Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exposure Therapy - Announcing Publically I'm a Virgin
(02-25-2017, 05:48 AM)jasedude2002 Wrote: Hi guys, thought I'd share this video. This hands down is this most anxious thing I've done. Above say public speaking, the tube is the most uncomfortable, socially anxious environment for me because of the vicinity of people and you just can't escape! Every time I use it I get uncomfortable - so this was really scary for me to do.

Even thinking of doing of this made my heart beat more. I did it twice - the second time was better. It's funny because with repetition you can learn to just "let go", not give a **** and it's fine. You can read about eckhart tolle surrendering to the situation, but you'll never understand the true meaning unless you actually face something that scares you and embrace it.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/LCDy4_60FLk

[Image: hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=196&h=110&st...jpg7mxRhlc]

Edit: Please note I'm not actually a virgin. This is an exercise being outside my comfortzone and trying to embrace judgement / awkwardness.

That's pretty cool, jasedude, thanks for sharing. Smile

I lived in London for 2 years and seeing the tube in your video brought back some memories. I sort of laughed when the other people in the carriage barely blinked an eye after you made your "announcement". Smile

One time I was riding the tube and an older man in his 50s or 60s got on and sat on a seat directly across from me. His eyes were red, tears, rolling down his face. Something obviously had just happened and there he was, only a few feet away, openly weeping. But in a city of 8 million people, what to do?
Looking back, we were both undoubtedly outside our comfort zones.
En la boca cerrada no entran moscas.
(02-25-2017, 01:13 PM)SofiasMami Wrote: That's pretty cool, jasedude, thanks for sharing. Smile

I lived in London for 2 years and seeing the tube in your video brought back some memories. I sort of laughed when the other people in the carriage barely blinked an eye after you made your "announcement". Smile

One time I was riding the tube and an older man in his 50s or 60s got on and sat on a seat directly across from me. His eyes were red, tears, rolling down his face. Something obviously had just happened and there he was, only a few feet away, openly weeping. But in a city of 8 million people, what to do?
Looking back, we were both undoubtedly outside our comfort zones.
Hah, what can you do!

My mate actually did a video on saying "hi" to people on the tube. Similarly awkward. A lot ignored or just looked at him strangely: https://youtu.be/GvTTgZRSb9A

The London tube is a strange place.
That's a funny video. Perhaps if your friend faked an American accent while saying "hi there" to strangers, people wouldn't have looked at him like he was nuts lol.
I hate the loud American stereotype because I'm not loud but I always thought it was strange that tube riders would sit in complete silence. I did too, most of the time. When in Rome, do as the Romans. Wink
(02-26-2017, 03:19 AM)SofiasMami Wrote: That's a funny video. Perhaps if your friend faked an American accent while saying "hi there" to strangers, people wouldn't have looked at him like he was nuts lol.
I hate the loud American stereotype because I'm not loud but I always thought it was strange that tube riders would sit in complete silence. I did too, most of the time. When in Rome, do as the Romans. Wink

And the thing is that wasn't cherry-picked clips... They were typically responses we got on the tube. Also a lot of people were very suspcious of camera around (I felt more anxiety filming than actually doing).

Hah, maybe we'll do an american and chinese one next time Wink
(02-26-2017, 09:33 PM)jasedude2002 Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 03:19 AM)SofiasMami Wrote: That's a funny video. Perhaps if your friend faked an American accent while saying "hi there" to strangers, people wouldn't have looked at him like he was nuts lol.

And the thing is that wasn't cherry-picked clips... They were typically responses we got on the tube. Also a lot of people were very suspcious of camera around (I felt more anxiety filming than actually doing).

Hah, maybe we'll do an american and chinese one next time Wink

I'm sure that would be an interesting video too. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cognitive behavioural therapy funkymonkey 4 1,785 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Last Post: roguewave