Has anyone tried any vitamins or supplements for depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eh?

Just wondering if anyone has and if they had any recommendations.

I honestly am not often depressed and certainly not depressed enough to be on medication. But I found a link with various vitamins and extracts that help with depression.
The two I have tried were Schisandra and Passionflower.
I read up on the side affects and they were either non-existent or very minor.

They both seem to work to a degree. But then again, it may be the placebo factor.

If I find the link, I will post it here.

When I get into a funk I sometimes take an herb called St. John's Wort. It seems to help.

Hi there eh?

I do not know if there is any ones that you can take that well make you feel better. But I do know of a person on here that would know the answer to this. [Princess Cleocatra I am sure she would not mind you PM'ing her to fined out :) She is very good at this kinder stuff as it is what she is studying. If I wonted to know anything about this it is her I would ask.

I can't help sorry...I am trying to deal with things through a counsellor...which is a little more expensive than the NHS prescription lol.

If they ever do put it in a bottle then I think that would be easier for all of us lol.

I heard about St. John's Wort. Its easy enough to find. I will give it a look. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip, Bluey.

If i could, i would get a counselor haha.

I have tried to take some supplements and they just didn't work for me. I think a sugar pill that someone gives you for cheap will be good, due to the placebo effect. Like... Without you knowing get them to somehow give you those sugar pills :p.

But yeah. I have no idea, I really want something though. Thanks for the links.

I take some Green Tea,...um...I don't know if it helps, but I believe it does. I mean...I want to believe it does and I feel better everytime i have some. It's all about believing, if you know what I mean. ^__^

I'd like to try those St John's Wort, but...I can't find them anywhere. I can't take anti-depressants either because I'm just 18 and..I'm afraid to see a doctor by myself. I'd go with my mother, but if she knows about how I feel, she'd be so worried, and I don't want that.

Eh?> Thanks for the link, it's really useful.

Blue...go to a natural health food store...they usually carry all sorts of fresh herbs and/or herbal teas. I've seen St. Johns Wort many times there.

i havent taken suppliments specifically designed to help depression but when i was on a high protein diet and going to the gym regularly i got all hypo and was pretty much never sad.

I have been quite a bit better since drinking tea... mostly black tea.
But then again, this is about the same time I started reading about psychology and Buddhism.
It is hard to tell. But before all of that, I was taking more vitamin D.
It may have been the placebo affect but it worked for a while.

I take vitamin D and I don't know if it helps

but I do know my memory is horrible if I don't take my fish oil. For a while before I was taking the fish oil I would forget where everything was. I lost my purse many times, I was always walking into a room and then forgetting what I was there for, couldn't remember what I did that morning or the day before. Whole weeks were missing from my memory. I kept a diary and played detective to find out what my week was like.

Now I have some of this stuff once in a while but it's so much better and easier to function. Not to mention my grades are up.

Highly recommend the fish oil.

I have tried all the herbal supplements for depression and none have ever helped me. I am now currently taking B-12 everyday and it gives me a HUGE boost of energy. I do feel better. I also have my Doctor give me a B-12 shot once a month. I feel great for about a week after having the shot.

Solace said:
I take vitamin D and I don't know if it helps

but I do know my memory is horrible if I don't take my fish oil. For a while before I was taking the fish oil I would forget where everything was. I lost my purse many times, I was always walking into a room and then forgetting what I was there for, couldn't remember what I did that morning or the day before. Whole weeks were missing from my memory. I kept a diary and played detective to find out what my week was like.

Now I have some of this stuff once in a while but it's so much better and easier to function. Not to mention my grades are up.

Highly recommend the fish oil.

From the one study I did read, you need either large doses of Vitamin D or to be using it for quite a while for it to take affect.

Latest posts

Back