Career change advice?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augusto

Reaction score
Trying to make more global change in career and life by joining some movement or ngo didn't work well yet.
In addition, I'm also looking for a more traditional career change.

I'm trying to leave IT field by all costs. Programming, analytics, project management, support and so on - did it all for years. It's just not my field, I'm much more into humanities and liberal arts, and have lots of knowledge there due to constant self-education.

Question is - in which non-tech fields or certain jobs experience in IT with related MS degree could be an advantage?

I'm still looking on nonprofit sector more, but here it's very limited, so I'll be glad to get any suggestions.

P.S. Only please don't advice about going back to college - local system of education makes it impossible to get a second higher degree (even Bachelor) in less than three years on full time schedule, and prices bites too.

Maybe you could start writing columns on the societal impacts of A.I and automation? Your experience within I.T would probably help but you'd still be within the realm of humanities.

I know you said you want to get out of the IT field, but since it's what you know, why not look around for a humanities group that needs an IT? Everyone needs an IT right? That could be your way in.

TheRealCallie said:
I know you said you want to get out of the IT field, but since it's what you know, why not look around for a humanities group that needs an IT?  Everyone needs an IT right?  That could be your way in.

I'm looking for one for a long time, but didn't find anything suitable, unfortunately. I found some, but it was abroad, and they were unwilling to sponsor a working visa for me.

Paraiyar said:
Maybe you could start writing columns on the societal impacts of A.I and automation? Your experience within I.T would probably help but you'd still be within the realm of humanities.

It's so little firld with such a huge competition of peopel who want to do it even for free, so I'm not planning to move there.
I was a volunteer journalist for some time (foreign policy issues, geopolitical conflicts analysis and so on), but nowadays it's a terrible career path.

IT is a vast field. Nothing about it excites you anymore or hasn't really ever excited you?

Gorbachov said:
IT is a vast field. Nothing about it excites you anymore or hasn't really ever excited you?

I never had any interest in IT or tech, and couldn't care less about those fields. I even purchaced my first smartphone only less than a year ago.

I prefer liberal arts (history, social science, political science), non-tech and non-finance analytics (like political or social trends) and work with people (managing, educating, inspiring), and I know that I'm much above average workers in those areas. But still it's hard to figure out specific job which I could fit in.

How did you end up in this field if it never has really peaked your interest?

Gorbachov said:
How did you end up in this field if it never has really peaked your interest?

I'm from poor family with single parent, and had to provide financial support asap after high school. At 17 I had to be a full time student and part time developer.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to switch to career path which I'd like, but I found no relevant web resources for this, and very little info, advice or others' experience for switching from IT to non-related fields.

Latest posts

Back