Everyone, I need serious help ASAP

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
I'll get straight to it.

The antivirus of my laptop expired (Avast Free Antivirus), so I went to a well-known place I usually go to get it re-installed.
After turning it on tonight and getting into Firefox, something very unusual happened.
My bookmarks were sort of deleted, I still have them, but it's a really old list, an obsolete one that's not the one I had up to date.
Is it possible to get back the one I had before?  The newer one, I mean.
Re-searching for them one by one is not an option, I lost HUNDREDS of bookmarks, easily a thousand.
This was not supposed to happen, it usually didn't happen, that's why I was confident enough in not making a backup.
If I'm f*cked, then just please be straight, if not, then PLEASE tell me how to get them back.

You could try this, it's an excerpt from an Avast forum from a person with a similar problem:

"Yes, if you just right click on the Bookmarks tab and then click on the Show All Bookmarks option then right click the Backup and Restore tab and simply hover the cursor over the Restore option a drop down list of as many as 12 saved dated bookmark restore points should be presented.
The last time you added a bookmark should be the first bookmark restore point date. "

I don't use Avast or Firefox, so I can't say if it will work for sure, or if the backups are automatically generated, but might be worth a try :) good lucks :)

Skyless said:
You could try this, it's an excerpt from an Avast forum from a person with a similar problem:

"Yes, if you just right click on the Bookmarks tab and then click on the Show All Bookmarks option then right click the Backup and Restore tab and simply hover the cursor over the Restore option a drop down list of as many as 12 saved dated bookmark restore points should be presented.
The last time you added a bookmark should be the first bookmark restore point date. "

I don't use Avast or Firefox, so I can't say if it will work for sure, or if the backups are automatically generated, but might be worth a try :) good lucks :)

Sorry, that doesn't work.  The latest backup is from April 18, 2016.
I'm going to do a system restore and see what happens.

Skyless said:
Hope it works out for ya :)

It got worse!  Now my old bookmarks have been deleted.  =(  Also, my Mozilla Firefox looks like Chrome now.  I guess all's lost at this point.
EDIT: Oh my goodness, I somehow managed to undo the whole thing. I thought it was going to be the solution, but it obviously wasn't. Maybe my Firefox might not be up to date, which could make the process more difficult, I guess.

TheRealCallie said:

I've read those options, but none of them help.  They're about recovering old bookmarks, with me, it's the OTHER way around, I'm trying to recover my latest bookmarks save.
I think I have an idea of what happened: my Firefox wasn't updated, its last update was from April 2016 and my latest bookmark restores are from that time too, so the antivirus restored that session.  I updated my Firefox, hoping I would get my bookmarks, but it didn't happen.  I guess I'll just have to deal with the consequences of not making an emergency backup.

UPDATE: So, I found something interesting.  I was browsing my computer in general, hoping in vain that my bookmarks were still somewhere and I sort of found them.  Turns out that the guy used an AdwCleaner and deleted a folder that looks very much like a profile, the bookmarks I want are there, in a JSONLZ4 file.  It's renewed me a little bit of hope and I'll search on how to get them back.

UPDATE #2: SOLVED!  They were indeed on that AdwCleaner, in a quarantine folder.  All I did was to choose the file on the bookmarks restoration option and they're all back.  Now I'll have this as a life-lesson.  Nevertheless, thank you for your time Skyless and RealCallie, I really appreciate it.

TheRealCallie said:
Maybe you should consider using a different antivirus, if avast is going to give you this much trouble.  

I'm glad you found them.

It actually wasn't the antivirus what caused the problem, it was the AdwCleaner.  I have no idea why he thought it was necessary to run it, I'll have to ask him.
Other than that, the antivirus is working just fine, and I am glad to have found them too, they're a big part of my lonely life after all.  =I

Latest posts

Back