Being an oaf...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eternitydreamer

Reaction score
I joined badminton as part of the mental health group I'm in. I haven't played it for more than 10 years. 

Well, I can't get the knack of it and they are getting annoyed with me. The staff member hates me and the others are frustrated and I'm cast out of their jokes and chatter with each other. They keep telling me how to do it properly but I'm very "slow"
I keep hitting directly upwards, swishing through my hair, hitting it behind me. Hitting it twice in a row (like it goes upwards, I hit it again), missing hitting it multiple times. It started with laughs, they aren't laughing anymore
I kept hitting it on the staff members team and she gave me the evils and is all "hit slowly" and then I hit it again on her team. She didn't laugh. She treats me differently

I have always been bad at sport. So much so I was cast out of sport at school and no one wanted me on their team and I was bullied. It was pretty bad and I'd hurt so much inside. 

It's so bad for me at badminton I don't want to go anymore as the staff member hates me, talks to others but me and the others are irritated. I feel out of place and excluded. I'm treated like a freak.

I am a really clumsy person. I have tripped over my feet before, cords, my own bag, sheets..and I'm very "slow" mentally. You tell me something or to do something I don't "get" it. Other day I was drying something with a drier and then I turned and ripped the cord of the wall with my feet.

Is this a "for fun" group or a competitive type group? If you are playing competitive games, then maybe that isn't for you. If you aren't good at it, don't enjoy it and aren't getting something out of it other than grief, then why keep going? It's OK to try something and discover that it isn't for you. Maybe some other activity would be more to your liking?

Eternitydreamer said:
I joined badminton as part of the mental health group I'm in. I haven't played it for more than 10 years. 

Well, I can't get the knack of it and they are getting annoyed with me. The staff member hates me and the others are frustrated and I'm cast out of their jokes and chatter with each other. They keep telling me how to do it properly but I'm very "slow"
I keep hitting directly upwards, swishing through my hair, hitting it behind me. Hitting it twice in a row (like it goes upwards, I hit it again), missing hitting it multiple times. It started with laughs, they aren't laughing anymore
I kept hitting it on the staff members team and she gave me the evils and is all "hit slowly" and then I hit it again on her team. She didn't laugh. She treats me differently

I have always been bad at sport. So much so I was cast out of sport at school and no one wanted me on their team and I was bullied. It was pretty bad and I'd hurt so much inside. 

It's so bad for me at badminton I don't want to go anymore as the staff member hates me, talks to others but me and the others are irritated. I feel out of place and excluded. I'm treated like a freak.

I am a really clumsy person. I have tripped over my feet before, cords, my own bag, sheets..and I'm very "slow" mentally. You tell me something or to do something I don't "get" it. Other day I was drying something with a drier and then I turned and ripped the cord of the wall with my feet.

I don't get this "I'm slow" thing. You say you're slow and yet you wrote a lucid post in complete sentences with subjects and predicates.
Who told you that you're slow?

[youtube]BbSqDkSLneM[/youtube]

Maybe some kind of drills for building body coordination could help you. Like running and pivoting and doing footwork drills. And a catch drill like this. Maybe play around at the batting cages. It sounds like you just don't have very good coordination. I'm not 100% sure but i believe you should be able to train specifically with drills like this to improve your overall dexterity. Maybe do some old school tai bo workouts or pick up juggling or go to a boxing gym just to train and do drills. Most of these things are solitary activities that don't require teamwork so you'll feel less pressure to perform and wont feel bad about letting down your team. I think you can get better at this kind of thing.

SofiasMami said:
Eternitydreamer said:

I don't get this "I'm slow" thing. You say you're slow and yet you wrote a lucid post in complete sentences with subjects and predicates.
Who told you that you're slow?

I agree with SofiasMami. +1

I was going to say, Eternitydreamer, that you may have some things that you find hard. But you're a very articulate person, you construct your sentences and thoughts clearly. I wouldn't say you're "slow" at all. I know it's been a while since you've been active here, but I hope things got better for you.

Find a new group. Years ago I almost quit basketball because I wasn't "part of the team" that I was signed up with. So, I tried a few other teams until I felt welcomed. Don't stick a round unless is a positive experience for you.

The bottom line here is that sport and exercise are supposed to be enjoyable, if people are getting picky and critical etc they need to get a life. Try not to worry so much about your own mistakes, they only prove that you're human. Tripping over cables etc is something everyone does, you seem to have a very acute consciousness of your own mistakes as though they are the end of the world.

If you make a mistake, take a deep breath and try to smile about it. Honestly, a dropped plate or a missed shot or whatever just aren't worth criticising yourself over. You're far more precious than any of the things that might get broken or points that might be dropped. Prioritise your self and your happiness and don't imagine other people are perfect, as other have said you seem perfectly articulate and intelligent and you have no reason to be somehow ashamed of yourself.

Latest posts

Back