Socializing on the internet

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdLight

Reaction score
So then, I guess I got to express this because I'v been thinking about it for a long time and I think I need advice or help or something.

So basically, for most of my life now I've been living the paradox of being extremely lonely and wanting to make friends, but at the same time unable to even work up the motivation to consistently post on any one internet forum or message board long enough to make friends online. I mean like, I'm not making friends in real life and haven't had friends for years and years, so you would think, logically, that I would then turn to the internet to socialize and make friends, but that's not the case!

For years now I've just lurked around message boards and forums, and whenever I do work up the motivation to make an account and post, it's always a temporary one off thing. Like I'll occasionally reach a point where the loneliness is so overbearing that I have to try to reach out, via the internet, but it's always a flash in a pan, I post a few times, lose interest, and don't make any friends and continue to be lonely. It isn't an exaggeration or hyperbole when I say that I've never made a single friend on the internet, ever.

It's so **** weird, I mean you can see by this account here a prime example of it. Signed up in early 2014 and only posted a few times, but I keep on returning here every once in a while because this is the only place where I can be straightforward about my loneliness. And I want to make it work dammit! I want to make friends online or get into an online community and all that. In trying to understand myself, I can think of a few reasons for why this is. 

For one thing I have a lifelong habit of having a passing interest in things and moving on, and I think this habit is so ingrained in me it's hard to stay the course and post in one place for very long. For another thing I have a lifelong habit of lurking instead of posting, I always feel like I don't have much to add to discussions and the few times I have posted online I start to psych myself about about whether I'm being awkward or if what I posted was stupid and all that. For a third thing I keeping on losing patience, or I don't get the gratification I want because it feels like I'm wasting my time when I post and reply and no one replies back or I don't make a friend right away, I almost want to go full desperation mode and say "someone please be my friend I beg you!", but I'm pretty sure that is off putting to most people. For a fourth thing I've always had this weird aversion to obligation, especially social obligation, and as soon as I start posting somewhere I seriously start to get anxiety that's like "oh god I have to keep up with this and post and reply and I don't want that responsibility!", so then I stop posting and my loneliness continues unabated. I think also I'm consistently lulled into contentment, despite my loneliness, by music, entertainment, and video games and all that. That is, despite my loneliness I can forget about it by drowning it out with music and movies and TV shows but the fundamental problem remains and always resurfaces.

I don't know, this may all sound stupid to some of you, but I, despite years and years of loneliness, have almost no experience socializing on the internet, much less real life. Do you all have any advice? Do I just need to be literal about it and say "okay, I'm going to post here once a day, everyday, until I make some friends"? Or do I need to not be so literal about it and post as I please? How do I maintain the motivation to stay? I have a lifelong habit of keeping this lonely status quo and I need to break myself out of it somehow, but I'm at a loss when I can't even socialize effectively on the internet of all places.

I feel similar to this sometimes. It can feel like a lot of effort to even participate on a forum once, let alone consistently. Setting a rule for yourself to post daily might help make it a habit, and there are studies that show that familiarity increases likability. So the more you show up, the more friendly people will feel towards you. 

It couldn't hurt to try?

I also think it helps to try and care less about looking desperate. I think it's safe to say we're all a little lonely here, and not averse to making friends :)

Oh, and interest-specific communities can be helpful as they give you something to discuss. Like maybe certain Reddit pages or just websites related to one of your interests? It can be easier to make a connection with someone when you have something to share.

Something_Vague said:
I feel similar to this sometimes. It can feel like a lot of effort to even participate on a forum once, let alone consistently. Setting a rule for yourself to post daily might help make it a habit, and there are studies that show that familiarity increases likability. So the more you show up, the more friendly people will feel towards you. 

It couldn't hurt to try?

I also think it helps to try and care less about looking desperate. I think it's safe to say we're all a little lonely here, and not averse to making friends :)

Oh, and interest-specific communities can be helpful as they give you something to discuss. Like maybe certain Reddit pages or just websites related to one of your interests? It can be easier to make a connection with someone when you have something to share.

