.

Nice. I thought he is the only one. That's why I didn't talk about 'majority of the world' in my previous post. Anyways, considering my new year's resolutions, I won't argue much with certain people. All I wanted to say is already there.

Latest posts

Back