My roommate can really upset me pretty bad sometimes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLonely79

Reaction score
So I have my own place and I need a roommate to help stay a float. He's been here since September and my God, he can piss me off something fierce. Whew, like no joke. We have had many different issues.

Well, this week, I'm pretty sure he's been eating my food. In fact I caught him red handed and he made no apologies. That's the part that pisses me of the worst. Like, how ******* dare you.  He's so entitiled to everything and no matter how many times I put this ******* in his place, he never listens.  What even pisses me off even more is that, he spent his money on a new phone , 350.00, that he didn't need and now he has no money for food. Not my ******* fault.  This started on Easter when he had nothing to eat. I fed him because it was Easter for crying out loud. I would feed my worst enemy on Easter. Well you give this MF an inch , he will take 10 miles. I've been feeding him every **** day somehow. He is one slick *******. He comes in when I'm cooking dinner and gives you sad eyes and won't leave you the fresia alone until you say "do you want some?" and I'm rude as fresia when I say it and he still eats it, all of it. 

I made chicken salad today and it looks like he ate it.... my food....again. I'm going to have to stop this somehow. I should never had offer to feed him on Easter. I know how he is. If you give him any lee way, he will take advantage of it to the fullest extent and it's so hard to stop him when that happens. It's literally like trying to stop an out of control freight train. It really is.  

This is taking a toll on me. I don't have money like that to be feeding everybody all the time. This is stuff I make and prepare for the week.

Start charging him extra for food, if he is eating yours. Make up a contract of sorts and state in it flat out that any food he eats that is yours, he will be charged for it. Then lock up everything but some cheap ramen noodles. lol

Agree with Callie about the locking stuff up thing. It's a shame when it comes to that, but I had to do it when I had roommates who helped themselves to my food, used my dishes and expected me to wash them, etc. Keep everything you can locked in your room, maybe invest in or borrow a mini fridge for perishables (if you're able to do so). If you're financially stuck with this person, sometimes these measures have to be taken. Good luck.

You can also start mixing your food in front of him and licking the spoon and putting it right back into your chicken salad.  I'd test him first, ask him if the pudding you are eating tastes funny, but use the same spoon.  If he makes a face, then he may not want to eat your food if he sees a licked spoon going back into the food.  Hell, I'd fake cough on it too...anything to gross him out.  If all else fails, laxative brownies to the rescue...that will learn him :)  I ******* hate moochers.

Hazel_Flagg said:
Agree with Callie about the locking stuff up thing.  It's a shame when it comes to that, but I had to do it when I had roommates who helped themselves to my food, used my dishes and expected me to wash them, etc.  Keep everything you can locked in your room, maybe invest in or borrow a mini fridge for perishables (if you're able to do so).  If you're financially stuck with this person, sometimes these measures have to be taken.  Good luck.

You're so right. That's exactly what I needed to hear, thank you.

Callie, you read my mind. I sent him an email because I couldn't wait and he is at work. Beautiful Loser, you are so funny, he would STILL eat if I licked the spoon, trust me, I already thought of that but I know he would still eat it. I swear, the only thing I could do is maybe put my pubic hairs (disgusting, I know, but desperate) and lay them on top of my food. Something tells me, he might still try to eat it but going around the hairs. If he did that, I would be so ******* disgusted and shocked, but I think he would not do it if he saw that. He has to have some boundries.

I once had the same kind of problem when I had to share housing with someone I didn't already know. When he refused to be reasonable I put hasps and padlocks on my cupboards and kept my refrigerated items in plastic storage boxes that I'd fitted with small padlocks.

OK, it solved the logistics but the interpersonal vibes were a little uncomfortable when we were both in the kitchen and I had to unlock supplies in order to prepare a bite to eat. And he twisted things to put it on me like I was some kind of retentive miser or something.

The point I'm making is that locking up my groceries solved the logistics of his pilfering food that I couldn't afford to keep giving him, but it did not resolve the interpersonal issue of two people sharing an apartment and one of them claiming the right to be a parasite. I'm afraid I didn't have the social skills to manage a more authentic resolution of the problem. Eventually I moved out, a buddy of his moved in and they were both evicted for not paying the rent.

If I was in your position MissLonely, I think I'd put it to him that I've already lived through some trying circumstances and his mooching is a stress that I don't deserve and he needs to change his habits or find somewhere else to live.
Another option is to establish an apartment staple food pantry that you both pay for.....but that would take cooperation and agreement on what to stock up on and would only work if both parties actually did their part, paying up, doing the shopping and only eating their fair share.

And if he comes up short on his end of the bargain, leave some hairs in the mayonnaise.

constant stranger said:
I once had the same kind of problem when I had to share housing with someone I didn't already know.  When he refused to be reasonable I put hasps and padlocks on my cupboards and kept my refrigerated items in plastic storage boxes that I'd fitted with small padlocks.

OK, it solved the logistics but the interpersonal vibes were a little uncomfortable when we were both in the kitchen and I had to unlock supplies in order to prepare a bite to eat.  And he twisted things to put it on me like I was some kind of retentive miser or something.

The point I'm making is that locking up my groceries solved the logistics of his pilfering food that I couldn't afford to keep giving him, but it did not resolve the interpersonal issue of two people sharing an apartment and one of them claiming the right to be a parasite.  I'm afraid I didn't have the social skills to manage a more authentic resolution of the problem.  Eventually I moved out, a buddy of his moved in and they were both evicted for not paying the rent.

If I was in your position MissLonely, I think I'd put it to him that I've already lived through some trying circumstances and his mooching is a stress that I don't deserve and he needs to change his habits or find somewhere else to live.
Another option is to establish an apartment staple food pantry that you both pay for.....but that would take cooperation and agreement on what to stock up on and would only work if both parties actually did their part, paying up, doing the shopping and only eating their fair share.

And if he comes up short on his end of the bargain, leave some hairs in the mayonnaise.

Thank you CS and you are so right about everything and  the apartment stable food pantry is actually a really good idea, thank you for that.

And you made me literally laugh out loud reading your last comment! I needed that !

Latest posts

Back