Hey :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

My name is Beth, 26, from the south west of England.

I spend a lot of time alone by choice, as I have many solitary hobbies (reading, writing, guitar). Over time my friends have all moved away and I see them rarely now. I find it more difficult to connect with them when we do get together, and I struggle to make new friends. 

I find myself in social situations a lot (through work and family) but I always feel at a distance. I have a  Bell Jar thing going on, I guess.

...So that's me :)

Welcome, Beth. Sorry that you're feeling disconnected, and I hope things improve for you.

Welcome to the forum Beth,

Isn't the south west of England considered the "good" part when it comes to weather? I've heard Cornwall is beautiful and there are even some palm trees to be found :D Hope that's you're part!

Anyway, welcome and I hope you get out of this forum what you're looking for!

Hey Something_Vague welcome to the forum, that's cool that you play the guitar. I try but I'm not very good at it. What are you reading atm? I'm currently in the process of re reading the Harry Potter series and I'm almost done with the 5th book.

Yeah I can kind of relate, after college pretty much all my college friends moved away and my car's all crapped out so I can't visit the few friends still left in my old college town.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

Cornishboy - I am from Mid Devon, so I guess a northerner to you? I have family in Cornwall, the St Austell area :)

MisterLonely - Cornwall is very beautiful, and my part (Devon) isn't far off, to be fair - I am very lucky. And summer is coming!

Evanescencefan - I'm sure you're better at playing the guitar than you think :) I am just about to start Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman - one of my favourite subjects by one of my favourite authors, so I'm excited! I enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but haven't read them since they came out. I think I might revisit them soon. Did you get sorted into your house on Pottermore? And yes, it is really hard when your friends are scattered ):

Something_Vague said:
Cornishboy - I am from Mid Devon, so I guess a northerner to you? I have family in Cornwall, the St Austell area :)

I'm only about 2 miles from the Cornwall/Devon border, so you're not really a northerner ;).  I've also lived in Devon as well.

Can I just be the first to say that there is just something vague about your user name.  :D  Your name is Beth? Aw I used to have a crush on a girl named Beth when I was like 8 years old, I wish I could go back to that time in my life. I'm always looking for new people to try and chat with, like you I really struggle at making friends, but you can send me a message if you want I don't mind. Anyway welcome to the forum.

Hi Beth welcome from another south westerner I'm a bit north of you. Devon is a lovely place.

Thanks haywud  :p
My user name is actually a song title - I wasn’t sure what to put!
Yeh, I think pretty fondly of life at 8 years old too :) 1999 was a good year…and at that age, I think my crush was called Elliott!

Thanks Celt  :shy:  There seem to be a few of us on here! I’ve lived in both Devon and Wiltshire, but Devon is definitely home.

I know how that feels to feel like you are drifting apart from friends. Sometimes I actually regret hanging out with some of my older friends when they come round because I don't feel like I get anything out of it anymore.

Paraiyar said:
I know how that feels to feel like you are drifting apart from friends. Sometimes I actually regret hanging out with some of my older friends when they come round because I don't feel like I get anything out of it anymore.

Yeh, I'm with you on that :(

Latest posts

Back