can a 14 year old handle a visit to her mom in jail?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D64556

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]my wife will soon be entering county jail for seven months for a money crime. . I am willing to stick by her and not leave her because I feel She made some stupid mistakes but it was out of character so I think she just got herself into a bad situation and make some poor decisions. And I am not defending her or saying she should not serve her punishment. I told my kids she is rightfully serving her punishment which is the right thing for her mistakes. I am wondering what is the best way to prepare for this situation and how to handle it. I have a daughter who is 14 and she seems to be handling it fine. I told her right away about it and she reacted pretty calmly. She later joked about how her mother is "getting ordered around now". I think it is just a joke and I think it is better to be that way instead of being hysterical about it . I was originally not going to let her visit her mom in jail because I would think exposing her to that environment is not a good idea but I am actually hearing that it is a good idea to let her visit but why? isn't it a bad idea to let a 15 year old be exposed to a jail. She could easily be intimidated by the guards and inmates and just the area. My wife says bring her if she wants to visit but don't if she doesn't. She says she doesn't have a problem visiting but I am not sure. Even I find the jail environment to be intimidating. If I do, how can a 14 year old handle it?[/font]

It could even be a positive thing, could make your daughter think more about where she doesn't want to go with her own future.

Well...

I would have a real problem being married to a thief. I'm assuming theft of some sort is the issue. I was in a long-term relationship with a woman who was a compulsive shopper and occasional shoplifter. All of this was hidden from me.

Whatever put your wife in jail was a failure of character. So I guess the question is now (as sad as it may be), how will she be an influence on your daughter?

Fourteen-year-olds are very impressionable.

If she goes to see her mom and her mom comes across as penitent, sorrowful, and uncomfortable in her surroundings...this may impress upon your daughter not to commit crimes.

If however, she goes to see her mom and her mom comes across as brave, stoic, and "not doing too bad" ... this may have the opposite effect and leave a subconscious impression that "jail isn't too bad" and "this is just what we do."

Tread cautiously.

You are a nicer man than I. I have zero tolerance for moral failings and would likely have filed for divorce and custody.

That's a difficult situation. My neighbor's granddaughter was in jail and she would take her grandkids to see her from time to time. But, it is what it is. I wouldnt over expose her to it.

Ok, the strangest thing just happened. I was just browsing the forums here as I usually do and I came across this post by D64556. As I was reading it, I swore to God that I have read this exact post somewhere before. In fact, I knew I had. I read it on Yahoo Answers years ago and it's so strange that I would remember it. So, just to be sure, I copied the entire post and googled it. I was so right, it is scary. This same exact post, is on at least a hundred different forums all over the net going back years ago.  I don't know if this is spam, or some sort of chain letter, or just some nut writing this all over the place which would be the craziest thing. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I still can't believe I remembered this guy. I think it's because over the years, I would see this post every so often.  Absolutely crazy. It's really kind of creeping me out to be honest. It also tells me that I must absolutely have no life what so ever in that I can actually come across this post multiple times all over the entire freaking internet. Do you know how big the internet is? How the hell is that even possible? Which just creeps me out even more. This is very bizarre to me.

Here is a link from 2015 from a different forum. This is just one of many.

http://www.writeaprisoner.com/vbfor...9625-should-my-daughter-visit-her-mother.html

Another link:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/747161-should-my-daughter-visit-her-mom-while-she-is-in-jail

It does change slightly...

...my wife will soon be entering county jail for eight months for a money crime. ...

...I have a daughter who is 15 and she seems to be handling it fine...

Your daughter joking about it, might be her way to cope. I know people like that.

I have had some fourteen year olds that I would say, could definitely handle visiting a parent in jail (and a few who have). Most of the time, it's one on one, so she wouldn't be seeing any other inmate, plus I think it would be a good way to keep your family together during this hard time.

I would ask your daughter her feelings towards it, and if she gives you a mature answer, go for it.

Minus said:
It does change slightly...

...my wife will soon be entering county jail for eight months for a money crime. ...

...I have a daughter who is 15 and she seems to be handling it fine...

I noticed that too.

MissLonely79 said:
Ok, the strangest thing just happened. I was just browsing the forums here as I usually do and I came across this post by D64556. As I was reading it, I swore to God that I have read this exact post somewhere before. In fact, I knew I had. I read it on Yahoo Answers years ago and it's so strange that I would remember it. So, just to be sure, I copied the entire post and googled it. I was so right, it is scary. This same exact post, is on at least a hundred different forums all over the net going back years ago.  I don't know if this is spam, or some sort of chain letter, or just some nut writing this all over the place which would be the craziest thing. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I still can't believe I remembered this guy. I think it's because over the years, I would see this post every so often.  Absolutely crazy. It's really kind of creeping me out to be honest. It also tells me that I must absolutely have no life what so ever in that I can actually come across this post multiple times all over the entire freaking internet. Do you know how big the internet is? How the hell is that even possible? Which just creeps me out even more. This is very bizarre to me.

http://www.writeaprisoner.com/vbfor...9625-should-my-daughter-visit-her-mother.html

Another link:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/747161-should-my-daughter-visit-her-mom-while-she-is-in-jail
Unrelated but I've been on this guitar forum for years and a year or two ago, some forum members discovered this weird forum where lots of our threads had been copied and reposted, like a ghost forum or something...The internet is a strange place...

MissLonely79 said:

Another link:

This is definitely to similar to be a coincidence!

By noticing this I think you'll soon be contacted by the Illuminati to join their ranks... That or it could be some kind of social study going on for several years, my guess is still Illuminati though!

MisterLonely said:
MissLonely79 said:

Another link:

This is definitely to similar to be a coincidence!

By noticing this I think you'll soon be contacted by the Illuminati to join their ranks... That or it could be some kind of social study going on for several years, my guess is still Illuminati though!

Oh my God, don't tell me that! Lmao.  After thinking about it all weekend, my memory started coming back to me. Back in the day, I use to frequent Yahoo Answers a lot. And he would post this same questions multiple times a week in the same forum I would go to a lot. That is how I was able to remember him. It's so freaking crazy all these years later, here he is, a world away, or so I thought!

Latest posts

Back