When i get the confidence all of a sudden it banishes when im about to try something

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owmygod

Reaction score
Hey , its been awhile... I've been stopping for all of this approaching thing for a two months. I mean , due to problems i didn't get the chance to socialize as much as i did months ago. I were talking to all kinds of people in work and places like that , even in bus sometimes (but rarely) , so the hard months with problems get away and now when it's almost winter over season i want to get close to people again.
But here is what my problems are right now (im thinking of the biggest in my mind right now) :

1.Maybe the social anxiety - when im alone or with my parents at home im confident and most of the time relaxed and calm , and even with people i talk much time with. But with completely strangers.... it's like mission impossible to me if it's on the street or park or whatever ....
2.I have back problems and i can't go to gym , not to mention i can't concentrate normally because of the pain all my mind is on it and it's like my mind blocks when i try to meet a person (and i just pass them by with nothing )....

Today i was confident enough , i though it is a really sunny and cool day i get up earlier ive been motivating myself with videos and all kind of stuff like that , it was pretty ok till i go out and when some time (5-10 or more minutes pass) the back starts to hurting and it's the nightmare repeating again... No approaching people , no overcoming social anxiety ( other thing is im going alone without any people by my side) , why is it like it? When i was at work and i took my pills and meds the back stopped hurting so much that i barely feel some kind of pressure , but now it's again like so bad.. No approaching as i said , no new people to meet except online (that suck because it makes you somekind of keyboard jockey , and not a real man ... )

I know about pickup and i want to start doing some of that stuff , or at least something that is close to it. For now , my goal is JUST to start approaching people without this blocking feeling of my mind that i dont have 1% confidence , and mind block .. i know its because of the back but if it didn't hurt i am sure i would be way calm than i am with this pain.
So , do you have any advices over those things? They are crucial for me to start opening up to people and be more extroverted than right now, i know if i waste many years and stay like this without many people to know i will be another loner and loser , so it will get harder... Now im feeling it's the right time to get my life in order and this nonsence to end so it can be a whole new life!
Very long writing but i really needed to share this. Hope you can understand somehow. After this topic maybe i wont post new one for quite some time. I need to fix this problems soon or at least start and hopefully i can recover in time this year for the job and mostly for myself to be feeling normal and without that kind of problems.

Hi. 

That's great that you've tried to talk to people at work and on the bus. And it's important that you keep putting in that effort, because building social skills is like a muscle that needs to be exercised. If you don't keep at it, you will fall back into the lazy pattern of shyness and insecurity. 

I don't know your situation very well. Where do you work? Do you go to school? And since you seem comfortable talking to your parents, would they be able to give you any moral support on talking to other people? Are there any other places you tried going besides the gym?  

Getting involved in something is always the best way to meet people. I recently joined a speech club and attend open mic nights as often as I can. Both have been great ways to present myself to supportive groups of people and get them to notice me, as well as giving myself opportunities to do what makes me uncomfortable...and I go into it with the mindset that I will do the best I can, even though I expect to mess up in places. The more I do it, the more comfortable I become with myself and the less I care about what others think of me.

You don't necessarily have to approach people, if you feel it's too much for you. Why not just say hi to people you pass or are near? Make a comment about the weather or something like that.
And if you feel like you are struggling, just give yourself a minute, close your eyes if you can, take some deep breaths. Concentrate on your breathing instead of other people and just remind yourself that you are okay, that you can do it.

Thank you , you bring the hope back in me when i need it in the worst and hard moments.
I will think and then i will write again

Ok , soo i've decided i wan't to meet new people again.
I just have a few questions -

1.Does someone of you ever made a friend which is not in your work or high-school or the place you trained? Like outside in parks , in concerts , in places with more people? Let's think about this - Im going to a girl i like and i say "Hi , nice to meet you " , then what? If she is alone and waiting for her friend what should i do :D ... Is it a good idea if i try and ask why she is her is she waiting for friend or something like that? Then when i see her and if she is opened to talking or not ,then i should decide if i want to proceed or not? (Yeah , kind of thinking about rejection but we all go with that . :D )

2.How do you build your social circle from the beginning ? For example , i want to try and make friends from work (not giving a big number like 5 or 10 ) , but let's say 2-3 that we are REALLY REALLY talkative and fun. No drama , no bad attitude and certainly no bad stories about the past! I don't want them to think of me that im some "depressed guy" , just because i had a problem like that back in 1-2-3 yrs ago.
But eventually it's gonna go to a time when we talk about the past , and that's where i don't know if i should tell for some hard times. I think i need to keep that to myself , but i can tell the person IF HE IS WORTH to know what i've been and understand , instead of laughing and making fun for himself. It's just stupidity.

3.For #2 it's in the work , but this #3 is about the same thing , but outside of my place that i work.
I've seen some old friends that have met people from all kind of the towns in my country , and that's normal , i've done that too , it's just that it was online(not a bad thing i guess :D )
So , there was this one girl i really looked to she had friends from her 2nd home in her village that is in another town. She have friends from at least 2-3 different towns and they come here even in school (she always was kind of showing off with that :D )

So i want to make new social circle aside from work , but is it possible at all? From what i've seen in the last 2 years i've tried to befriend many people in my town but they always seemed to pull away in 1 moment (Mostly that were in my age) , and i know why! I've done some things that were turn off's , but i want to improve my friendship skills , social skills and removing those things that push people away. Other reasons are perhaps they saw a person without so many friends and they though of him as some kind of "weirdo" , well i dont care about that anymore! I can introduce them to my friends at work place and maybe ..... online's too :D
Will that work ? Im not really the person who likes the big social circles and stuff like that , but a few people is normal to me. But the thing i hate the most and i can't seem to handle is ... judgemental people , and those who speak without knowing your story but instead making one for you(bad one and they think they know all when they actually dont have any idea...)
Lastly , im not always the loudest person as some of them. People mistake being silent and reserved for being a fool and a person who they can make fun of. That's when they're wrong. :)

Any suggestions for making a new social circle? because i think it's somehow of hard to go on my own and start making social circle from outside , but if i have to i will push myself until i succeed , no matter how time , effort or even whole year would it take. I just want to achieve this goal!

Latest posts

Back