Good guys/bad guys in the late 18th century

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyoung

Reaction score
and many women, I am persuaded, marry a man before they are twenty, whom they would have rejected some years after. Very frequently, when the education has been neglected, the mind improves itself, if it has leisure for reflection, and experience to reflect on; but how can this happen when they are forced to act before they have had time to think, or find that they are unhappily married? Nay, should they be so fortunate as to get a good husband, they will not set a proper value on him; he will be found much inferior to the lovers described in novels, and their want of knowledge makes them frequently disgusted with the man, when the fault is in human nature.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Thoughts_on_the_Education_of_Daughters

Just found this a bit funny. Human nature has apparently not changed that much.

Call the presses... teenagers aren't good at gauging whether their relationships are actually good or bad.

Tealeaf said:
Call the presses... teenagers aren't good at gauging whether their relationships are actually good or bad.

yeah, but in that time period there was no way to acces information to know this. Now is practically a sin to be that naive.

Xpendable said:
Tealeaf said:

yeah, but in that time period there was no way to acces information to know this. Now is practically a sin to be that naive.

No amount of information will make a teenager not a teenager, sorry. They're young, inexperienced, and easily influenced by nature. They always have and always will not know what the real world is like or how to navigate their relationships when they're first stepping into it away from childhood, and put too much faith in other people, media, etc.

Nothing to do with women don't appreciate good men because they want fake movie stars and romance novel heroes, wah wah. You're talking about women who are still little girls in some cases, forming their own beliefs and challenging what they were taught as babies for the first time in their life. No they do not know the best or appreciate everything at that point. Neither do the young men because they're in the same position. Not just relationships, either, but things like friends and family, or jobs, or fitness and health.

The term teenager was invented in the 50'. There were differnet times with differnet beliefs and cultural paradigms. At 14 I knew all about the reproductive system, giving birth, abortion, STD, prostitution and so on. I knew all that thanks to available information from today. I was probably more educated at that age than a full adult in 1787, so you can't come up with "kids will be kids" with the idea that 100 years ago a 17yo could be probably killing people in the war. This only shows that no matter the time period, there's serious biological customs ingrained in us. What constitutes a quality man hasn't changed much in time. It all comes down to his ability to provide resources, to have status and the ability to protect his descendence. All others traits are secundary and socially introduced by postmodern hacks. we would need some more thousands if not more years to start seeing a significant change in mate selection that doesn't come from the usual animalistic instincts.

Tealeaf said:
Xpendable said:
Tealeaf said:

No amount of information will make a teenager not a teenager, sorry. They're young, inexperienced, and easily influenced by nature. They always have and always will not know what the real world is like or how to navigate their relationships when they're first stepping into it away from childhood, and put too much faith in other people, media, etc.

Nothing to do with women don't appreciate good men because they want fake movie stars and romance novel heroes, wah wah. You're talking about women who are still little girls in some cases, forming their own beliefs and challenging what they were taught as babies for the first time in their life. No they do not know the best or appreciate everything at that point. Neither do the young men because they're in the same position. Not just relationships, either, but things like friends and family, or jobs, or fitness and health.

As a high school teacher, who deals with teenage drama on a daily basis, and for some reason they pick me to vent too about it.....deep breath.

I agree with this. They, as do older people, pick people that reminds then of their parents' relationships, because that is a major model at a young age.

Xpendable said:
The term teenager was invented in the 50'. There were differnet times with differnet beliefs and cultural paradigms. At 14 I knew all about the reproductive system, giving birth, abortion, STD, prostitution and so on. I knew all that thanks to available information from today. I was probably more educated at that age than a full adult in 1787, so you can't come up with "kids will be kids" with the idea that 100 years ago a 17yo could be probably killing people in the war. This only shows that no matter the time period, there's serious biological customs ingrained in us. What constitutes a quality man hasn't changed much in time. It all comes down to his ability to provide resources, to have status and the ability to protect his descendence. All others traits are secundary and socially introduced by postmodern hacks. we would need some more thousands if not more years to start seeing a significant change in mate selection that doesn't come from the usual animalistic instincts.

Absolutely none of those things makes someone mature. You don't learn what a uterus is and magically develop new life and relationship skills. You just know what a uterus is.

Nicolelt said:
Tealeaf said:
Xpendable said:
Tealeaf said:

As a high school teacher, who deals with teenage drama on a daily basis, and for some reason they pick me to vent too about it.....deep breath.

I agree with this. They, as do older people, pick people that reminds then of their parents' relationships, because that is a major model at a young age.

Just tired of the constant complaining all over the Internet about women and how women want such and such, and hate so and so, from people who never date women and are clearly experts based off what they read on the Internet.

Tealeaf said:
Absolutely none of those things makes someone mature. You don't learn what a uterus is and magically develop new life and relationship skills. You just know what a uterus is.

I may not made me an expert, but it doesn't make me an idiot. To keep wishfully ignorant on how the mind also works, I learnt about social relationships as well. my conlcusion was that people love suffering; there's no other explanation to commit the same mistakes over and over.

Just tired of the constant complaining all over the Internet about women and how women want such and such, and hate so and so, from people who never date women and are clearly experts based off what they read on the Internet.

You don't need to interact directly with someone to understand why they do what they do. Im not talking about the internet but direct observation of tens of thousands of individuals. As a man I'm also tired of being called horrible things, but I won't discredit other people's experiences because it hurts my feelings.

Latest posts

Back