Do you have a plan to tackle your loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a plan to tackle your loneliness?

• Yes I did, and it worked!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes... and I hope it works!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Kind of. It didn't work / it isn't going great.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

hoppipolla

Reaction score
Just thought this would make a good poll!

Feel free to tell us in a post what your plan is/was - it would be really interesting and maybe helpful to read them!

The poll is anonymous by the way :)

My main plan is to try to find a job somewhere really busy with lots of staff, and go from there! I also want to avoid living alone (instead favouring things like large houseshares) and spend time on places like MeetMe and local Facebook groups and pages.

I chose "Kind of". It's not going great yet because I haven't been able to start, but also, I only have vague ideas that I'm not sure if they'll work. I have family and friends, and the only sense that I am lonely is for a romantic relationship. Basically, my plan is to figure out who I am more, become less insecure, less negative, and more interesting. I want to just make myself into more the kind of person that someone could be attracted to and want to learn more about. I'm trying to look at what I like about others, and cultivate those same things in myself. I know I'm not satisfied with things as they are, but I don't have any better ideas either, so this is the best I've come up with for now.

I've been living with my mom for six months now and am going to school for a certificate in audio technology. Unfortunately, the town I live in has a high crime rate with a lot of old and homeless people, so I can't make any friends which has taken a toll on my emotional well-being.

However, there is a nearby community that I've decided I want to look towards moving to. It's clean, it's about an hour away from one of the major cities in Southern California, and the people there are friendly and fun-loving. I think my chances of making friends and finding someone to date would improve in a town like this. I've had four job interviews and nothing happened, but I'll keep looking.

Yeah, kinda. I focused a lot more time on hobbies when I realized my only real options locally at my age were to find people at work, or to go have many casual conversations with a constantly-changing crowd at meets. Neither of those are great options for introverts. I wound up making a lot of good online friends, stressing out less about socializing, and starting up some new hobbies.

Now that I'm changing fields of work I'll be doing a lot of new jobs and potentially internships or volunteer work, so there's more opportunities to try to strike up some friendships.

I joined a group but I don't know how to start conversations non awkwardly. I can't imagine any of them as friends.

Eternitydreamer said:
I joined a group but I don't know how to start conversations non awkwardly. I can't imagine any of them as friends.

"I can't....."  That, Eternitydreamer, is a sentiment that seems to keep reoccurring in your posts.  It sounds like you've got a self reinforcing loop replaying itself over and over and it's probably been happening these last 12 years or so. 

I'm sensing that a person who starts a new enterprise and brings with her the same preconceived expectations is setting herself up for the same self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm sympathetic to the dilemma 'cause I've been there.  It's a tough habit to break.

Latest posts

Back