Yeah I'm going to try the 1 post a day here thing. Hopefully something will come from it, but I guess one thing I have going for me is I'm very patient. As for interest-specific communities, that's just the thing, I can't maintain interest in a thing for long enough to feel like it's worth it to go to any specific place for very long. For example, any given video game tends to be a passing interest for me, and I never feel that invested in a game to post in a game specific community. 

When I do want to post in an interest-specific community for something broad, like video games in general, to be frank those places tend to be kinda honeysuckle, like the "gaming" subreddit, or really any large general video game discussion board. Large communities like that tend to filled with a lot of repetitive crap, people being rude and insulting, little kids and teens getting overly emotional about video game review scores, endless circlejerks about certain games that "everyone" agrees is the best, etc etc.

I only have friends online anymore, but they didn't come easy. Most of the people I call my friends online are people I tried to reach out to for one reason or another. So many of them I reached out to because they seemed to have similar problems as me, while others I reached out to because they had similar interests as me. I would hate to count out all of the private messages I've sent to people over the last year or so on various forums, but it's been a lot and only a few of those people have become friends. I'm usually afraid of actually reaching out to people, but I'm also very lonely to the point where I just need people to talk to and the internet is my only option so I just say F it and go for it sometimes. I've had a couple of people that sent me a message first that turned into a friendship, but mostly it's been me reaching out first and taking the initiative. So my advice, don't just sit back and wait for people to come to you you need to seek out people sometimes. If it doesn't go well with someone then move on and try again until you meet someone that will become a friend.

Speaking of taking the initiative, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to send you a private message. I've been a big gaming fan for as long as I can remember, and it sounds like you're really into games too, so if nothing else I could definitely talk about that with you.

I agree with haywud, that you need to reach out if you want to make friends. Most of the friends I have made and the interactions that I've had with them were me taking the initiative. I can understand your joining forums and leaving - I have done this in the past as well, including at this forum - but posting regularly on the forum helps people to get to know you better and will increase the likelihood of making friends.

I tried making friends on other forums, including reddit, but the thing about reddit is the way the format of the site is, is that it's difficult to get to know anybody because there are so many people on most of the subs, and small ones tend to have an established group that is unwelcoming. The only friend I made on there eventually stopped responding to me. Anyway, what I want to say is, just try and make the effort and friends will come.

Be open, be honest, be kind, be understanding, be fair, be non judgemental and above all be yourself.

I've had just about every problem you speak of myself, just over half a year ago when I joined this forum I couldn't even comment on other peoples post, I stated typing and halfway in I'd think "should I say that", "would this be misunderstood maybe", "would they make fun off me for my opinion" and so so much more of similar honeysuckle!

I still think a great deal about what I say, and how I phrase it, I had to really work to get to that point where you just think 'fresia it' if I'm not liked because of my opinion, so be it!

I don't have the energy to post all day long, I just pick a few topics every now and then and read up before I decide whether or not to join in, and if I get a reaction I'll probably react back, but it might just as well be that I just said what I needed to say and moved on. People can always PM if they need answers or clarification ;)

Be you, don't hide that and don't try to change that, that's my advice....

Ah thank you so much for the replies guys, good advice all round. I'll definitely try to put in the effort and take the initiative (makes it sounds like a military maneuver lol) with socializing and stuff.

Also, I can totally relate with what you said about how you were before now, MisterLonely. I'm constantly self-conscious about what I post, typing and deleting and not posting and all that. But I'll take your advice and try to not psych myself out about it too much, post more freely.

My theory - the more you post, the easier it gets :p
Welcome back ^_^

I have tried many forums (easily be like 15), including this and can't make friends. People don't like me, don't respond or just I'm too boring I guess. I've been on the internet since 2008 and had nothing but bullying, exclusion, and people turn on me. I remember in 2008 I thought I made a friend..she was into a celebrity and then suddenly it ended. And in 2011 a guy who liked a celebrity but he admitted to bullying me. I have tried literally every avenue of my former interests (graphic art, anime, tumblr, cartoons...etc) and even mental health. Nothing works. Get bullied or something crap happens. Even admin join in on the attacks. I don't know what it is. My best friends are my stuffed animals, they don't judge me or make fun of my appearance or lie to me. I can trust them.

