Friendship / potential ghosting question

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bert_hanley

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m here today to ask for some advice.

A few months ago, I met a new friend. Over these months, a friendship seemed to grow. I considered him a friend, and he said that he considered the same of me. We hung out a few times to go out and eat and went to the movies once. We both go to the same college, and our spring break was this past week. We had made plans to do lunch and a movie again during the break, and things were fine the Thursday before last when we last saw each other.

The break was this past week. I wished him a happy birthday through text message as his birthday was on Tuesday. Then, on Wednesday, I sent a text asking him if he was still up for going to the movies as we had planned. I have not communicated with him further to give him space, nor have I heard any response from him to either of the text messages I sent. He has always been pretty responsive in the past. Understandably, I am a little concerned.

Ghosting has happened to me several times before, and I just kind of accepted it and moved on. This time I would like to know why. What is your advice as to how to go about asking what is wrong and if I did something? In a way I don’t want to lose the friendship, if possible, because I have enjoyed watching it grow and this guy seemed pretty awesome. On the other hand, due to several other friendship failures, I have learned not to “get too attached” if you will. I just want to know the truth and whether or not a friendship is worth cultivating, or onward and upward to new things ahead and move on. I don’t want to get hurt again, and if it is meant for me to walk away, then so be it. But before that happens, I want to give things a fair chance.

We go back to college next week and I will probably see him sometime. As I said, the last time we talked and made plans, everything seemed fine. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

talk to him and see if something happened? Idk, maybe he changed his number or something.. Idk. Or at least try and see how he explains all this silence. Then you can decide what you prefer.

If he said he considers you a friend and has been acting as a friend would, I would take that at face value until you see any real evidence otherwise. There could be any number of reasons for him not responding to your text right away - like a broken phone or a personal crisis that needs his immediate attention (it's happened to me). When you see him back at college, try picking up where you left off and carry on being friendly. If he reciprocates your friendliness, then your fears were most likely unfounded.

I agree with the others. Something probably came out. It's not hard these days to break a phone. And also, your texts might not be reaching him. That's been happening to me a good bit. I have watched people send me texts and I never get them.

Talk to him when you get back from break.

Latest posts

Back