I don't want friends anymore because any attempts people make is all fake and they don't keep or conversations. Friendship isn't real. I'll never have anybody. I'm nearing 25 and have no idea what love or friendship is...I've never even been kissed or loved by anyone.

I wouldn't advise setting a quota. There's never a guarantee with online communities. What's considered acceptable, or normal, or funny, varies from forum to forum. I've been visiting forums, some long-term, some short-term, since around 2005.

People who don't contribute much tend not to be noticed by others, sure. But there's not much to post about if you don't enjoy discussing the topic or want input on what you're thinking. Best to pick something you have your fair share of opinions on and experiences with.

Same for people who try picking up games just to meet people online. If you're picking games you don't care about, you'll have a much harder time making friends than someone who legitimately enjoys chatting and playing.

I think it's much healthier to work on having real world friends because you'll get a much richer experience in putting your social skills use, & hopefully in forming friendships. Whatever way you choose, the key seems to be in developing your social skills & knowing how to apply them.

ColdLight said:
So then, I guess I got to express this because I'v been thinking about it for a long time and I think I need advice or help or something.

So basically, for most of my life now I've been living the paradox of being extremely lonely and wanting to make friends, but at the same time unable to even work up the motivation to consistently post on any one internet forum or message board long enough to make friends online. I mean like, I'm not making friends in real life and haven't had friends for years and years, so you would think, logically, that I would then turn to the internet to socialize and make friends, but that's not the case!

For years now I've just lurked around message boards and forums, and whenever I do work up the motivation to make an account and post, it's always a temporary one off thing. Like I'll occasionally reach a point where the loneliness is so overbearing that I have to try to reach out, via the internet, but it's always a flash in a pan, I post a few times, lose interest, and don't make any friends and continue to be lonely. It isn't an exaggeration or hyperbole when I say that I've never made a single friend on the internet, ever.

It's so **** weird, I mean you can see by this account here a prime example of it. Signed up in early 2014 and only posted a few times, but I keep on returning here every once in a while because this is the only place where I can be straightforward about my loneliness. And I want to make it work dammit! I want to make friends online or get into an online community and all that. In trying to understand myself, I can think of a few reasons for why this is. 

For one thing I have a lifelong habit of having a passing interest in things and moving on, and I think this habit is so ingrained in me it's hard to stay the course and post in one place for very long. For another thing I have a lifelong habit of lurking instead of posting, I always feel like I don't have much to add to discussions and the few times I have posted online I start to psych myself about about whether I'm being awkward or if what I posted was stupid and all that. For a third thing I keeping on losing patience, or I don't get the gratification I want because it feels like I'm wasting my time when I post and reply and no one replies back or I don't make a friend right away, I almost want to go full desperation mode and say "someone please be my friend I beg you!", but I'm pretty sure that is off putting to most people. For a fourth thing I've always had this weird aversion to obligation, especially social obligation, and as soon as I start posting somewhere I seriously start to get anxiety that's like "oh god I have to keep up with this and post and reply and I don't want that responsibility!", so then I stop posting and my loneliness continues unabated. I think also I'm consistently lulled into contentment, despite my loneliness, by music, entertainment, and video games and all that. That is, despite my loneliness I can forget about it by drowning it out with music and movies and TV shows but the fundamental problem remains and always resurfaces.

I don't know, this may all sound stupid to some of you, but I, despite years and years of loneliness, have almost no experience socializing on the internet, much less real life. Do you all have any advice? Do I just need to be literal about it and say "okay, I'm going to post here once a day, everyday, until I make some friends"? Or do I need to not be so literal about it and post as I please? How do I maintain the motivation to stay? I have a lifelong habit of keeping this lonely status quo and I need to break myself out of it somehow, but I'm at a loss when I can't even socialize effectively on the internet of all places.

Even I am not good at socializing online. So what happens?

Latest posts

Back